What a waste...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlue

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Knock-offs or not, this is an incredible waste of machinery. Too bad they couldn't have confiscated them, fined the seller, and then used the fine to re-mark them as obvious forgeries and sell them as clones. Or just give them away to people.

I know this is a FB link but don't know how else to share the pictures. This is not my FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/tecmac.tc/posts/2177424542584326

e1ad8782a4930a376ece847249f719dc.jpg

Erik

It’s a wonder to me why somebody who has the capability to manufacture would blatantly copy someone else’s stuff and pass it off as that other’s stuff.

No pride.

It’s a wonder to me why somebody who has the capability to manufacture would blatantly copy someone else’s stuff and pass it off as that other’s stuff.

No pride.

Money, it’s easier to copy someone else’s product when there are no ramifications than try to create your own product.

Oh yeah, certain Chinese factories are great at patent infringement.

most westerners, love to buy new shiney objects and name brands bring bigger bucks than generic, they should have just put their own brand name on them mark em up a little and move them out
what a waste of machinery is right, but then i'm the kind of person that rebuilds everything that can be rebuilt

Only the tip of the iceberg though, hundreds of 40' shipping containers full of these knockoffs shipped out of China each month destined for this side of the ocean.

Actually the situation in the US and Europe is not as bad as many believe. Yes, there are knockoffs and even some downright counterfeits, but they are not sold out in the open, but mostly by shady characters out of the back of a brand new van on a Polish/Romanian/Ukrainian/Bulgarian registration plate or shadier characters on Gumtree and other websited.

But go to Manila: 070 and MS660 clones are sold in the open, invariably stamped "Stihl" and even stamped with genuinely-looking serials. The funniest I saw had a sign saying "Stihl 070 Original! Made in Italy"! :laugh:
You can buy one of these clones with a 36" bar for less than a third of a genuine MS070. And it's the same all throughout the "rest" of the world.

I am actually surprised somebody was so brazen to attempt shipping so many counterfeits to Brazil, which is basically Stihl country, and not so surprised he got caught, since authorities in Brazil can be very efficient if sufficiently motivated. ;)

About 10 years ago, I took my camera to the Expo in Louisville, and signs everywhere said "no Cameras".
I asked everywhere If I could take a few pics of their new stuff, and they all said, "As long as you are not Chinese!!!"

There’s a guy who assembles and sells kit saws on my local Craigslist... usually the ad will be for a “new Stihl MS660” with no mention of non-OEM parts. Most people don’t know the difference, I guess.

Nah, if they resold it and disclosed that it was a fake it would just end up being resold again as the real thing. Reproductions and copies can be a benefit to the marketplace, but out and out counterfeits just result in honest companies losing money and reputation and consumers getting substandard products.

Just yesterday a guy on a FB chainsaw page was selling a 660 clone for $600. He put 660 copy in the title but he also put Stihl stickers on it to make it look legit. He also didnt repeat that it was a copy or chineese clone saw... I have no sympathy for anyone or the garbage they are crushing.

Latest posts

Back