Art Martin: Will the Real Logger Please Stand Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact that Art died a few days ago doesn't make your comment look very good Dennis. Delete it and I will delete this one. Mike

Mike,

Really sorry to hear that Art is gone. He's the guy I bought my 820 PowerBee motor from for my mill. A few years back I spent three days up at Art's home having him teach me how to hand sharpen my chains. In return I built him one of the chain sharpening mandrel's I make. He said it looked so nice he didn't want to use it and get it dirty. I know his daughters and grand children will surly miss him.

Thanks for letting us all know.

jerry-

Can someone verify if this is Art?

In Memory of
Arthur Frederick Martin
November 2, 1928 - November 19, 2012
Obituary

Arthur (Art) Martin of Orangevale passed away on November 19, 2012 in Roseville Kaiser Hospital after a long illness. He was born in Fort Bragg, California on November 2, 1928. He had just celebrated his 84th birthday. His wife, and family were at his side. He is survived by his wife of 51 years, Marita, son David, son Gary (Paula) and daughter (Larry). He had eight grand children and three great-grand children. He was preceded in death by his parents, brother and grandson.

Art was a survivor. Thirty-seven years ago, he was diagnosed with leukemia and given a 10% chance to live from Friday to Monday. He survived five years of chemotherapy to compete in logging shows. He won California ax throw champion twice.

He was a timber faller in Fort Bragg until his wife suggested that he look for a safer job. He took a test for fire departments around Northern California and was hired by the Campbell Fire Department. He was retired from there on a disability. He developed leukemia two years after retirement.

The family moved back to Fort Bragg. While still on chemotherapy, Art competed in the Labor Day Logging show. He won the All Around Title in three decades. He served on the Paul Bunyan Celebration Board for five years. Several articles were written in the Advocate News about his leukemia survival. One Labor Day, the San Francisco KPIX crew was in Fort Bragg and while filming the logging show, they were told Art's story. The program aired in 50 different stations throughout the country. He received calls from various people wanting to know the secret to his survival.

A private family service is to be held in a few weeks and a celebration of his life will be held in the spring.
In lieu of flowers, remembrances can be made to your favorite charity.

Arthur Martin Obituary: View Obituary for Arthur Martin by Reichert's Funeral & Cremation Services, Citrus Heights, CA

THE greatest thread on AS.

After reading Arts posts and seeing the selfless teaching and memories of his life and the people he touched, I feel truly unworthy.

What a great guy, a true Gentleman and a real class act.

My condolences to those who his life has touched.

And thank you for the link Fish, best 5 hours I have ever spent in front of a computer.

ohh...

i just came across this, and there i was, about to make some wise comment about northern hemisphere timber, when i did the fast forward to here.

my condolences. the few threads ive read, and the few pics seen, this art martin guy was an old timer with the old knowledge. the talk of scarfing with an axe to almost planed flatness rings pretty true. that was what you did. took pride in what you did. your skills.

what a shame to read the news i read. oh well. has to happen to us all one day.

the fact people awknowledge our passing is what counts. shows you were a somebody :)

now, back to laughing! the first few pages of this thread just hammered home a small thought i had today...

HOW DID ANYONE POSSIBLY CLEAR AUSTRALIA? with an AXE?

we dont have oak, we dont have oregon pine. we have ironbark and cypress pine. we have 12 of the twenty hardest timbers. thats "commercially milled" hard, not "anything that grows and needs cutting down" hard, remember that.

and having tried splitting just an 8 inch length of unseasoned buloke this afternoon... my hands are still numb. it was only 6 inches round! it rings! it clangs! it does anything but split! its the hardest timber in the world!

as it is... its from a tree that fell around chrissy time. the lil baby 6 foot lengths, about 4feet diameter...my tractor wasnt lifting them by itself. needed 2 mates to give it some "assistance". at which it just did wheelies and the log rolled back off again! dragged em eventually. had to buy a new chain for the saw, mainly cus its last use seemed to be as a ditchwitch or a masonry saw or something similar... hmmmm?

i think im going to be buying a log splitter for the majority of this thing... i got 10 tonne to cut and split!

us kids have it easy. all too soft these days. bring back the cane! bring back rations! bring back the CHAIN GANGS! bring back necessity.

yeah :)

RIP dude.

another lifetime perhaps.

cus right now id love some advice on sharpening chains to deal with cutting ironwoods...

I started reading this today for the first time without noticing the start date. Awesome thread. Probably the best I've read on here or on any other site. While reading it, having to stop to go back to work ect, I shared what I was reading and some of the pics with friends and coworkers. The amount of information this guy had is amazing only second to the amount of life he lived. I am devastated to get to the end only to find out he's passed away. RIP Art Martin and thank you.

Loco

Latest posts

Back