Need a new kindling hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty partial to the small Fiskars splitting axe, but I've got an old dayton style axe head, about a 3-3 1/2 pounder that is very well balanced that works well for me.
I do like old tools too and that includes many axe and hatchet heads that I find at yards sales. Can't help myself. I've been HAD (hatchet addiction disorder) HaHa!

If you want a splitting hatchet for small stuff this one is pretty good. Fiskars X11 Belowd17daec1-bcc7-49f3-badd-a0134d90bffc_1000.jpg

Yup, that's one of my favorites. Good job lknchoppers for posting the photo.
The weight forward of the splitting head, the light handle with the finger hook/fawn foot makes this tool work very well. Much less fatigue than many "old school" tools that we still love.
The picture describes it best. Note that there is a difference between splitting and chopping heads with Fiskars brand. Worth your while to feel them in the store of your choice.

The X11 has more of a wedge shape similar to the larger Fiskars splitting mauls, the X7 does not. With the longer handle on the X11 you can get pretty aggressive and split a round as long as it's not too big. I keep it along with a moisture meter in my truck for when I go to buy wood. The Estwing will probably work pretty good too.

When I use a hatched it's usually in close proximity of my hand. The sharpness of the Fiskars scares me. I have an old 2 lb hatchet I just acquired that I like to use. Otherwise I just use a full size chopping axe and choke up on the handle near the head. It moves slower but carries enough energy to split kindling. I do not own a X11 unfortunately. My wife, bless her, gifted me the X7 for x-mas one year.

As I age, along with the tools that I love, I keep 'em sharp. When they're sharp, (and they are meant to be), I get the best performance and satisfaction while using them. Less fatigue while using the tool means more production while time spent.
Besides all that, I know where my first aid kits are located. Just in case. Usually it's just splinters that I've got to remove.

Back