husqvarna 357xp or stihl ms261? help me out here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mostly ash at the minute, average dbh is about 18inches..i would be leaning towards the stihl as i have a stihl already plus its lighter. i just haven't heard much about the reliability of this model(261). cheers for the feedback

Is the ash dead and dry? If so, I know that it's real tough to cut. I started my thinning operation with a MS290 also, but it wore me out from slow cut speed. I bought a new MS362 to replace it, a good choice as it cuts much faster at less weight. I spent too much time on this site, then traded the MS362 on a new MS441RCM. The 441 cuts so fast that its hard to notice the extra 3lbs, but I sure noticed the 35% more money it took to own it. I also have a MS260 PRO and would not recommend it in ash over 8". If you're truly between the MS261 and 357xp, I'd try the 357xp.

Buy them both!

Buy them both. You won't dislike either one. It's just money, and spending money on equipment always brings a return of some kind. Worst case is you sell one and if it's kept in nice shape, you wont lose.

You will however get to come back and read the posts and be entertained as we tout our favorite brands! lol

I wish I had some ash on my property!

Is the ash dead and dry? If so, I know that it's real tough to cut. I started my thinning operation with a MS290 also, but it wore me out from slow cut speed. I bought a new MS362 to replace it, a good choice as it cuts much faster at less weight. I spent too much time on this site, then traded the MS362 on a new MS441RCM. The 441 cuts so fast that its hard to notice the extra 3lbs, but I sure noticed the 35% more money it took to own it. I also have a MS260 PRO and would not recommend it in ash over 8". If you're truly between the MS261 and 357xp, I'd try the 357xp.

its tough cutting alright but not dead and dry, its been left a bit late for first thinning, hence 18 inches dbh..rarely get first thinning sites with such big timber in ireland. very hard to make money at it in this country

Buy them both. You won't dislike either one. It's just money, and spending money on equipment always brings a return of some kind. Worst case is you sell one and if it's kept in nice shape, you wont lose.

You will however get to come back and read the posts and be entertained as we tout our favorite brands! lol

I wish I had some ash on my property!

its only money that i dont have though, if i could i sure would buy em both..timber wont make you wealthy in ireland!

its tough cutting alright but not dead and dry, its been left a bit late for first thinning, hence 18 inches dbh..rarely get first thinning sites with such big timber in ireland. very hard to make money at it in this country

In my area, emerald ash borer has wiped out the ash tree population as of the last five years. The 12"-20" DBH ash trees that were first affected have since fell by themselves and taken other near by trees down as well. Now an ash tree rarely makes it past 6" DBH before the borers kill it. If your ash are still green, a MS261 may be adequate.

Back