08S Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, old style logo, engraved into the bar. I'll go and take a picture in a while....

It would be the old style logo, similar to the starter badge. Do you need a good starter badge for that or do you have one?

I believe this is what you're talking about. It looks like it's engraved/stamped on bare steel.
263705809_Mb8bZ-M.gif

I also found this,
263705788_qRRYs-M.jpg

and this.
263705861_gu3Ly-M.jpg

I can't duplicate the stamping. Plus I already painted the bar. How about I have stencils made for this logo and paint on the painted bar?
263705837_Eewst-X3.jpg

hmmm.... very early production? Does it have points?
Are you sure of the serial number (of course.. that's just the casing...)

Last edited:
Are you psyched for it?

Hey Gang............
I have already reached my quota of saw acquisitions for the time being, but this here saw looks promising, now that Brad has shown us what can be done wit one of these babies! I am surprised to see a chain brake on a saw of this vintage. Notice the intact rear shroud......
http://cgi.ebay.com/STIHL-08-SAW-AU...ryZ79669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I think this thing looks really cooool.

That is only a hand guard. That one has several things different from mine. The Stihl and model tags are different and newer styled. This kill switch is also different. Mine also does not have the hand guard. This one is like a much later saw than mine.

Last edited:
That may not be a bad deal on that 08s, but i usually stay away from any used saws or part saws that have a rental company sticker or name scribed on it ;).

That is only a hand guard. That one has several things different from mine. The Stihl and model tags are different and newer styled. This kill switch is also different. Mine also does not have the hand guard. This one is like a much later saw than mine.

Yeah, I noticed the Stihl tag, and thought maybe someone had just stuck that on there. I also don't know the time span of these saws' manufacturing period.

I stihl think it looks cool, but not as cool as your older model.

That looks good. Your 08 looks old enough to me that it would have that graphic on the bar as well. There was also a bar with that graphic and two bold black stripes extending away from it in either direction.

If it's not authentic.. what does it matter?;)

Fine lines in stencil? Screen print would be better, but for one?

BTW.. check your recoat issues (time from last coat, surface prep etc) with overpainting this on your 2K urethene... But.. if you don't use it.. won't matter;)

You can likely find a NOS bar from the correct era.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back