461 enough more than a 440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a 440 at least. Dead mesquite trees are rock hard. 1/2 a tank dulled a brand new stihl chain this morning. I think I could save time with a 660 even, but it’s too heavy to be worth it.

Yep, cutting "rock" will sort out the best of standard chain.
Your tricked out 440 with TCT chain?
Dance with the one you brung. :dancing:

I need a 440 at least. Dead mesquite trees are rock hard. 1/2 a tank dulled a brand new stihl chain this morning. I think I could save time with a 660 even, but it’s too heavy to be worth it.

Tannerite!

Blow the F'er up. And have some fun.

tannerite1.jpg

Maybe I would be better off just getting a 500 now from overseas. Anyone had any issues with one that would make me want a warranty?
I was looking at the weights of different saws and seems that’s gonna really be the king.
Definitely a strong runner. Lighter than my 462. I haven't heard of any problems but i don't think there are that many here yet. @leadfarmer was kind enough to bring his Saturday to our GTG for us to run. This is the first tank in a brand new saw so I'm sure it will get stonger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=h-OfbhX4XqM

Cod turn your 440 into a 440/460 hybrid (and not look back) as well.
Brother did that to his. This saw is getting pretty old though. It’s got to where I’m putting quite a few parts in it. Perfect for someone who needs to cut 10 cords a year for themself. Not so good for me trying to cut 10 a week.

Not until you get to a 28” bar, I think. They’re both very good to that point. Once you get longer the 461 snorts and hunkers down whereas the 440, being more of a high winder, kind of slows down and can’t hold the RPM.

Or at least that’s been my experience with speed. I also think the 461 is a slightly smoother saw than a 440. But unless I was running a long bar, if I had a good 440 there’s no way I’d go out and spend the money to replace it with a 461 just to replace it.

Brother did that to his. This saw is getting pretty old though. It’s got to where I’m putting quite a few parts in it. Perfect for someone who needs to cut 10 cords a year for themself. Not so good for me trying to cut 10 a week.
If you had the saw gone through there is no reason it wouldn’t do what you need.

But I do see what you’re saying. For production/commercial use, there is a point where you just buy new and move on. Factor in as a business expense.

If you had the saw gone through there is no reason it wouldn’t do what you need.

But I do see what you’re saying. For production/commercial use, there is a point where you just buy new and move on. Factor in as a business expense.
Yea, and if I can’t sell it for descent money that’s probably what I’ll do.
Back before I took a little break from selling firewood in bulk I never ran a saw more than a year. Back when I bought 036’s I’d run one for 150 cords and sell it on eBay for 2/3 of what I paid for it. When I switched to 440’s I’d buy a new one in the late fall and trade it in or sell it in early spring. The ones I have now were kept for various reasons. The modded one got thrown off my flatbed when it was new and the handle broke. Handle was $175 at that time so I ran it for 400 cords like that before I put a new handle on it when I did the motor work. The other one was one of the last ones from then and got kept since I wasn’t doing enough to justify trading. They just did tree trimming/removal jobs and family firewood for 6 years in there.

Back