stihl 390 aghhh!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klayton

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just bought a stihl 390 off the list and only paid 30$ came with bar and chain so i got my $ out of it already. started to take it apart to put new cylinder in it and i'll be danged if it is not the hardest saw to work on i have come across. you have to take the whole thing apart to get a new cylinder/piston in it and I mean the whole thing. the 4 bolts on the bottom that take the cylinder off are seized bad they broke 2 #27 torx bits and i guess now i am going to have to grind them off to get em out. what a pain. I guess my question is, is this saw worth fixing?

Sounds like you need to buy a quality torx bit ( I suggest a Wiha T handle). If you stripped them you may have to drill the heads out to remove them. Or there may be an easier way. Also remember that the bottom pan is also held by the back bar stud. You can remove it with a stud remover (some say lock two bar nuts together on the threads and back the stud out). Otherwise it's got to come out if you plan to put the engine back together -- outside the case, and then reseat it in the cradle.

ok update... I drilled out the four bolts in the bottom of the saw and they were definitely installed with locktight from the last rebuild i can't even get them out of the cylinder with vise grips so that is crazy. any way now i can't get the clutch off i am sure it was crammed on with an air hammer!!! any suggestions i thought about heat but am scared i could hurt the cradle? piston and cylinder are absolute trash if they weren't before i started to rip saw apart:/ any ways i am soaking the clutch in pb blaster and am going to try that once the clutch is off i can order parts. what piston/cylinder is a good kit. Its a 290 and obviously the guy before put a 390 kit. thoughts?

oh yeah those torx bits did not strip they broke. and a t handle would not have done the job on this particular saw unless you had gorilla strength and then it probably would have broken the tool

yes i know
i use loctite when i rebuild dirtbikes, chainsaws, i understand loctite but this is different.

Nah, you just need to invest in an impact setup to remove those cyl. screws. The first bad try at removal, then you are pretty much screwed. The older 029saws had them screws in there for keeps, luckily the later models they were not that bad.....

the difference is this stuff does not turn loose. i had to grind flats on them to get them out of the cylinder. drilled em out and now i just need to get clutch off. going to use my brothers impact when he gets home. what engine kit should i get?

yeah i think i will stick to huskys from now on much easier to work on and they outrun stihl anyway!!

Back