08S Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dug it out this afternoon. It is not a 700. It is an original EZ. It looks the same as the 700. Same shape and color. The saw is complete. It turns over with good compression, but has no spark. It is missing alot of paint. It has I think a 24" bar. The chainsaw collectors site list the specs, but no picture

Neat old saw. The pictures are there. LINK

Neat old saw. The pictures are there. LINK

NEAT!
Hell Brad. we already know you are good with red paint.
I say....go for it!
Did you notice that saw was only in production for one year?
And this?
FUEL OIL RATIO: 10:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: SAE 30 or Homelite chain saw mix oil
Where's Gary? :)

Sorry about previous post

Brad, sorry about coming on so strong about the museum thing. I get carried away with my own BS sometimes.. well maybe most of the time....:)
I find myself returning to those pics over and over, just to admire them. That saw is just beautiful, and the photography is like, professional, man. It's like it is no longer just a saw, but a sculpture.

It would be ridiculous to ask the museum curators to crank up the Spirit of St. Louis just so I could fly in it.

What amazes me is the creamy, liquid look you achieved on the finish. Definitely did not come out of a can of Rustoleum!

How many coats did you apply?

Brad, sorry about coming on so strong about the museum thing. I get carried away with my own BS sometimes.. well maybe most of the time....:)
I find myself returning to those pics over and over, just to admire them. That saw is just beautiful, and the photography is like, professional, man. It's like it is no longer just a saw, but a sculpture.

It would be ridiculous to ask the museum curators to crank up the Spirit of St. Louis just so I could fly in it.

What amazes me is the creamy, liquid look you achieved on the finish. Definitely did not come out of a can of Rustoleum!

How many coats did you apply?

Are you kidding? Me upset. No way man!:cheers:

Two coats only. The instructions say a medium to wet coat followed by a wet coat. The trick to a glassy finish it to put on just enough material that it flows out but not so much that it runs. The problem is that is a VERY fine line. It requires good light and a very careful eye. If you don't put enough on, you get what's called orange peel where the paint doesn't flow out and looks dimpled.

Very nice job Brad! I suppose you've been told that enough already but what the heck. :clap: :clap:

As far as running your saw you put the time and $$$ into it, so its up to you what to do with it. But I must admit I was waiting for this thread before it even started, and the whole time I was kinda hoping to see the old girl make a few blocks in a short vid. If you dont I guess we'll just have to deal with it. :(

Plus the saws just dont sound the same revving them up as they do in the cut. :greenchainsaw:

No pressure hehe LOL

Last edited:
Excellent work! That 08s came out nice.

As far as cutting with it or shelving it, I'd say do want makes you happy. Saws are tools and all mine are usable tools, no shelf queens, but then again I don't have any real vintage saws that I put that much TLC into. If that 08s was mine I'd be satisfied with knowing it runs and give a place of honor to reside.

Do what you think best and enjoy your work. I thoroughly enjoy your threads.:cheers: :clap:

I wouldnt be able to resist at least trying it once or twice. Could clean it up afterwards and shelf it. Have you cut any wood with the 030av you restored?

wow turned out better than I had hoped. never did say if the weld was reinforced or not? hope it was good enough for you, took me three brakes and a lunch hour to fix..... twice:angry: oh well guess I'm in the same boat with the labor of love thing going on. I do appreciate the honor of helping on this project.

wow turned out better than I had hoped. never did say if the weld was reinforced or not? hope it was good enough for you, took me three brakes and a lunch hour to fix..... twice:angry: oh well guess I'm in the same boat with the labor of love thing going on. I do appreciate the honor of helping on this project.

I did not add any more to it. I had to remove a fair amount where you added the missing metal. I installed it and then marked what needed what needed removed. Then I sanded it down some more with finer paper. Was the JB Weld you used to pretty it up a bit? I'm very happy with the repair. Thanks for your help.

Here she is boys and girls. It starts, idles, and revs like a dream. Now if someone could tell me how to tune the high side on this thing. I left it running rich on purpose. I have no idea what WOT RPM is or even how to tune it with the spring loaded governor and all.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZpdaXMVczY"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZpdaXMVczY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back