Toasted my clone ms660 on amsoil at 100:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a small bottle of amsoil, and have run it at 100-1 with no ill effects. The stuff I have is VERY thick, seems to have high tack, is quite a bit harder to mix with gas, and is twice as opaque when mixed at 100-1 then regular stuff at 50-1.
In the future I will be mixing it at a lower ratio for added insurance, but its probably perfectly fine with normal demand equipment.

My uncle's 024 av super has been using optimal at 100-1 since it was new, has cut hundreds of cords of wood and still runs great. However, we were warned not to store the saw with anything less than 50-1 to prevent RUST in the bottom end.

I still do not understand why some insist on dancing with the devil for no reason whatsoever. When you've been in saws ran on STUPID lean mix, you will change your mind fast. The very fact they don't recommend lean mix for storage says it all, there's no residual oil coating the metal, and that is exactly what I've seen with 100:1 type mix. Just because something hasn't blown completely apart, doesn't mean damage hasn't been done.

Amsoil is not that viscous! Compare it Klotz R50 and get bact to me. A concentrated oil does not make up for lack of volume in the fuel.

Nothing gets chainsaw owners heated up like the oil mix debate! Here's more fuel for the fire, that 024 super of my uncle's was stored outside (with 100-1 mix) in all sorts of conditions, and has never experienced rust problems.

Even though I store my saws indoors and don't have to worry about rust, my saws are old and hard to find parts for, so I won't be running such a lean mix in the future. A case of better safe than sorry. However, other people do it for decades with no ill effects, and I think this is a great example of "you're results may vary". I could care less if someone uses 25-1, 100-1 or anything in between. Why bash someone's personal choice if it works for them?

If you have a saw that's precious to you, use a good oil at a rate that is adequate for the saw and enjoy it for years to come.

OK Ted run straight gas and adjust as fat as you want and tell me it didn't seize after cutting a truck load of firewood! I dare you. Put your money up not just your opinion. Mike

I find your suggestion utterly ridiculous and unrelated. With out common sense. I will explain that maybe you could have a hint. Running any two stroke engine with a very lean oil gasoline ratio will have a less chance of surviving engine failure than a engine that has a more rich oil gasoline ratio. In most situations if the air fuel mixture is way off failure is always likely depending on how far off the adjustments are. Thanks

I find your suggestion utterly ridiculous and unrelated. With out common sense. I will explain that maybe you could have a hint. Running any two stroke engine with a very lean oil gasoline ratio will have a less chance of surviving engine failure than a engine that has a more rich oil gasoline ratio. In most situations if the air fuel mixture is way off failure is always likely depending on how far off the adjustments are. Thanks
Lean oil ratios can in fact work in certain applications, where the engine is more stable. Think oil injected water cooled. A saw does not have stable tempatures, tuning, loads vary widely, as do a whole list of other variables like chain, air filter and so on. If loads, temperature, tuning is spot on you can get away with leaner ratios, although even then it's not ideal and you will see more engine wear. This is not the case with handheld equipment, nothing is consistent, although blower and low output trimmers are ran differently and can run on 50:1 easier than saws and other equipment in more demanding applications.

There is no reason whatsoever to run anything other than the normal ratios, oil quility does not make up for quantity, this has been demonstrated time and time again. This all stems from companies trying to fool people into believing their product is somehow superior, almost magical. It's the stuff of snake oil salesman, infomercial type marketing. Try collecting on that no hassle warranty when your engine seizes up.

I have a small bottle of amsoil, and have run it at 100-1 with no ill effects. The stuff I have is VERY thick, seems to have high tack, is quite a bit harder to mix with gas, and is twice as opaque when mixed at 100-1 then regular stuff at 50-1.
In the future I will be mixing it at a lower ratio for added insurance, but its probably perfectly fine with normal demand equipment.

My uncle's 024 av super has been using optimal at 100-1 since it was new, has cut hundreds of cords of wood and still runs great. However, we were warned not to store the saw with anything less than 50-1 to prevent RUST in the bottom end.
There are very real problems when it comes to mixing thick oils in cold temps.

Nothing gets chainsaw owners heated up like the oil mix debate! Here's more fuel for the fire, that 024 super of my uncle's was stored outside (with 100-1 mix) in all sorts of conditions, and has never experienced rust problems.

Even though I store my saws indoors and don't have to worry about rust, my saws are old and hard to find parts for, so I won't be running such a lean mix in the future. A case of better safe than sorry. However, other people do it for decades with no ill effects, and I think this is a great example of "you're results may vary". I could care less if someone uses 25-1, 100-1 or anything in between. Why bash someone's personal choice if it works for them?

If you have a saw that's precious to you, use a good oil at a rate that is adequate for the saw and enjoy it for years to come.
Don't assume just because you store your saw indoors it won't rust.
Oil type also plays a part on corrosion protection. Ester oils are pretty poor at preventing rust. Castor oils actually cause rust.
Gasoline type also plays a part. Ethanol attracts water right out of the air.

I still do not understand why some insist on dancing with the devil for no reason whatsoever.

Maybe the Devil is a female?

Just kidding. 50:1 Saber here in ported chainsaws and 64:1 in all handhelds like blowers etc. All tuned Spot On.
Never a failure thus far.

That's sorta like I feel about 40 to 1.

Two stroke Chainsaw engine :
Whatever my ratio is is speculative, work it out because the fuel "measured" is according to the reading on the dial at the pump.

There are two options :
a) rinse the container with the first squirt of gas/fuel and dump/discard it with the fine dirt, followed by 50:1 two stroke oil (50ml : 2.50L). or
b) 60ml API-TCW3 oil to 2.75L High Octane gas/fuel into a clean container

API-TCW3 ratio_0101Fb.jpg

Two stroke Chainsaw engine :
Whatever my ratio is is speculative, work it out because the fuel "measured" is according to the reading on the dial at the pump.

There are two options :
a) rinse the container with the first squirt of gas/fuel and dump it with the fine dirt, followed by 50:1 two stroke oil. or
b) 60ml TC-W3 oil to 2.75L High Octane gas/fuel into a clean container

View attachment 776712
The readings on the pump are verified by the states.
I dont know why people insist on using the wrong type of oil for a chainsaw when the OEM's are pretty clear on what to use.

I should be clear that I don't nessisarly blame the amsoil.

I really like the idea of some magic super lubrication compound. With mix ratios of say 500:1 or less. I wonder if these kinds of oils exist but are just way to toxic for human use?

There is a compound already discovered, implemented, & outlawed, etc.
It's called LEAD (Pb) but because it protects the engines so well it is for your benefit, NOT from sales, retailer's point of view !!

There is a compound already discovered, implemented, & outlawed, etc.
It's called LEAD (Pb) but because it protects the engines so well it is for your benefit, NOT from sales, retailer's point of view !!
Iv swallowed more lead split shots than anyone iv ever meet but I’m still alive. Been making my own lead sinkers for 20 years and still here. Lead is like asbestos. It’s just a government and state money maker. I have my asbestos license and know the in and outs of the system. But you go to Canada where they mine it and people been working in the mines for 40 years with no ppe and are fine. Mesothelioma is nothing more than lung cancer with a scarier name that means sue people and get rich

oh-good-another-5b4b61.jpg

Iv swallowed more lead split shots than anyone iv ever meet but I’m still alive. Been making my own lead sinkers for 20 years and still here. Lead is like asbestos. It’s just a government and state money maker. I have my asbestos license and know the in and outs of the system. But you go to Canada where they mine it and people been working in the mines for 40 years with no ppe and are fine. Mesothelioma is nothing more than lung cancer with a scarier name that means sue people and get rich
Lead is incredibly toxic! What you're saying here is incredibly stupid! As bad as saying the earth is flat. Your reasoning is absurd from top to bottom. Sorry to be so harsh, but those who spread lousy information need to be stopped, too much of this absurdity going around these days. Saying such things actually indicates that you've been exposed to too many toxic substances lol.

Asbestos hooks into your lungs, after large amounts are inhaled it will build up and cause scarring, which can cause cancer and other lung problems. People do in fact overreact to Asbestos, especially when it's not even airborne.

Lead is incredibly toxic! What you're saying here is incredibly stupid! As bad as saying the earth is flat. Your reasoning is absurd from top to bottom. Sorry to be so harsh, but those who spread lousy information need to be stopped, too much of this absurdity going around these days. Saying such things actually indicates that you've been exposed to too many toxic substances lol.

Asbestos hooks into your lungs, after large amounts are inhaled it will build up and cause scarring, which can cause cancer and other lung problems. People do in fact overreact to Asbestos, especially when it's not even airborne.
:clap:

Not saying lead isn’t toxic. Just saying it’s way over rated as being a killer. Same as asbestos. It’s so over rated as a killer that people think that asbestos has been banned from the us which is totally incorrect. New construction still uses materials every day that have asbestos in them. For example of how stupid people are watervillete school in ny in 2015. I ripped all the tile floors out because of mastic with asbestos. They had a company come in and put new tile floors in and wouldn’t you know asbestos mastic. Two months later we’re back again ripping tiles out. A lot of suing went on and flooring company paid nothing because they did nothing wrong. People just have no idea about this stuff but get freaked out about it. You say to someone hey those ceiling tiles have asbestos in them and there guaranteed to start itching and sneezing like they have been rolling in fiberglass when in reality asbestos doesn’t make you itch or sneeze. But don’t do that because believe it or not it’s a federal offense to tell someone there isn’t asbestos in anything unless it’s bare metal or bare wood.

You can get the same exact results from fiberglass but they haven’t made a big deal out of that yet. It’s illegal to manufacture asbestos products in the us soon will be fiberglass or some other material that has been used for years or asbestos’s case thousands of years.

Did u know Egyptian Kings used asbestos napkins because they would just throw them in a fire and burn them clean and come out perfectly white again.

I’m not arguing with you. Just stating facts and how I feel about this stuff.

And wealthy Roman's sweetened their food and drinks with sugar of lead. Simple answer, don't eat it, breathe its dust or drink it and you will be fine. Of course nowadays we eat laundry soap.

Back