McCulloch 125c SP (Searching for Parts)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worth restoring and using agian as it should be used?

• Yes ... (Taste wood chips and refile every tooth and raker, and like it!)

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No way ... (It should sit on a coffee table keeping TV Digest company.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cake for All

Reaction score
Hello,

Parts I am looking for (as I know for now):

PN: 86124 - Crankcase bottom, Cover
(This part separates the bar-oil compartment from the crankcase assembly)
(The issue with this part: There is a hole in it .. allowing bar-oil into the crankcase.)

PN: 85459 - Muffler, Guard
(This part is missing / though not too important to find. Just looking for one at the right price.
(I did find one, fella wanted $125 ... so, I passed on it.)

Look forward to any assistance by links to CL adverts, ebay links, or have parts willing to sell me via paypal.

I am happy to get this saw, and look forward to felling some trees with it, when up and running.IMG_20180308_024546_092[1].jpg

Back Story:
I recently was given a McCulloch SuperPro 125c. ... Yes, given. I was not aware what I was given from the old lumberjack. Until, I started looking for parts and realizing what I was given. I certainly want to get this saw up and running and stop by the retired lumberjacks place and get a chance to have him to see the thing running again.

It took place in Central Oregon as I was at an ole'fellas yard-sale. I just happen to ask if he had a chainsaw to sell. He came back with this monstrosity of a chainsaw. Told me it no longer worked and it has been sitting since the 90's. I asked; what would he take for it. He inquired; to what would I offer. My sister (whom was with me on a road trip) offered $25. He said, "Sold!" (As my sister was rummaging in the car for the extra $5 as I only had $20 in my pocket). I told him I was going to use it on clearing some trees out on the family property. He said, "Oh! You want to use it? I thought you two were collectors." I stated, "No, I will fix the saw as I need to use it." He gave me back my twenty and stated that, "I'll need the cash for the parts; if I could find them." In return, I have him some oranges and a grapefruit from a fruit stand a couple towns back.

Good find! Awesome story. . . There are a few guys here that will probably have what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stuffer you can fix. Have it bead blasted and fill the void on the
oil tank side with JB weld. The muffler guard will be a tough one as
they were often broken. Just keep an eye on ebay.

Nice find. They are great saws.

As Lee mentions a good condition muffler guard is almost impossible to find. It's one of the first parts broken on those saws. A few new-old-stock ones came up on ebay a couple years ago and they were fetching upwards of $100 each. Your best bet is to try some of the old time saw shops around western Oregon. Drain saw shop had quite a few 125 parts in stock but the shop changed hands a couple years ago and I haven't been in there since. Jack, the old timer that started the shop, fell timber for 25 years and 125s were the main saws he used most of that time. I spent a lot of time there in the early 2000's and He would tell me many timber falling stories.

The stuffer you can fix. Have it bead blasted and fill the void on the
oil tank side with JB weld. The muffler guard will be a tough one as
they were often broken. Just keep an eye on ebay.

Nice find. They are great saws.

I had certainly thought about the JB weld.
The corrosion to the plate is pretty bad as water had permeated into saw.
The plate is pitted badly through-out and the hole is about a 1/2" in diameter (the hole is from the weakest point of the pitted wall to fail).
In summary, the Crank Case cover is not recoverable (sadly).

I appreciate the suggestion and something worth taking note for others whom may be reading this.
I also suggest (others taking note) that cleaning out the corrosion areas, try to seal it up with a epoxy polyamide.

As Lee mentions a good condition muffler guard is almost impossible to find. It's one of the first parts broken on those saws. A few new-old-stock ones came up on ebay a couple years ago and they were fetching upwards of $100 each. Your best bet is to try some of the old time saw shops around western Oregon. Drain saw shop had quite a few 125 parts in stock but the shop changed hands a couple years ago and I haven't been in there since. Jack, the old timer that started the shop, fell timber for 25 years and 125s were the main saws he used most of that time. I spent a lot of time there in the early 2000's and He would tell me many timber falling stories.

Thanks for the suggested locations. I will do some research on saw places with your leads, mentioned.
I had done a search, 6 months ago. No luck on finding saw shops with the knowledge or experience on the 125.
Most responses were ... a 125cc what!!; I've never worked on a saw that large. (Ha!) That told me right there, not the shop with parts.

Ya, 100 is a bit much for me to spend on a cover. I'd use that kind of money on more important parts for the saw.
Especially, when I might end up breaking the very part down the road. Till then, I'll just continue to look for a cheaper cost one.

Hello,

(The issue with this part: There is a hole in it .. allowing bar-oil into the crankcase.)

(This part is missing / though not too important to find. Just looking for one at the right price.

Look forward to any assistance by links to CL adverts, ebay links, or have parts willing to sell me via paypal.

I am happy to get this saw, and look forward to felling some trees with it, when up and running.View attachment 637943

Back Story:
I recently was given a McCulloch SuperPro 125c. ... Yes, given. I was not aware what I was given from the old lumberjack. Until, I started looking for parts and realizing what I was given. I certainly want to get this saw up and running and stop by the retired lumberjacks place and get a chance to have him to see the thing running again.

It took place in Central Oregon as I was at an ole'fellas yard-sale. I just happen to ask if he had a chainsaw to sell. He came back with this monstrosity of a chainsaw. Told me it no longer worked and it has been sitting since the 90's. I asked; what would he take for it. He inquired; to what would I offer. My sister (whom was with me on a road trip) offered $25. He said, "Sold!" (As my sister was rummaging in the car for the extra $5 as I only had $20 in my pocket). I told him I was going to use it on clearing some trees out on the family property. He said, "Oh! You want to use it? I thought you two were collectors." I stated, "No, I will fix the saw as I need to use it." He gave me back my twenty and stated that, "I'll need the cash for the parts; if I could find them." In return, I have him some oranges and a grapefruit from a fruit stand a couple towns back.

Hey Cake For All - I think I've got the Muffler Guard you're looking for. Let me know if you get this message. Thanks, Neil

Hello,

I am happy to get this saw, and look forward to felling some trees with it, when up and running.View attachment 637943

Back Story:

Did you find the crankcase stuffer plate you were looking for? I may have one somewhere in my shed.

Latest posts

Back