362 or 441 to pair with my 261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The handling of the 562xp compared to the 441c will sell you immediately. I have both. IF you are at much of a disadvantage in 24"" wood with the 562 wearing a 20" bar you will more than make up for it in smaller wood. Handling is amazing and great mileage as well. Your application cutting firewood, you won't pick up a 50cc or 70cc with a 562xp around.

Just wanted to give an update...a friend/coworker of mine brought in his 441 and let me take it home for a few days. I ran a tank through it bucking wood out of my pile...

Wow, the difference in power from the 261 is incredible, it cuts through the big red oaks like butter. Its noticeably heavier but when Im just going down a line bucking up the large log its not super noticeable, once I was on the throttle cutting into the wood the weight is on the bar more so than my arms, it just pushes through on its own very nice.

Unfortunately on the smaller logs (I cut from a pile thats dropped on my property, so Im constantly going from very large diameter logs to tiny logs and everything in between when I cut) I found it tiring, it zipped though super fast then I was lifting it 24" down to the next cut more often.

Another thing, I use the bar/mark on the saw as a measuring stick for where to make my next cut so I make the cut, then put the saw 90 degrees so its parallel with the wood, then back to perpendicular to make the cut. That was tiring with the 441 as well, constantly swinging it back and forth.

Overall totally sweet saw, but its got some heft to it.

I wasnt really considering the Huskys because I thought the nearest dealer was a ways away, but with a little googling I found out a nearby forge/fireplace shop carries them, its about 10 minutes further than the Stihl dealer, so not a big deal. Ive been reading about the Husqvarna 562XP quite a bit...I understand its the equivalent to the Stihl 362 in terms of weight/engine size...its $60 cheaper locally ($699 vs $759 for the Stihl) so not enough to sway me one way or another.

Anyway Im going to go handle the 562xp and see what I think. Depending how I like it I think Ill spring for either that or the ms362.

Stay tuned! Hopefully my next post in a few days will have a picture of a shiny new saw ;)
I did the same process and landed in the same space 60cc, in my case at the time i got a 361, which weighted 12.3lbs naked and was around 4.5hp. It handles great and runs like a demon. I never looked back. Saws of this class offer a nice all around package. Enjoy which ever one you get!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Well guys, I picked up the 562xp yesterday. I was pretty torn between the ms362c and the 562xp so I just let price decide for me. The 362 was $759 and the 562xp was $699 - $50 mail in rebate for a total of $649. I paid $699 OTD (no sales tax in NH) and I will mail in for the rebate tomorrow.

The dealer I bought it from sells a lot of saws with these Frostbite bars...he said I could have the Husky bar if I preferred but this Frostbite one seems solid and has a replaceable tip, so I stuck with it for now. It has a 7/32 chain on it.

Initial impressions. The fit/finish/quality of it feels awesome, the balance feels awesome. I only cut about a dozen pieces of wood with it so no real world use impressions just yet, it cut through those pieces no problem obviously. Is a 7/32 chain a pretty un-aggressive chain? Its spinning the chain like a demon but it just doesnt seem to be cutting very quick...and the chips coming out are not very big. Im guessing I just need a more aggressive chain to help cut more aggressively? Maybe a 3/8?

Starting it....I gotta say, Im not impressed with this, and maybe someone can help me out here. I pull the red choke lever out and flip it up, so it locks on choke. Pull the cord a few times till it sounds like it wants to start, then squeeze the throttle which lets the choke go back to off, but then when I pull it just doesnt want to fire. I ended up needing to hold the saw down with my foot so I could hold some throttle down with my free hand while pulling the cord....then it would start. The Stihls lock the throttle lever down so when you first start it starts up with some throttle....then I blip the throttle to release it and it goes to idle - is there a way to do that with the Husky?

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Nice looking saw, I've heard good things about them. In my area the Husky dealer support is almost nonexistent. I have a very good Stihl dealer close with gold level training so that's why I have that brand. It's funny how some hate the complicated "flippy caps" on Stihls but the convoluted choke levers of Husky are fine. Enjoy your saw, I'm happy for you it's a great feeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Husky locks the throttle when you pull out the choke. It remains open until you squeeze the throttle. You should be able to hear it if you listen, pull the choke out, push the choke in, then squeeze the trigger and you should hear the linkage holding the butterfly open click out of the way.

I've never heard of 7/32 chain. 3/8 chain is often filed with a 7/32 file. Is that what you mean? Sounds to me like you need to make sure that chain is sharp, then check the raker height. They might need to come down a few strokes.

I like the spring av on my new 441 vs the rubber mounted 440 I ran for years. The 461's were never changed over to springs. For bucking large oak logs don't bother with the 60cc go with the 70.

I have ran a 25" bar on a stock 562xp bar buried in hard oak. It's not fast but it cuts without a whimper. Unless you just want a bigger saw than the 562 or find yourself in big wood all the time the 261 and 562 should handle anything you toss at them without the weight.
The 576 is a really nice 74cc saw.

I just made sure that a Stihl MS 362 starts and runs well. Looks like it has 100 hours on it. Compression is excellent but the bar was dirty and in bad shape, chain brake guard handle was broken and had to be replaced, top shroud had a huge crack and had to be replaced, decomp valve was broken, and the engine would not start at all. It now starts easily and runs great. I figure I'll offer the owner $200 cash to sell it to me, or he can pay me $150 to cover my parts and labor.

What is your prediction? Will he (a) sell it for $200 cash or (b) pay me $150 cash for the repaired saw? What would you do if you were in his shoes?

I just made sure that a Stihl MS 362 starts and runs well. Looks like it has 100 hours on it. Compression is excellent but the bar was dirty and in bad shape, chain brake guard handle was broken and had to be replaced, top shroud had a huge crack and had to be replaced, decomp valve was broken, and the engine would not start at all. It now starts easily and runs great. I figure I'll offer the owner $200 cash to sell it to me, or he can pay me $150 to cover my parts and labor.

What is your prediction? Will he (a) sell it for $200 cash or (b) pay me $150 cash for the repaired saw? What would you do if you were in his shoes?

I'd pay $150.

Starting it....I gotta say, Im not impressed with this, and maybe someone can help me out here. I pull the red choke lever out and flip it up, so it locks on choke. Pull the cord a few times till it sounds like it wants to start, then squeeze the throttle which lets the choke go back to off, but then when I pull it just doesnt want to fire. I ended up needing to hold the saw down with my foot so I could hold some throttle down with my free hand while pulling the cord....then it would start. The Stihls lock the throttle lever down so when you first start it starts up with some throttle....then I blip the throttle to release it and it goes to idle - is there a way to do that with the Husky?

This is one of those times when reading the manual and following the start procedure listed are critical. I sold my 562 because being a Stihl guy I flooded it every time I started it. I am pretty sure than your pulling the throttle trigger is your problem. I am pretty sure after it pops you push the lever down a click and then pull again.

Again, as much as it hurts read the manual and follow those starting instructions. Once you get that down you will love it.

This is one of those times when reading the manual and following the start procedure listed are critical. I sold my 562 because being a Stihl guy I flooded it every time I started it. I am pretty sure than your pulling the throttle trigger is your problem. I am pretty sure after it pops you push the lever down a click and then pull again.

Again, as much as it hurts read the manual and follow those starting instructions. Once you get that down you will love it.

This

Nice looking saw, I've heard good things about them. In my area the Husky dealer support is almost nonexistent. I have a very good Stihl dealer close with gold level training so that's why I have that brand. It's funny how some hate the complicated "flippy caps" on Stihls but the convoluted choke levers of Husky are fine. Enjoy your saw, I'm happy for you it's a great feeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I would have gone with the MS362 based on prior experience and a great local dealership that I've used for 40 years, but bottom line both Stihl and Huskvarna make great saws,

Latest posts

Back