Found another stray 288 - how to get him home?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyFlip

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I'm traveling far from home and visiting the shops around here, stumbled across another 288 (I was hoping I WOULDN'T find one!) with a full wrap and a Sugi-Hara 30-inch bar. I think it needs rescuing. Asking a little much for the condition IMO, but I'm a stranger in a strange land. The emergency filter mod is unfortunate, if only because they chopped the lid, but easily replaceable. The clutch cover has a wicked scar but it might add a little character with a clever repaint (Frankenstein anyone?). Shop owner said if I come back with my own tools I can go through it, which I will in the next day or two, and try to start it.

Question: I'll have to ship it home to myself if I can make a deal. What's the best way to get it ready to ship since it has gas and oil in it now? I'm sure it will have to be drained and aired out somehow? You guys have to know a good way to get it done fast; I'll only have a day or two to prep it.

IMG_20200210_164848.jpg IMG_20200210_164855.jpg IMG_20200210_164903.jpg IMG_20200210_164926.jpg IMG_20200210_164933_1.jpg

So I'm traveling far from home and visiting the shops around here, stumbled across another 288 (I was hoping I WOULDN'T find one!) with a full wrap and a Sugi-Hara 30-inch bar. I think it needs rescuing. Asking a little much for the condition IMO, but I'm a stranger in a strange land. The emergency filter mod is unfortunate, if only because they chopped the lid, but easily replaceable. The clutch cover has a wicked scar but it might add a little character with a clever repaint (Frankenstein anyone?). Shop owner said if I come back with my own tools I can go through it, which I will in the next day or two, and try to start it.

Question: I'll have to ship it home to myself if I can make a deal. What's the best way to get it ready to ship since it has gas and oil in it now? I'm sure it will have to be drained and aired out somehow? You guys have to know a good way to get it done fast; I'll only have a day or two to prep it.

View attachment 797060 View attachment 797061 View attachment 797062 View attachment 797063 View attachment 797064
Sweet ole saw for the right price.
Depending on how far you have to ship it it could add another 35-100(if you're here in the states and home is as well) if you're shipping the bar too, it will also take a pretty long box with the bar(32-36 depending on the width). Personally I'd offer the bar up on here for very cheap or just let someone pay the shipping.
The filter mod is so they could use a K&N style filter, it was a very common mod on these saws. It's also typical of a saw that's been logged with and you're probably in the PNW.
As far as prepping it to ship, I remove the bar, drain the oil, then I start the saw and run any excess oil out of the saw. Next I drain the fuel out, then run the saw until it dies, then I pull the choke and fire it until it stalls again. You can then let it sit overnight with the gas cap off and let it air out. I like to put a folded up piece of paper towel above the bar studs over the oil port and then I put the clutch cover back on the saw. With large dawgs like the ones on that saw if I was shipping in a smaller box I would remove them, in a large box I usually leave them on, with the size of the box you will need to ship the bar there should be no need to remove them if you feel confident the saw is secure in the box and can not move.
Now you need to find a box that the bar can ship in or you will need to ship it separate. I like to put a nice layer of the heavy duty wrinkled paper across the bottom of the box a few inches deep. Sometimes I wrap the saw in shrink-wrap(mine looks a lot like plastic food wrap lol), then I place my saws inside 3/8 bubble wrap and completely enclose the saw in it and place the bubble wrapped saw into the box, the bubble wrap keeps the saw from touching the box which is what the carriers require to make an insurance claim if you insure it and have an issue. Now I tightly pack the front of the saw so it's centered in the box and I pay close attention to be sure that there is no way for the dawgs to ever stick anything. After that I package the rest of the box so it's completely full with packaging so that the saw cannot move at all. Next I fold the first set of flaps down and I set the bar across the flaps from corner to corner of the box(which as I said I wouldn't do on this particular saw/bar combo myself).
Hope this helps daddy :).

Maybe @chipper1 or @cuinrearview could offer you some advice on packing and shipping. That saw looks like a diamond in the rough to me. Tank, recoil, and crankcase all appear to be in good shape from here. The other broken stuff is still available from oem.

I agree. The more I study my pics, the more I like it. I might even smooth out the cover and run an HD filter on it. It all comes down to the inspection, hopefully tomorrow if time permits. I'd like to have a 288 find from across country.

@chipper1 it helps a lot. Thank you for taking time to detail that! I'm probably gonna pay more than I should for it but so what; if it passes muster, I'll try to make the best deal I can. And you are right... PNW. Shipping to the Mississippi Delta. If the bar is in decent shape I'll want to keep it as part of the memento; if it's workable, I'll run it.

@chipper1 it helps a lot. Thank you for taking time to detail that! I'm probably gonna pay more than I should for it but so what; if it passes muster, I'll try to make the best deal I can. And you are right... PNW. Shipping to the Mississippi Delta. If the bar is in decent shape I'll want to keep it as part of the memento; if it's workable, I'll run it.
Good deal, that's why I became a member here, to help others, you're welcome.
The bar will run around 20 to ship unless you have an account with a carrier and the saw will be around 50. These prices will go up if you add shipping or signature required, when you get to a certain amount of insurance a signature is required with some carriers.
Can you carry the bar in your traveling luggage? Carry on?
I wouldn't carry it on :surprised3:, but you may be able to put it in a bag going below, you'll want to check.

I might even smooth out the cover and run an HD filter on it.
Forgot to say, I like the scar on that cover, nice character lol.
I'd run a K&N style filter on it, only time it becomes an issue is in heavy rain.
Here's a jred that's set up with a standard husky hd filter, the K&N would probably be more water resistant if oiled properly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 11.11.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 11.11.39 PM.png
    926.2 KB · Views: 16
Can you carry the bar in your traveling luggage? Carry on?

I'll probably just put the bar in a FedEx triangle box and send it ground. They are 34 or 36 inch IIRC.

Good deal, that's why I became a member here, to help others, you're welcome.
The bar will run around 20 to ship unless you have an account with a carrier and the saw will be around 50. These prices will go up if you add shipping or signature required, when you get to a certain amount of insurance a signature is required with some carriers.

In my neck of the woods, I don't have to worry about signature very often and I'm hoping for a good negotiation.

Forgot to say, I like the scar on that cover, nice character lol.
I'd run a K&N style filter on it, only time it becomes an issue is in heavy rain.
Here's a jred that's set up with a standard husky hd filter, the K&N would probably be more water resistant if oiled properly.

I like the scar too; I think I could have a lot of fun with this saw. Yep, definitely K&N on it. What would be really cool is if the saw is already ported and if it runs and pulls. There's a chance it could be given its potential heritage. Notice it's wearing a full skip so somebody wanted to run it hard and fast.

I like the scar too; I think I could have a lot of fun with this saw. Yep, definitely K&N on it. What would be really cool is if the saw is already ported and if it runs and pulls. There's a chance it could be given its potential heritage. Notice it's wearing a full skip so somebody wanted to run it hard and fast.
The skip tells me it most likely isn't ported, but shorter bars have been found on ported saws before :D.
One thing to note is this saw doesn't have a decomp, that could pose a problem for many guys getting it to pull over, but I'm guessing you already know about that and can handle it.

The skip tells me it most likely isn't ported, but shorter bars have been found on ported saws before :D.
One thing to note is this saw doesn't have a decomp, that could pose a problem for many guys getting it to pull over, but I'm guessing you already know about that and can handle it.

Yessir. My other 288 has no decomp either; we'll see once I get both running. That's part of the fun, ain't it? Full skip could also mean it's ragged out, which I hope isn't the case. This is just fun for me; I have no illusions of being a logger. I just needed a saw to clean up my yard post-tornado. Now CAS is starting to take hold and I have the H2.88-strain Huvarnavirus.

Yessir. My other 288 has no decomp either; we'll see once I get both running. That's part of the fun, ain't it? Full skip could also mean it's ragged out, which I hope isn't the case. This is just fun for me; I have no illusions of being a logger. I just needed a saw to clean up my yard post-tornado. Now CAS is starting to take hold and I have the H2.88-strain Huvarnavirus.
No, I don't enjoy repairing them as much as like finding them and running them :happy:. I used to have to fix everything I owned, now I get to choose, and when it comes to saws I usually choose not to :yes:.

I'd empty the fuel tank then choke the saw and run the fuel out of the lines.
Carb cleaner and compressed air should get the oil and fuel residue out of the tanks.
Get some of the super heavy duty plastic bags at the local home improvement store and triple bag the powerhead before putting it into a box as checked baggage.
You won't be able to get the bar on the plane in carry on baggage, they'll see the bar as a Samurai sword and have a sit down talk with you for even trying.
Wrap the bar in cardboard and take it to USPS for shipping. Be prepared for some sticker shock.

As stated, drain both tanks and run it until it stops. Wipe off excess oil and mix. Remove spikes and tape inside rear handle. A garbage bag or 12 for the whole head. Lots of bubble, cardboard scraps, newspaper, etc. You want to just have to hold the top down to tape it. Give it a shake after closing it and make sure things aren't shifting around. If you have an account with your carrier of choice you can save on every shipment. I've noticed slightly higher prices in 2020. It's usually around $35 for me to ship pho to the west coast with fedex. I wouldn't even be able to guess on the bar but I bet USPS would be cheaper for that. Good luck and nice find. I don't see 288s come up locally very often anymore, but personally I wouldn't want much more than $350 into the endeavor all in. With time, buying supplies, and paying a carrier I bet it would get there fast. Good luck!

As stated, drain both tanks and run it until it stops. Wipe off excess oil and mix. Remove spikes and tape inside rear handle. A garbage bag or 12 for the whole head. Lots of bubble, cardboard scraps, newspaper, etc. You want to just have to hold the top down to tape it. Give it a shake after closing it and make sure things aren't shifting around. If you have an account with your carrier of choice you can save on every shipment. I've noticed slightly higher prices in 2020. It's usually around $35 for me to ship pho to the west coast with fedex. I wouldn't even be able to guess on the bar but I bet USPS would be cheaper for that. Good luck and nice find. I don't see 288s come up locally very often anymore, but personally I wouldn't want much more than $350 into the endeavor all in. With time, buying supplies, and paying a carrier I bet it would get there fast. Good luck!

Thank you very much for that info because the ask is 350 and I see it more as a 200-250 in it's current condition... and I haven't seen under the hood yet. My first 288 only cost me 160 before rebuild and it's in nicer shape.

Latest posts

Back