Stihl MS261 C (Non-M-Tronic) Still Available?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've been told, the new improved and lightened 261 is available with a standard carb.
Very interesting!... So how is this saw designated? The "C" and "CM" designations are already taken. So what other improvements have been made? Were there issues that this new incarnation has addressed?

Just ordered one for a customer yesterday. She is going to drive 1:45 to pick it up because her local dealer claimed he could not get it. Thank you lazy local dealer...

From what I've been told, the new improved and lightened 261 is available with a standard carb.

Late to this thread but here we are Jan 2017 and I was at my high volume saw dealer yesterday who has always had for the last number of years, a slew of the newest m-tronic and autotune saws on his shelves. But to my surprise, there were now zero m-tronic saws and zero autotune saws anywhere in the store! The head sales guy wasn't around to ask why, but I've heard grumblings from their back room guys that they are fed up with the numbers of new autotune and m-tronic saws coming back - they *may be sticking with what they know and can most easily service.

I had a double take on the new ms 261 saws with the nice new clutch cover and was surprised so see it had 3 holes for tuning the carb. I had assumed the standard carb versions were a thing of the past and would no longer be upgraded or available (standard carb versions do not show as available on Stihl's Cdn site).

I'll be interested to see what my dealer brings in this Spring in the way of new stock.

Very interesting!... So how is this saw designated? The "C" and "CM" designations are already taken. So what other improvements have been made? Were there issues that this new incarnation has addressed?

Designation on the Non m-tronic saw was simply "MS261". I forgot to look for serial # build date but they definitely weren't old stock - they had 4 MS261's on the shelf and they all had the nice new clutch cover design.

Go ahead, drink the Kool Aid.
My primary firewood saw has been my 028WB that I bought new in 1982. Love it!!
I rebuilt an MS261CMZ that had been run on lean gas/oil mix about 3 years ago and have been using it more and more. The first couple times I ran it, I pulled the muffler and checked the piston after each use, No problem. I use this saw more than my trustworthy old 028, which has cut 120+ cords of wood since new. I LOVE how the Mtronic saw starts and runs! After 3 years, I trust it and hope to keep it for the rest of my life. I still use the 028 at my lake house, but its has an easier life now, it lounges at Lake Anna and gets fed nothing but Moto Mix for its occasional workout.
CMZ (Mtronic saws) have virtually no problems that aren't mechanical in nature- bad gas, clogged fuel filter, gross operator stupidity, etc. Very rarely does a solenoid valve act up. or is there any electronic problem. I believe in Mtronic and look forward to the next generation of electronic engine management. Seriously, does anyone miss breaker points or Tyrannosaurus Rex?
I certainly don't.
Get an Mtronic saw and treat it with respect. Its a fantastic unit.

Latest posts

Back