How often do you service the?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
do you ever service the pull start or do you wait till it breaks?

Disassemble, clean, oil spring, grease the stud, new rope?

It’s like asking how often do you clean the clutch cover and grease the clutch drum bearing? Grease the bar nose sprocket?

How about cleaning the air filter?

If you want chain saw longevity maintenance is the key to chain saw survival. It’s not how tough your brand of saw is it’s can you afford the saw break downs. It’s in your control.

Don’t over grease it just a little will do on the stud a washer covers it. Even the spring is covered.

1.Disassemble, clean, oil spring, grease the stud, new rope?

I inspect and lube it Often before it breaks. Recoil spring breakage is due to lack of lube, dry the spring binds.

2.It’s like asking how often do you clean the clutch cover and grease the clutch drum bearing? Grease the bar nose sprocket?

Every night after a day of cutting. The chain gets sharpened too. Before supper.

3. How about cleaning the air filter? Every night after cutting. I wash it with ether nylon mesh. It removes any oils that get into it.

My saws are ready to go the next day before I eat and shower.

If you want chain saw longevity maintenance is the key to chain saw survival. It’s not how tough your brand of saw is it’s can you afford the saw break downs. It’s in your control.[/QUOTE]

Every machine is a little different. Even ones right next to each other on the assembly line. I run the starters dry and disassemble only if they start acting up. Which reminds me...my 262 started to stick a bit the other day. Time for a cleaning.

:chainsaw:

I use a moly grease or anti seeze.

Moly,

Eliminates all wear.
Reduces friction.
Prevents galling.
Fights corrosion.

You can burnish the paste in then just leave a small amount to lube it.

My saws don't get used like the use to. Haven't ran one in over a month. Got a few trees broken over but they are pretty dangerous. Waiting on the creek bottom to dry out some more before going in with the bobcat. Makes dropping these mess you up trees a little bit safer. When I was cutting a good bit, once a month I'd pull all covers, bar and chain and do a good cleaning and lubing up, including the sprocket bearing.

Steve

Never have had the cover off my 362. I bought it 2 years ago. Granted only have maybe 25hrs on it.

In all my years i've only had one starter spring issue and one broken rope. Both were under 10 bucks to fix so servicing them is not worth it.

Stihl doesn't have a hole for bar nose greasing.....
I only put a tiny dab of grease on a sprocket bearing when I happen to have the sprocket off, and it looks dry. And on Stihl, no clutch removal is needed there.

When you do this starter thing, do you remove and clean the spring?

There is great stuff they use in bicycles for this. It is made for chains. It has a carrier which evaporates, then the chain runs for months w/no lube.

The stuff I use is called ? Dumonde tech?

Put that inside, let it evaporate, then good to go.

Dry and no pickup of dust/dirt.

This is the stuff I was speaking of. It is amazing on bicycle chains. I have since used it on any place that needs lube and you don't want dirt to adhere to. They also make a formulation for firearms. The stuff is amazing. I put it on a bike chain and ride months with no wear/squeaks even though the chain appears dry.

https://www.dumondetech.com/portfolio/bicycle-chain-lube-bcl-original-formula/

Preparation and Application of Dumonde Tech Original Chain Lube:

To prepare for maximum performance from Dumonde Tech Original Chain Lube, use a high quality solvent to thoroughly clean and dry the chain before the first application. You will only need to clean the chain once, prior to the first application of Original. For optimum performance, 2-3 applications is required for the bonding process to occur through polymerization.

Apply sparingly and wipe off excess lubricant with a clean cloth to the point where the chain’s outer surface appears dry. One ounce of Dumonde Tech should give you at least 10 applications. Refer to FAQ if you experience a wet and/or dirty chain after riding.

Re-apply Dumonde Tech Original only when you begin to hear your chain; sound, not appearance or time, is the best indicator of when the chain needs a reapplication of Original. Use mild soap and water to clean between applications.

There is more of a chance some thing will be screwed up by constant cleaning than not. Not very many people wear out a saw. I will bet that I am one of the few that can try to get through a 1000 cords of wood before retiring a saw. The mortality of a saw often depends on many other issues besides how clean it is. A couple of years ago I hid a pretty new saw in a wilderness area and have not been back since. I do not know if there is a chance it is still serviceable or not. I am hoping that I can get back to that area and check it out. I take a new saw with a bar and chain and run it until the chain is worn out then clean it thoroughly put a new chain on and repeat. It has been 10 years since I had a starter rope fray. It has been 20 years since I picked up a saw and ran the saw until the compression became so low it would not power a chain through some wood. I do have spare filters for all my saws and back up saws also. More often a problem arises with the carburetor from some debris arriving through the fuel. Cleaning a saw can cause debris to get trapped into the system. I however do not like dirty saws so when the chain is sharp there will be little to no dust on the saw. Thanks

Stihl doesn't have a hole for bar nose greasing.....
I only put a tiny dab of grease on a sprocket bearing when I happen to have the sprocket off, and it looks dry. And on Stihl, no clutch removal is needed there.
When you do this starter thing, do you remove and clean the spring?

Some Stihl bars do not have a grease tip hole. I try to change out the tips with a grease hole type. Thanks

The ol Stihl bars had a grease port. I don't lube recoil springs...been there, done that. But starter ropes I replace when I see them starting to wear or get stiff. I bought 2 100ft rolls from Stens in 3.3mm & 4.5mm from memory. Cost me about the same as 1 OEM replacement.

I think Stihl says to lubricate the recoil spring from time to time. I always spray a bit of that evaporating lithium grease when I do a starter cord for a customer. Also a good time to check for excessive corrosion and rust.
To be honest I see the value in an ounce of prevention here. Some guys bring in old Poulan 4218s which are *not* robust saws, that have a lot of time on them that kept working because the owner took care of it. Seen plenty of Stihl's that are complete dog crap because the owner never even bothered to clean/replace the air filter.

This is the stuff I was speaking of. It is amazing on bicycle chains. I have since used it on any place that needs lube and you don't want dirt to adhere to. They also make a formulation for firearms. The stuff is amazing. I put it on a bike chain and ride months with no wear/squeaks even though the chain appears dry.

https://www.dumondetech.com/portfolio/bicycle-chain-lube-bcl-original-formula/

Preparation and Application of Dumonde Tech Original Chain Lube:

To prepare for maximum performance from Dumonde Tech Original Chain Lube, use a high quality solvent to thoroughly clean and dry the chain before the first application. You will only need to clean the chain once, prior to the first application of Original. For optimum performance, 2-3 applications is required for the bonding process to occur through polymerization.

Apply sparingly and wipe off excess lubricant with a clean cloth to the point where the chain’s outer surface appears dry. One ounce of Dumonde Tech should give you at least 10 applications. Refer to FAQ if you experience a wet and/or dirty chain after riding.

Re-apply Dumonde Tech Original only when you begin to hear your chain; sound, not appearance or time, is the best indicator of when the chain needs a reapplication of Original. Use mild soap and water to clean between applications.

BUMP!!!

If you don't believe me, put this on a bike or motorcycle chain. It runs MONTHS dry w/no other lube.

Think about that in chainsaw applications??

If you want to be ignorant.......that's O.K. with me.

You can fix ignorant, dumb is just dumb

Latest posts

Back