08S Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got the 08S earlier this week. It took a back seat to the 030 AV. This evening I started working on it. I've got it down to the case halves. Everything seems intact. It has the later 47mm piston rather than the older 44mm. The P&C are in excellent condition. I've got 2-3 stripped threads to repair. The handle needs new rubber. That'll be a first for me. I dropped the big air filter knob and the old brittle thing broke. Add that to the list. I wonder if gaskets and seals are still available? I don't plan on splitting the cases, but would like to replace the seals. I'll need cylinder and intake gaskets.

These first pics were not taken by me. This is how the saw looked when I got it.
257678739_Ryzco-M.jpg

257678677_wBrP4-M.jpg

257678657_86WZh-M.jpg

257678800_5fBJU-M.jpg

257678761_cTyEL-M.jpg

257678754_LjCNM-M.jpg

Here's how it looks now.

257678908_2tZn6-M.jpg

The two bolts at the far right hold the top handle on. Those are not the proper screws and the threads will need repaired.
257678866_oMHKi-M.jpg

Is this clutch hub pressed on? It has a keyway, so I would think not.
257678884_qHRR8-M.jpg

257678979_UgiDQ-M.jpg

Notice the chip and crack. Ideas for repair?
257678995_vNGyV-M.jpg

The bottom side of the crack.
257679075_wAHwJ-M.jpg

Now. Check out this old piston!!! Ignore the specs of dirt.
257679097_YYsJA-M.jpg

257679070_pFz4t-M.jpg

257679177_tkqc9-M.jpg

257679167_vHk4K-M.jpg

This cylinder has the same "grainy" appearance I was talking about on the 030. The chrome is in very good condition and is very smooth. It's just grainy looking. Flash pictures always make cylinders look far worse than they are. This cylinder looks in excellent condition in person.
257679175_Ms45z-M.jpg

257678670_5RE7e-M.jpg

Last edited:
That 08s looks good brad. I would scan ebay for a new cover, the crack isn't a big deal but the chunk that is gone looks to be a hard thing to fix. I also had to tap out the bolts holes on the rear of my tank too. I just went the next size up in American. For your new rubber on the handlebar, check out bicycle bar tape. I rewrapped my 031 in it and it works great. A link is below. Those 08s and 07s are some cool saws, I know you will do a good job with the restore.

http://www.cbike.com/bartape.htm

Nice simple old saw. I'd look around for a new top cover - thousands out there...without cracks. If you're going to repaint, JB weld with a stainless mesh scaffold underneath would make an invisable mend.

You can buy the factory rubber for the handle.

The 47mm is standard; 49mm is the later version. you piston looks a bit worn on the skirt - check it in the bore.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for this project. I like the classic looks of the 08s, kinda looks like a mini 090. I vote for full resto with paint. The crack is a tough one, if you cant do a nice looking repair I wouldnt mess with it at all. A crack looks better than a weld IMO. Also you might be able to snag that part on ebay at a later time.

Here's one that can be painted but $40 plus shipping is a little high

I agree. I intend to do the saw right, but I can see spending $55 for a shroud when that's all I paid for the saw. I'll have to see about getting it welded. It shouldn't be too hard for a good welder to fill that chip. I'll grind it down and put a little filler on it to make it smooth.

you piston looks a bit worn on the skirt - check it in the bore.

Lake, what are you seeing to know this? It looks smooth with little in the way of machining marks - does that indicate wear? To check it in the bore, I assume you insert the piston without rings and see how badly it flaps about...is this correct?

Thanks! I have a similar decision to make with an 070 piston that looks in identical condition.

yes.. Smooth means it's worn... if it's not, you'd still see the machining details. The stihl pistons are machined with a specifiec "roughness" to hold lube when new. When these are worn off, it's getting sloppy.

Just insert it in the bore skirt-first and feel the slop.

Latest posts

Back