029 Rebuilt!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adventurebob

monkeys and shakespeare, baby!
Reaction score
Father in law gave me an old 029 with a bow on it that didn't run. Pulled it all apart cleaned it up and figured out why it wouldn't run. Did a carb rebuild, all new hoses (0all three were cracked and leaking), replaced all the muffler bolts and a threw in a new gasket. Filled with fresh gas, pulled three times and she fired right up. Runs pretty good. Need to adjust the carb since he lives at sea level and I'm at 7600 ft. Now I'm going to put a regular bar and chain on it and see what she'll do. Felt pretty good as this was my first refurb of a saw.

Is it just a straight 029 or is it an 029 Super? Either way, it should be a nice saw. I have an 029 Super and it was a great running saw before I did my full rebuild. I still have yet to put it into wood since the rebuild.

The cylinder will say 029 46mm if it's a Super. It will be hard to see the writing if the saw is assembled though. Also, it's marked on the plastics if they're original. If you didn't already, this model really benefits from a simple muffler mod.

The 029 also benefits from an 039 kit. I do that to all the 029s I get in, assuming the piston and cylinder are shot. With an 039 kit, a muffler mod, and a carb adjust it feels like a different saw!
I never do anything but an 039 kit if I have to open the engine of one of these saws. I wouldn't upgrade a good runner but if you have to buy parts anyway, might as well move the saw up the ladder powerwise. A good running 039/MS390 will be all the firewood saw the average person would ever need. Of course, I'll deny that if someone asks me because I have to have a reason for the other 50 saws I have...

Like I really needed them but I bought 2 more saws today, another Echo top handle and a Jonsereds model unknown. I've looked the saw over and can't find a model number. It has the starter cover label intact but it doesn't mention the model...Oh, well, for $2 what can you expect.

A good running 039/MS390 will be all the firewood saw the average person would ever need. Of course, I'll deny that if someone asks me because I have to have a reason for the other 50 saws I have

I would have thought it was because you were far from average, and the 039 is still a good all-round saw. Got one myself, very nice.

Ok now need a bar/chain/sprocket for this beast. Want a light 20" bar. Suggestions welcome. It has a very thrashed 7 pin on it right now.

The 029 also benefits from an 039 kit. I do that to all the 029s I get in, assuming the piston and cylinder are shot. With an 039 kit, a muffler mod, and a carb adjust it feels like a different saw!
Here's an MS310 that I rebuilt with a 390 top end. It runs very well today:

It was shot before I started working on it. Hope you like the white oak pull-cord handle, but that's another story.

What is the difference in hp between the 029 and 039? I rebuilt a 29 for my cousin about 3 years ago and was not aware at that time that I could have gone with a 39 kit. He and his brother cut and saw up for sale 40 cords of hardwood every winter. I told him next time maybe if he wanted to we could do a 039 kit in it. But I was curious what the difference in power would really be.

About the same rpm on both saws, about 3/4 horsepower difference or so depending on the rest of the saw, muffler mod, tuning, etc. It seems worth it to me given how little it costs to install. 390 kits are as cheap or cheaper than 290 kits were a couple of years ago. Just buy from someone who's sold several and had few complaints.

About the same rpm on both saws, about 3/4 horsepower difference or so depending on the rest of the saw, muffler mod, tuning, etc. It seems worth it to me given how little it costs to install. 390 kits are as cheap or cheaper than 290 kits were a couple of years ago. Just buy from someone who's sold several and had few complaints.
Stihl rates the MS291 at 3.8 Hp and the MS391 at 4.4 Hp. Once again, the upgrade kit might make a difference, especially in final compression.

Back