PM Canadien

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll sure help you out with your Canadien,right now I'm trying to get a piston for my 275,I've been waiting for 10 years to restore it into a exhibition(Just for show) hot saw,I have pipes and a perfect race carb and everything else.
I will be checking in Victoria for a guy who used to have brand new Canadien parts,used to work at the factory,it's a long shot...
The saw in my avatar is a full race 090 I built in 1986.View attachment 219102View attachment 219103

nice saw trappermike !

I was kinda bummed at first about the piston, but actually this motivated me to pull the other old saws I have out and start cleaning them up and seeing what is needed in terms of parts so I can begin the search.

timing adjustment:

attachment.php

I have to admit they sure are different. That alone makes a good reason for restoring them. The con rod on my 275 is the same setup as yours,I'm going to go to a bearing supply shop to try to get the needles for the rod big end(And maybe a caged bearing for the wrist pin?). And the main bearings and seals too,when ordering seals specify "Double-lip" or else they will usually give you single lip ones.

I have to admit they sure are different. That alone makes a good reason for restoring them. The con rod on my 275 is the same setup as yours,I'm going to go to a bearing supply shop to try to get the needles for the rod big end(And maybe a caged bearing for the wrist pin?). And the main bearings and seals too,when ordering seals specify "Double-lip" or else they will usually give you single lip ones.

Good info! I didn't know that replacement needles were available.!

good info- thanks !

the more I dig on this saw the more interested I become, even the guys I got it from are curious now

Good info! I didn't know that replacement needles were available.!

A lot of the needle rollers in older saws are a fairly generic industrial product. Torrington makes a lot of them and as long as you
have the correct dimensions it isn't hard finding replacements. Motion Industries now has a pretty good catalog with a lot of the
common sizes of rollers and caged bearings. Same thing goes with clutch drum bearings. It's pretty easy to find those as well.

When saw manufacturers are designing a product, they tend to go with sizes of bearings and seals that are already available to
keep manufacturing costs down. In this case, the main bearings, seals, and rollers in this PM saw are all available from places
like Applied Industrial.

Right on Jacob. Another point I'd like to make about main bearings, a long time ago Stihl went to main bearings with plastic cages,these withstand high rpm better than traditional bearings with metal cages. The metal cage is the weak point of a bearing and is usually what fails,and often destroys the P&C when they come apart. I order bearings with the plastic cage(Sometimes referred to as teflon) to upgrade Husky's and other saws. You merely go to a bearing supply store with your bearing size and ask for them specifically. These are a particularly valuable replacement on the 365,371 and 372 Huskies.

Right on Jacob. Another point I'd like to make about main bearings, a long time ago Stihl went to main bearings with plastic cages,these withstand high rpm better than traditional bearings with metal cages. The metal cage is the weak point of a bearing and is usually what fails,and often destroys the P&C when they come apart. I order bearings with the plastic cage(Sometimes referred to as teflon) to upgrade Husky's and other saws. You merely go to a bearing supply store with your bearing size and ask for them specifically. These are a particularly valuable replacement on the 365,371 and 372 Huskies.

What speed rating do you ask for?

Thanks for the tip on the material request for the cage!

I don't know there is any speed rating to ask for. I just look for a good brand name and ask for their best rated bearings with the plastic cage. Sometimes I find they are only available in sealed type,but that's no problem,just pop the seals out. If you go to the bearing manufacturer's website you can find data on various bearings available in the size you want with valuable info.
There is different clearance specs-C2,C3 etc.,I was told once that Stihl uses tighter ones,C2 compared to C3 used by others but I've never confirmed this or tried it,in this respect I decided to leave well enough alone and use whatever the factory does. If you look in a factory parts list it may show 6203 C3,often the C number is on the bearing too.

Single lip with garter spring will do just fine.

I have not found a double lip seal in a saw engine..........................................yet.

By double lip I refer to a seal that also has a dust lip on the outside,almost all original seals are that type,these are often referred to as double lip. Unless I ask,a bearing shop will often end up giving me seals without the dust lip. They refer to these different type seals as double lip or single lip too, in all the dealings I've had with these suppliers in the last 30 years. Maybe technically somehow I'm wrong,but this is the way I've heard seals referred to by shops and other mechanics.
Sorry if I confused anyone.

Well after waiting more than 10 years with my old Canadien laying in a box I've finally found a good piston and rings for it so I can rebuild and restore it this year! Thanks to Jockydeuce who read this thread he fixed me up with a piston assembly, and a spare con rod to experiment on. That 275 piston is HEAVY,it's actually a little larger than an 090 piston...
It will be wonderful to hear that old 123cc beast roaring again,thanks to the folks at this website,thanks guys.:msp_smile:
Lmberman you gotta get yours running again too,I hope you find a piston for it. :bowdown:

That would be great. It's nice to see old saws renewed and hear them run again.
I hope to do a build-up on my 275 with photos as I go.
Then I think I'm gonna look for another bizzare old saw to restore.

Latest posts

Back