08S Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like plastic. :chainsaw: :)

It flowed out really nicely. You may have noticed the needle nosed ViseGrips clamped on the underside. That was the only way I could get good coverage on all those angles. I couldn't shoot it hanging on a wire. So I clamped them on and sprayed my hand:)

Right now the flywheel's back off of it to replace the plug wire. I had redone the ends and it's too short. The muffler is painted and installed. The carb kit's ordered. She's all but done. I really don't know if I want to put this thing in the wood. I'll run it no problem, but cover it in dust and oil? I don't know. I've only got it as a collector piece anyway.

Last edited:
It flowed out really nicely. You may have noticed the needle nosed ViseGrips clamped on the underside. That was the only way I could get good coverage on all those angles. I couldn't shoot it hanging on a wire. So I clamped them on and sprayed my hand:)

Right now the flywheel's back off of it to replace the plug wire. I had redone the ends and it's too short. The muffler is painted and installed. The carb kit's ordered. She's all but done.

You gonna sell it?

Pot life once the catalyst and reducer are mixed is only 4 hours. Shelf life of the catalyst once opened is two weeks. The paint by itself should be good for some time. You don't want to waste this stuff, that's for sure. It isn't cheap.

This saw is cool, but I'm just trying to get it done so that I can get started on the 07S. Now that's going to be COOL![/QUOTE]

Yup, that's the one that i'm waitin for. I never new how cool the 07s was until I saw your detailed pics.

Pot life once the catalyst and reducer are mixed is only 4 hours. Shelf life of the catalyst once opened is two weeks. The paint by itself should be good for some time. You don't want to waste this stuff, that's for sure. It isn't cheap.

I believe the paint life once opened is less then a year. It's why I went to epoxy primer for the Bridgeport... Not sure what i'll use for the finish coats yet. Probably a 2K urethene.

This is NOT saw restoration!

This is saw concours. All saws from the factory had some cosmetic nicks and such. This is more Like Pebble beach for Cars. Perfect in every way possible. One of the most enjoyable threads I have ever seen.

This is saw concours. All saws from the factory had some cosmetic nicks and such. This is more Like Pebble beach for Cars. Perfect in every way possible. One of the most enjoyable threads I have ever seen.

I appreciate the comments but I'll let you in on the inside truth. Look closely at the mounting of the loop handle to the bar cover. It's broken. There are four fins missing on the bottom of the recoil housing as well. However, they're not grossly obvious flaws and I've kept the parts original as far as I know. That's another reason I didn't want to replace the shroud/handle. I've not seen another for sale that has the push button kill switch. This is an early copy and I wanted to keep it original if possible.

This saw is cool, but I'm just trying to get it done so that I can get started on the 07S. Now that's going to be COOL!

Yup, that's the one that i'm waitin for. I never new how cool the 07s was until I saw your detailed pics.[/QUOTE]

Hoss, what you probably can't really tell from the pics is the tre size of this thing. It may only be 75cc, but it would be at home in your stable. That thing is big and heavy. It's a VERY cool old monster. It's a one pull starter though!

Hey Brad, Just wondering, do you keep track of how much time you have invested in your restore jobs?
I no doubt that you could make a living doing this. I'm sure there is a market for this with as many collectors out there. You defiantly go the extra mile when doing this. Have you ever thought about doing any old Homelites, or Macs? There are millions of them out there just waiting for you. All them orange and white saws are going to make you color blind. I will donate to you the first old Homelite if you want to try it. I have an old Homelie 700G thats would love to speak again.

Last edited:
Brad,

I might be telling my grandmother how to suck eggs, but I have a tip for you.

I've painted a few of those shrouds in the past and before you reassemble the trigger mechanism take a round file to the two holes where the little steel dowels go through that hold the trigger. If you don't there will be paint in the holes that will chip and take some of the surface paint with it as you drive the dowels back in.

Hey Brad, Just wondering, do you keep track of how much time you have invested in your restore jobs?
I no doubt that you could make a living doing this. I'm sure there is a market for this with as many collectors out there. You defiantly go the extra mile when doing this. Have you ever thought about doing any old Homelites, or Macs? There are millions of them out there just waiting for you. All them orange and white saws are going to make you color blind. I will donate to you the first old Homelite if you want to try it. I have an old Homelie 700G thats would love to speak again.

I keep track of the $$$ but not the time. I'd really be surprised if I could make money at this. Not only are the parts expensive, but there probably $75 of paint materials for one saw.

What old Homey did you have in mind? I'm assuming parts aren't so expensive for them?

Brad,

I might be telling my grandmother how to suck eggs, but I have a tip for you.

I've painted a few of those shrouds in the past and before you reassemble the trigger mechanism take a round file to the two holes where the little steel dowels go through that hold the trigger. If you don't there will be paint in the holes that will chip and take some of the surface paint with it as you drive the dowels back in.

Good advise. I'd been considering how I wanted to do this. I though about using a drill bit by hand. A small chain file would probably work great.

I've been using a razor blade to remove the paint from areas like the oil pump mounting surface and from under screw heads on the recoil housing. I'm also going to need bare metal contacts between he case and shroud for the kill switch. This paint cuts great and hasn't chipped in doing so.

BTW, don't hesitate to share tips and ideas. I'm no expert here.

Last edited:
I keep track of the $$$ but not the time. I'd really be surprised if I could make money at this. Not only are the parts expensive, but there probably $75 of paint materials for one saw.

What old Homey did you have in mind? I'm assuming parts aren't so expensive for them?
I think its a 700G or maybe just a 700. New parts are hard to find for alot of these vintage saws. When it come to collectors, most that are serious will pay top dollar for quality work.

Latest posts

Back