Stihl MS201TC M won't start after being run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crotchclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got an odd problem with a 201TC Mtronic. I replaced the C&P with a Meteor kit a few weeks ago after it got straight gassed. Another climber used it for a few weeks without issues then he told me it would die or not rev up after use of a few minutes. I tried it, ran perfectly making cuts for a couple of minutes, then when I let it go to idle it died and refuses to restart. I'm thinking the ignition might be bad but I don't really know. Opening and closing the fuel tank doesn't affect it so I doubt it is tank vent related.

Pretty sure ignition module is bad. I checked for spark when warm and had none. Sprayed carb cleaner and canned air liquid onto module to cool it off, then it fired right up. Off to the dealer to get a new ignition.

I've seen it before where a coil shorts out when heated up but works fine when cold look up testing it and check it w a multimeter or just replace it Also check your carb settings my husky did that and needed carb richend up

It was last summer guys, probably already got it figured out :).
Hopefully he'll respond and let us know for sure, open threads like this always bother me. Then again maybe he was bothered that no one responded when he asked for help.

Actually the saw is still sitting on the bench. It's not the coil. I swapped it out with one from another 201tcm that got dropped. Problem persisted. Swapped carbs and that didn't fix it either. Next step is to take it apart to do a vacuum/pressure test. This saw is owned by the company I work for.

Actually the saw is still sitting on the bench. It's not the coil. I swapped it out with one from another 201tcm that got dropped. Problem persisted. Swapped carbs and that didn't fix it either. Next step is to take it apart to do a vacuum/pressure test. This saw is owned by the company I work for.
Don't worry, you can always get to it next year lol. Many times the projects I buy get sold before I ever get a chance to work on them, I'm glad others need them more than me.
Thanks for the reply, just saw it was still open and figured I'd ask for a followup.
Keep us up to date,
Brett

Back