262xp Metal oil worm gear removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I bought my Echo 4600 used I had the problem of no oiling. I tore the saw apart and found the problem immediately, no worm gear at all! I guess that saved me the problem of pulling the gear, bought a new metal one from dealer and cleaned everything up and it's now ready to go..
I had to heat the gear slightly to get it on the crank so I would imagine if they're a press fit that a little heat would be valuable in getting it off.

When I bought my Echo 4600 used I had the problem of no oiling. I tore the saw apart and found the problem immediately, no worm gear at all! I guess that saved me the problem of pulling the gear, bought a new metal one from dealer and cleaned everything up and it's now ready to go..
I had to heat the gear slightly to get it on the crank so I would imagine if they're a press fit that a little heat would be valuable in getting it off.

I don't think heat will help in the removal. The gear and the shaft will expand at the same rate. If I am understanding what you meant.

Bumping this old thread as I am trying to figure out how to do this without buying new tools etc...

I don't think heat will help in the removal. The gear and the shaft will expand at the same rate. If I am understanding what you meant.

The brass worm gear should heat up 3 times quicker than the shaft, if you time it right it should slide off before the crank expands..

My theory anyway. lol

upload_2017-7-14_9-44-10.png

Assuming they're made of exactly the same material..I'm guessing the worm gear is softer metal. If you direct the heat right on the worm gear it would expand first even if same metal but you'd have to time it right to pull the gear off before the crank expanded.

Assuming they're made of exactly the same material..I'm guessing the worm gear is softer metal. If you direct the heat right on the worm gear it would expand first even if same metal but you'd have to time it right to pull the gear off before the crank expanded.
This is my hope, the worm gear on my 262xp and IIRC all 262's 254's etc that are driven from the crank (and not the clutch) are all brass rather than steel. This plan WILL work.... i hope..:dizzy:

make a puller, I have a vid on it and HL supply has vids on it. it can be done for cheap

Yep I have read through this thread and looked at the vids, was just trying to cut a few corners with a plumbers blow torch.. Surely if heating it allows it to drop straight into place then heating it should allow it to pull off. IMO

best of luck .... don't mess it up hehe :)
what leave fuel in the tank, tank vent leaking, burn up the seals, blow myself up and braze the worm to the crank... :laughing:

Don't worry, I am finicky, if it don't work I will quit while I am ahead..

Yep I have read through this thread and looked at the vids, was just trying to cut a few corners with a plumbers blow torch.. Surely if heating it allows it to drop straight into place then heating it should allow it to pull off. IMO
with a fine nozzle and small flame..

gotta make a vid of you doing it :) i wanna see the splosion :)
Think I may start with a cooks blow torch. Tank is not on the casing atm.. Seal needs replacing too.. well it doesn't but I have a new one. what can go wrong with a little cooks version...

Back