064 coil problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought VEC was the only AM coil you could get-but wrong again.
Can you put up a pic of the coil you bought?Which I thought was a VEC anyway.
Do you still need a pic of my saw or do you know you are on the right track?
Cheers,Chris.

I believe you are correct Chris - VEC is the only aftermarket version of the 1122 400 1300 coil I've seen on the market.

I've not used the VECs but several have and the consensus is that they're decent replacements. I was referring to the generic Chinese A/M coils, such as the 0000 400 1300 replacements.

I see, part of the reason i got this coil is the it had the 1300 numbers. I will post a photo of the coil that was in the saw and running when I bought it and a picture of the box it came in when the last owner bought it. Same number. 20180516_203513.jpg 20180516_203536.jpg

Can't see how that coil could be timed with a 1201 wheel.
It is a stihl "common" coil I believe.
It doesn't mention "064" on the box anywhere.
If you have a 1201 wheel (which you do) I still say 11224001300 or nothing.
That's why it is so much trouble with an 064,you can't fit a common coil with original 064 wheel.
Cheers,Chris.

Yeh thats why I have been asking so many questions about the timing position, it didn't make sense to me why I would need to slot the mounting hole. I think I will just buy the vec coil as it seems that should fix all the problems i have with the saw. I will put up some photos of the 3 coils that have been in this saw and running, as far as I can tell it has had 1 bosch (original) and 2 aftermarket 0000 400 1300 then the one that I bought.

The 1122 400 1300 and 0000 400 1300 coils *should* both be timed the same and both should work with the 1201 flywheel.

As far as I know, they're both "dummy" coils, meaning no timing circuit to advance or retard the timing.

Of course, with all things Stihl, there were production line changes that were not documented (like the dual-key 1204 flywheel I have here).

Thanks for that info J.I know I tried a 0000 coil (OEM not AM) on an 064 and no go.From memory it was ripping the rope out of my hand.
Some of these wheel/combos as just a suck it and see trial.That's how I worked some of mine out.
But I have spare wheels and coils so didn't have to buy anything,that helps.
Cheers,Chris.

I would think 0% of being wrong for a 1201 wheel.
We will get this sorted in the end for you Chris.
I know money being the problem,just can't be buying part after part
Maybe a OEM 0000 may work as J said.
If it was mine it would be a VEC coil.
Cheers,Chris.

So I received the vec coil yesterday and fitted it today, put everything together pulled the cord and suprise suprise nothing happened !. Strong blue spark. No recoil no pop no nothing !. How do I set the timing on a chainsaw ?. Top dead center and what should line up ?

OK Chris,
with piston at TDC,green line (on fin) lines up with middle of coil middle pole.
Red dot lines up with middle of top pole.
This is within a couple of degrees as wheel moves because of magnet pull.
Hope this helps
Cheers,Chris.IMG_20180609_122919.jpgIMG_20180609_122957.jpgIMG_20180609_122951.jpg

Back