08S Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know where there is a full sized (like 4x6 feet) illuminated sign with that logo on it. Could be bought for $$... Would look great on the ceiling above your bed:givebeer:

I got a late start but finally got to start putting it back together tonight. No step by step on this one.
264454777_5SA5B-M.jpg

264454770_NpyCn-M.jpg

264454905_ss4ef-M.jpg

264454967_LLLch-M.jpg

264454945_5y99z-M.jpg

What's wrong with this picture?
264455116_DHgFH-M.jpg

I got the shroud/handle back from Pinemartin today. I think he did a good job considering he was working with pot metal. He even put a little filler on it for me!
264455145_3NyGp-M.jpg

264454710_kg6Wo-M.jpg

Here's the bottom. So what the jury say? Add some screen and a layer of JB Weld on the bottom side? Or sand it smooth and paint it?
264455181_QzB9M-M.jpg

"What's wrong with this picture?"

Missing fins at 2,3,8,and 9 o'clock positions , 2 of them probably broken on purpose to balance the flywheel.

Great job.

Nice pics, Brad ! Like the new avatar also, hehe...

I have four of these 08's and they are simple, but reliable firewood saws. I have a biking friend that uses the 08S still as his favourite saw...

As you noticed, there have been several versions of it (shroud version with push stop button, no stop button, and a kill switch). The starter plate also changed in time. The latest 08S version I've seen even has a true chain brake on it, very cool. A weak part on these Fairbanks starters are the fins, which break off easily. All my saws are missing some.

The oldest versions have indeed the logo engraved in the solid tip bar, and that's the one I like most, but any new bar (0.404) looks good on it.

Good restoration which I followed with interest. I should repaint one of mine like yours....but I hate paint jobs...

Get yourself a new sprocket from cheapstihlparts and you will have a very nice collector saw. :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
A thing of beauty. You have to use it properly now - go cut some wood with it when finished. Seriously - I'd be very interested in how that paint job would hold up to "careful" use as, say, a domestic firewood saw.

I love those Tillotsons - I've rebuilt three in the last week. Aren't the nuts fiddly to get on though! You ain't seen nothing yet - the 07 is far more fiddly!

"What's wrong with this picture?"

Missing fins at 2,3,8,and 9 o'clock positions , 2 of them probably broken on purpose to balance the flywheel.

Great job.

You nailed it on the head. I didn't realize any fins were broken until reassembly. I laid a straight edge directly across the center of the fan to make sure I was attacking the correct opposing fin. I did indeed break to fins off. Perhaps I'll replace the fan when I find a nice one. Until then, this one should be totally fine.

Yes, I need a new sprocket. You ought to see the sprocket on my 07S:dizzy:

I do love this carb. It's large, but I love the design. It appears the impulse line is actually a passage through the intake block and directly into the carb. All the diaphrams and gaskets were still in good shape. I'll have to see how it runs. I did not run this saw before disassembly.

Last edited:
You ought to see the sprocket on my 07S

I will save you a lot of time on the search for an 07S sprocket in .404. The part number Oregon lists is wrong, and you will end up buying a pile of sprockets for an 041 or something.

Bantasaw has them - spur only.

If you want rim/drum, then buy a sprocket for an 070, and cut a few mm of depth off it with a chop saw. I suppose you could mill it if you had the kit. They are dimensionally identical, except for the "depth" or thickness.

Back