262xp Metal oil worm gear removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sierradmax

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tearing down a 1994 262xp and I came across a metal worm gear on the oil pump. It appears to be pressed on and not like the brass or plastic piece you typically see. Any pointers on how to remove?

I've sent an email. This is about the fourth time I've tried uploading a photo of a puller I made for those. Hope this works.

Anyway, the gear is more-or-less 3/4" pipe thread. I used a 3/4" black iron female x female coupler with a piece of pipe threaded on one end and a nut tack welded on the other. I didn't measure the length of the pipe....maybe 2" including threads? It just needs to be longer than the pto end of the crank when threaded into the coupler. I think it is a 1/2" or 9/16" bolt...doesn't really matter, that pushes on the crank as the coupler pulls the worm gear.puller.jpg

Your saw must have been made in the first half of 1994 because they changed to the plastic gear driven from the clutch in June of that year. I'm guessing your serial number begins with something in the range of 401 to 422??

I don't have the saw in front of me. I think it has the brass worm gear, just a metal washer covering it. Difficult to remove. Does the oil pump on the 262's w/ brass worm gear have to be pushed (not pried w/ screwdriver) using two M5 bolts threaded into the oiler body?

Got it removed last night. Thanks for everyones help. Now which one should I re-use? Brass/internal (constant oil supply even when idle) or plastic spun by the clutch drum?

sorry for the thread revival here, just did this job last night. the worm gear fits 1/2" NPT .... not 3/4" NPT.

I used a piece of black pipe union and a ball joint puller and it worked fine. i'll get a video of it eventually... its all on tape :)
perfect timing since I also need to make one. Looking forward to see your video.

I checked the crankshaft, think I would like to see the puller lenght around 60mm, is that also your opinion?

Latest posts

Back