Need a new kindling hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newforest

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, apologies if this is a worn topic around here somewhere. If so, please point me to the right discussion.

I'm shopping for a new hatchet. I don't have a lot of experience with splitting actual firewood with an axe; I have used a Monster Maul all of my life. Nothing can defeat the Monster Maul. But I have been starting to prefer keeping a ready supply of crispy-dry pine or fir around to chop up into kindling when needed. And I can't even describe to most people how super nice it is to run across the remains of exploded Birch trees on job-sites where I can pick up onion sacks full of birch bark a couple times a year and never fool with colored-ink-paper-or-cardboard at all any more.

A friend of mine with woods experience going back to before his teen-age years showed me a way to shop for hatchets, once upon a time when we had 3 to pick from. He suggested that the thickness of the metal behind the edge will ultimately determine how easy it is to sharpen it. And yeah, all 3 varieties of hatchet available in the Big Box store we were in at the time had edges that quickly thickened up dramatically behind the cut edge.

So what small old-time brand, maybe Made-In-The-USA, is not like that?

The only thought I have so far is Est-Wing, perhaps?

Normally I don't like to order things, I like to pick them up in my hands in an actual store. But I'm not optimistic on finding the hatchet I want in a store anywhere, anymore.

I have at least 5 hatchets and it really depends on the type of wood and where I'm using it for the one that gets grabbed. Fiskars makes a nice affordable one. Husky and Stihl hatchets are really nice with out going into the $100 plus works of art from Scandinavia and Germany. I have a cheap wood handled carpenters axe from tractor supply that's been getting a great deal of use for kindling. Basically I'm always looking for good hatchets cause they're one of the best tools in the shed.

I've got a really old, but like new, firewood buddy style axe. It's really just a little axe that I use to split kindling. I prefer some heft when splitting kindling as it makes it easier and requires less force to split them.
I think my Dad bought it years ago at Canadian Tire. I also have an Estwing hatchet with the traditional leather ringed handle that I rarely use.

The Estwing tools are very well made.

I don't know that I agree with your friends advice though as I normally buy tools based on their effectiveness versus ease of sharpening. I'd suggest you give the Fiskars hatchet or small axe a try.

I like my Estwing tools. I have several of their hammers that are something like 25 to 30 year old and still doing the job. My first Estwing hatchet was purchased back in 1963 and it's my Go2 that fits in my chainsaw box and or on the log splitter. I just purchased a new one a month ago because I wanted a second one for the ATV... Also have their small axe but only use that around the log splitter.. What every you buy, don't buy something cheap, buy good tools that will last your life time..

I've got a hatchet or two around here somewhere, but not sure I could find them if I wanted to. I use an axe for all my kindling work - a Fiskars X25 to be exact. No desire to use a hatchet, either my misplaced ones or a shiny new latest & greatest, the axe does it all, very well.

IMG_20140601_190309.jpg

My favorite kindling axe .

When it comes to stuff like hatchets, I like old ones. I collect double axes, I have several over 100 years old that are near razor sharp, but never use them. Like JeffKrib, I just take the ash bucket out and fill it with dead limbs I need to clean up anyway. I am lucky that I have an acre wooded lot with all Oak trees, so I get great kindling wood from the dead fall. I just started a fire with a hand full of Cherry noodles, one match and gone, Joe.

I keep a Simth and Wesson Hatchett next to the stove, http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-3087.asp. seldom use it. I can usually pull enough slivers and splinters off the already split wood to start a fire. I also take a 5gal bucket down to my splitting area and fill it up with bits and pieces. Leave it setting beside the stove. those little slivers are usually pretty thin and I just tear them apart by hand and a flick of the bic the fire is going. In real emergency, I also have one of those propane weed burners I stick in the stove to use as a lighter. Dont even need small kindling with that thing. Instant heat.

If you need a hatchet get one which feels nice and balanced in the hand. I bought a cheap one it's a piece of junk and feels horrible. I will end up spending money again. I don't make those sorts of mistakes any more.
Get a good one.

Fiskars. Got one on clearance at wally world for $17. It splits my shorties up to about 10" deep. That's a 3-8" short left over from cutting firewood length on a log. It's a bad mamma jamma.

I just bought an Estwing Fireside Friend and have had fun splitting kindling with it. I got tired of mashing up my nice little hatchet with a maul so I did a bit of shopping. Home Depot had it for the lowest price. I guess it's not really a hatchet though - more like a mini maul!

Back