30mph winds -7 degrees (hedge night) what you burning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The warm months threw off the schedule. Right now I'm burning the December stack. Red Maple, Red Oak, a few pieces of old American Elm, and overnights are 8-10" round Lacebark Elm. It was 80 in the front of the house last night when I went to bed at 11:00 so I told my wife to wait a bit before adding wood. -1 outside, 70 deg inside this am at 4:30.

It's only -1 here with light breeze, glad the weatherman was wrong. They were forecasting -11 and 20 mph winds. Brrrrrr oak, sugar maple, and red elm working their magic because its 73 in here.

seems like if it gets below 10 degrees outside my stove starts to vaporize wood to keep the house tolerable. its still 75 in side and now to stove door has a dull red spot from the large amount of coals and black locust im been feeding it.

I am with JW, this cold and I have to feed mine with Red Oak to keep the house around a 72 avg.

Throwing straight oak into the fireplace at this point. Not nearly as cold as a lot of you guys. Digital thermometer says 15* outside and reads 74 in the house.

Throwing straight oak into the fireplace at this point. Not nearly as cold as a lot of you guys. Digital thermometer says 15* outside and reads 74 in the house.
Yup, same here - burning hickory, oak and ash. Lit both stoves this morning before I left.

I
Yup, same here - burning hickory, oak and ash. Lit both stoves this morning before I left.

It's supposed to be like, 1* tonight Chris. Stay warm my friend! My wife has been doing a good job of loading up the grate in the fireplace before she crashes for the night. If she stacks it up good, we'll get about 2 1/2, maybe 3 hours of burn time off of that. By the time I get home I can usually stir up some hot coals with the poker and throw a couple small splits on to get it going again. Then I'll watch it for a while until sleep starts getting the better of me. Once I'm heading for the bed she is usually getting up, so someone is always around to throw splits on. We even caught our little guy a couple times trying to muscle some splits in there haha.

Cherry, elm and a little box elder to start it or when I am home and straight large oak splits before bed for the long haul burn.

I am just starting to get into the oak in my stack. I put it on the bottom figuring I would get to it in January. Working perfect.

Is that vaporize is in secondary burn tubes working well or that you're just really going though the cord wood??
i got a late 70's ashley coal stove no secondary burn or anything but on mild weeks like 30-40 degrees it will hold a fire for 16 hrs with all the air cut off.
im feeding a lot of air to keep my old house warm.

Flat-azz brutal here at 9:30 AM... -8°... 25 MPH northwest wind gusting to 35... windchill bouncing around -35°... blowing snow. We (supposedly) hit our high for the day of -3° at midnight... lookin' for something 'round -15° by late afternoon. Schools are closed, some businesses and services. Not because of temperature, because blowing snow makes rural unpaved roads too hazardous to navigate... especially for buses haulin' children when windchill can kill in minutes.

Plenty warm enough in the house this morning though... burning Bur Oak, Bur Oak, and Bur Oak with a little Bur Oak mixed in :D
Last night was the first time this season I actually went downstairs and added fuel during my nightly wake-up to pee... 3:30 AM this morning. I probably could have got by without it, the house was at 68°... but, it had been 7½ hours and was gonna' get colder outside as morning arrived. When I rolled-out at 5:15 AM it was still 68°, the thermostat kicked up to 71° at 5:30, and by 6:00 it was a nice 71° in the house when the daughter-in-law dropped the grand-baby off on her way to work.

Walkin' from the house to the work van in that cold wind was... well... flat-azz brutal.

I remember those days... Tower, MN wound up with the state cold record. Embarrass, MN had their thermometers break or they may have held the record we hit -42 or something that year.
IIRC Embarrass did not yet have a NWS certified weather station but it was several degrees colder *unofficially* and Babbitt's certified thermometer broke, although they also had colder temps. Therefore the record went to Tower. It's almost always colder in Embarrass and Babbitt than Tower. Back in 04' Embarrass hit -55 again.

We spent that night at our cabin further west on Vermilion. I believe we had -56 on the lake which is always a little warmer than the low lying areas near town.

Filled up with hedge this morning. Only problem I have with burning hedge is that when you go to reload the stove and it's full of coals it tends to burn my face while adding more splits.

There is a bright side to this cold snap... after the last 3-4 days of temperatures droppin' below zero the air has gotten really dry.
I didn't even haf'ta scrape frost off the windshield this morning, and unless we hit -20° I won't haf'ta tomorrow either... the dew-point is -18° :rock2:
See... there is a silver lining ...

I've been burning elm since the start of this heating season. Yesterday evening I brought in a load of 3 1/2 year seasoned honey locust to help out with the heating demand for today, tonight, and tomorrow. I'm glad I was able to save about 1/2 cord of that honey locust now.

Back