I hate knotty wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you get a ugly knotted one like that cut her down to size and put a bag over her head. the wood burner wont even know how ugly it is!

And while we are on the subject.... doesnt ugly wood/ knotty wood heat better because a tree is much more dense around those areas? or am i still half asleep?

I love those!

I save them in a pile and bring one out when I've been arguing with the wife! :D Or when I just need some exercise! There are no knots that can't be split with a sledge, a couple of wedges and a good axe. Look at it as a challenge!

/Pontus

I love those!

I save them in a pile and bring one out when I've been arguing with the wife! :D Or when I just need some exercise! There are no knots that can't be split with a sledge, a couple of wedges and a good axe. Look at it as a challenge!

/Pontus

Oh it was a challenge that was succedding in pissing me off. LOL! I then got it split after this and threw it in the uglie pile. I got a big uglie pile that I need to get down to a reasonable size.

Oh it was a challenge that was succedding in pissing me off. LOL! I then got it split after this and threw it in the uglie pile. I got a big uglie pile that I need to get down to a reasonable size.

good luck but be carefull. dont get hit in the face with an ugly stick.

Fire ring fuel.

Oversize and uglies. 3 rows, about 4' high by 10' long.

attachment.php

More oversize and uglies. Oh, and the old belt drive buzz saw we used to cut kindling to length. Scarey thing, now retired.

attachment.php

Fire ring fuel.

Oversize and uglies. 3 rows, about 4' high by 10' long.

attachment.php

More oversize and uglies. Oh, and the old belt drive buzz saw we used to cut kindling to length. Scarey thing, now retired.

attachment.php

My fire pit would love to eat those things up!

You know, I don't mind uglies that much. Those are the chunks I use to keep the plastic on on top of the stacks, then they turn into the "all nighters" I drop into the stove from the top opening door. I like 'em big fat and knotty! Last the best, throw heat, good coals in the morning.

And I can get so much wood I don't fool anymore with the real bad ones, split until they suck, then noodle to fit the stove, that's as small as I make them. I can drop in a 12x16 pretty easy from the top. I need 5 months worth a season, that's 150 or so big uglies, plus some during the day as well, just to keep the fire ticking over when you want to burn but not throw a lot of heat but "just enough", during the heat of the day, so now upwards of 300 a season. Ones I don't use to keep the plastic down get thrown in a heap, that's their stack. I mostly only burn the stacked splits and small rounds in the evenings and a few in the morning, then back to the big chunks on all but the real coldest days, or if it is drizzling/rainy/slimy cold out.

You know, I don't mind uglies that much. Those are the chunks I use to keep the plastic on on top of the stacks, then they turn into the "all nighters" I drop into the stove from the top opening door. I like 'em big fat and knotty! Last the best, throw heat, good coals in the morning.

And I can get so much wood I don't fool anymore with the real bad ones, split until they suck, then noodle to fit the stove, that's as small as I make them. I can drop in a 12x16 pretty easy from the top.

Our stove's not that big. We can load around 5x18 through the top. But most of those uglies really do make good heat.

I am going through a bunch of oak I cut up last winter and some that I got from a highway widening project. I started with my splitter because it was so hard. After 30 minutes I broke the splitter. I started in with the 8lb maul and after two long days split 4 cords.

I have plenty of ugly pieces of wood that will still fit in the firebox but are bigger than I like because of the knots. I make myself feel better by calling them all-nighters. It all looks the same when it comes out of the stove.

BTW The splitter broke going through that wood ... I didn't

Last edited:

And I can get so much wood I don't fool anymore with the real bad ones, split until they suck, then noodle to fit the stove, that's as small as I make them. I can drop in a 12x16 pretty easy from the top. I need 5 months worth a season, that's 150 or so big uglies, plus some during the day as well, just to keep the fire ticking over when you want to burn but not throw a lot of heat but "just enough", during the heat of the day, so now upwards of 300 a season. Ones I don't use to keep the plastic down get thrown in a heap, that's their stack. I mostly only burn the stacked splits and small rounds in the evenings and a few in the morning, then back to the big chunks on all but the real coldest days, or if it is drizzling/rainy/slimy cold out.

I don't even fool with those big chunks. I hate them :msp_mad:

You will never become a Jedi firewood knight with hate in your heart for the big ugly chunks.You must learn to use the force. Or fluid power as it's known here on Earth.:biggrin:

Do you think any of these words of wisdom rub off on Mr. Shane? Just sayin'.

I love crotched knotted oak. I bust it till it will fit through the stove door, and call it good. Very dense wood it is...heats long time...goooood...

Back