PM Canadien

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting crankshaft on this 19A. Im going to try and clean it up without removing the crankshaft. The cylinder and piston look good, so far all the bearings appear ok, going to take the piston off and soak it to loosen the rings.
Thanks, I really appreciate this information.

Are they sealed main bearings on the crank like the 270?

Those would be shielded not sealed bearings on the 270 and get rid of those metal shields. All they do is trap debris. Every Canadien and Pioneer I've been in has standard garter spring seals. That said, I didn't pull my 19A bearings out so I don't know what they have.

OK thanks for the info, i have not been inside my 270 (yet) because i haven't had to (yet), the bearings still feel nice and tight so I'm hoping they will last a while yet for the limited use i will put on the saw.

On my bearing/seal cross reference document (thanks to whomever originally posted it), it says that the Canadiens typically use 6203 bearings, and the small pioneer seal (SKF/CR6541)
You'd have to double check. I seem to recall it being very easy and cheap to find seals for mine when I restored it.

View attachment 797239 View attachment 797241 View attachment 797242 View attachment 797243
My current restoration project, these pictures are from earlier on, the saw is mostly painted now.

View attachment 797239 View attachment 797241 View attachment 797242 View attachment 797243

Looking nice. I picked up a nice, complete 270 for a rainy day project. Even found a NOS piston in case.

Yours still have the foot stand?

Chris B.

Great find, and very cool on the NOS piston! I've already prepared myself that if i burn up a piston, it will probably be a wall-hanger, unless there is some replacement piston / rings available.

Yes my 270 does have the foot stand, it is mostly complete except the muffler, but i am waiting to hear back from someone that says they have one. They are very cool saws!

Does anyone know if a 175 and 270 share the same oil cover/automatic oiler? My 270 is a manual oiler only, and there is a lot of 175 parts on ebay that looks to have the auto oiler cover included. So I was wondering if I could bolt it on and have an auto oiler saw?

Does anyone know if a 175 and 270 share the same oil cover/automatic oiler? My 270 is a manual oiler only, and there is a lot of 175 parts on ebay that looks to have the auto oiler cover included. So I was wondering if I could bolt it on and have an auto oiler saw?

I don't know about swapping parts with a 175, but i am pretty confident the 270 was changed mid production run from a manual oiler to having a "auto" oiler that assisted with oil, but did not completely replace the manual oiler.

In the service manual shared here by a member, the oiler assembly is completely different on a 270 made in 1965 versus mine which i believe is a 1961. The 1965 model has a adjuster on the oiler cover for the auto assistance, mine is just a cover, probably like yours. i would imagine turning your saw into an auto oiler would also require different internal parts as well? They usually run off a diaphragm that uses crank case pulses, or a type of gear drive, i think.

I don't know about swapping parts with a 175, but i am pretty confident the 270 was changed mid production run from a manual oiler to having a "auto" oiler that assisted with oil, but did not completely replace the manual oiler.

In the service manual shared here by a member, the oiler assembly is completely different on a 270 made in 1965 versus mine which i believe is a 1961. The 1965 model has a adjuster on the oiler cover for the auto assistance, mine is just a cover, probably like yours. i would imagine turning your saw into an auto oiler would also require different internal parts as well? They usually run off a diaphragm that uses crank case pulses, or a type of gear drive, i think.
My 270 red top cover has manual oiler, Acres site says red top is 1966 and has auto oiler. I will have to check it out. there a way to identify the production year on the PM saws?

My 270 red top cover has manual oiler, Acres site says red top is 1966 and has auto oiler. I will have to check it out. there a way to identify the production year on the PM saws?
Cleaned and painter this PM, Skil. Used a McCulloch powdercoated bar and used copper instead of gold for paint.

Attachments

• IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

I have no idea unless you could cross reference the serial #, mine came with the blue top cover is serial # 000482. i found a "63" cast into the bar cover, which i suppose could be a year? But at such a low serial number, i always assumed it to be a '61.

I like that saw a lot, I'm just learning about how Canadien basically became Skil, I'm curious how many shared components there were between them.
I took the recoil off the 270 yesterday to fix a broken rope. It broke because one side of the rope pulley was busted.
The recoil parts inside from pioneer 650 are identical.

Back