08S Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think? I'm still waiting on the carb kit and a spark plug wire. The starter badge is yet to be replaced too I haven't done anything about an emblem on the bar either. And I forgot to put on the safety decal. I'm not even sure where it goes.
QUOTE]

Beautiful work, Brad.

I''ve been repairing- restoring cars to "like new" for over 25 years.

VERY nice work!

At least you have learned what modern paint costs.
Just imagine what paint and materials cost to paint a full sized vehicle!

Few of my customers even believe me.

When I started, 25-30 years ago the material cost for a overall was about $100.00! (Acrylic enamel w hardner)

A red (most expensive) car will cost over, today, $1000.00 for paint and clear, alone! This doesn't even count 2 part primer, making tape, paper or waste disposal fees.

It's gettin nuts!

I've always been of the opinion that every saw I have has to see time in the wood. Even if it's only at GTGs or the like. I'm reconsidering that philosophy. Why? I have nothing to prove by dirtying it. It will run like a new saw when I'm done, but I have nothing to prove by cutting wood with it. I have no problem firing it up. I purchased this saw soley for the purpose of a collector piece. I haven't yet convinced myself to leave it a virgin, but I'm sure leaning that way.

I've never understood having something like a saw and not using it. Seems rather asinine.

I've never understood having something like a saw and not using it. Seems rather asinine.

I hear you and understand you. But I have to ask myself, why own this saw. I didn't buy this saw because I need it to cut wood with. I bought it simply to restore and to own it. It'll be 100% functional, but it serves my purposes entirely without cutting one piece of wood with it.

Now with that said, I may show up at a GTG and drop that bar on a piece of oak. I just don't know.

I hear you and understand you. But I have to ask myself, why own this saw. I didn't buy this saw because I need it to cut wood with. I bought it simply to restore and to own it. It'll be 100% functional, but it serves my purposes entirely without cutting one piece of wood with it.

Now with that said, I may show up at a GTG and drop that bar on a piece of oak. I just don't know.

Thats the beauty of being a free tax paying American...

You need to match Manf paint specs... unless you have a beater...

My local paint shop tells me it's $2000 (materials - entire car, restoration quality) for bare-metal to clearcoat...

Yeah, but why go to the trouble of painting something if it's not going to be original? Millions of "factory spec" vehicles out there already.

Space....I reckon you can not see the "artist" value in this project!

If you look at Brad's sig line why would he have any need to ever run a saw like this?

Me... i would put it up on a shelf on my garage and just admire it for what it is....a piece of history.

But....that's just me.

You're still cringing from using that 084, huh. :greenchainsaw:

If you look at Brad's sig line why would he have any need to ever run a saw like this?

Me... i would put it up on a shelf on my garage and just admire it for what it is....a piece of history.

But....that's just me.

Artistry completely severed from any ties with reality is not valuable, in my opinion.

Saws were not made to be objects of art--they were made to saw wood. To sever the saw from it's purpose seems to be hollow. History is meant to be experienced, not gawked at.

Last edited:
Yeah, but why go to the trouble of painting something if it's not going to be original? Millions of "factory spec" vehicles out there already.

hmmm... I see your point.. Why would Brad care about gas resistant paint if he doesn't put gas in it?:monkey:

But....that's just me.

That's what I'm talking about. It may not work though once I'm at a GTG and the peer pressure's on to drop it in some wood. Then is the satisfaction of owning it enough, or do I need the applause of the crowd.

The only thing this saw offers me is the pleasure of owning and restoring it. If I need to cut some wood, that's when a Snellerized screamer comes out:chainsaw:

Honestly, I could argue either side of this discussion. It's taken the time, effort, and results for me to see this side. Always before, I've said it had to be dropped in wood. I may yet do that.

hmmm... I see your point.. Why would Brad care about gas resistant paint if he doesn't put gas in it?:monkey:

So...it could be the best.... it...could be!

Does that not compute with those of you that strive to make a chain saw "better" than it was to begin with?

Artistry completely severed from any ties with reality is not valuable, in my opinion.

Saws were not made to be objects of art--they were made to saw wood. To sever the saw from it's purpose seems to be hollow. History is meant to be experienced, not gawked at.

You just proved that you have a narrow mind.

Latest posts

Back