AutoTune vs M-Tronic vs ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
auto tune seems more user friendly and info friendly. where the mtronic dosnt let the tech or the user adjust certain settings or view them. the auto tune will or has a reset to default.
I just seem to think the Mtronic seems a bit lacking on information and adjustments

From an operating standpoint, I find the M-Tronic easier (just 3 positions, Stop, Run, Start) and it seems to have fewer issues, although most Husky issues seem to be w/the 562. I guess that is why it is good we have choices, people prefer different things.

The reset procedure for M-Tronic is not hard to do, and adjusts to UR conditions (not a default).

The normal carburetor has three adjustments: idle plus low & high needles. With AutoTune/CarbControl and M-Tronic all these settings goes away for the end user.

The Stihl MS241C-M as well as the Husqvarna 550XP and 560XP models, all has an impressive idle - I don't know if that's implied with their Strato design? Even our MS362C-Q has a steady idle as well, but not as nice as the HVA ones with AT.

I guess the idle is set by the electronics, but how? Is there an actuator that adjusts the idle?

Also the low rpm needle (nozzle?) needs adjustments depending on the fuel, temperature, altitude. I therefore need to adjust the L needle on our old traditionally equipped Jonsereds, to get the response of the saw I'm happy with. The trade off I guess is between fuel consumption and throttle response.

How does an AutoTune/M-tronic adjust for optimal throttle response? Is that pre-set from factory? Is that really an optimal L setting for all border cases where an AutoTune equipped saw will be used?

Can the HVA Diagnostic Tool be used to optimize the L settings for my local driving conditions?

The throttle response is pre-set, only idle and wot are adjusted on the fly. I suppose you could go into the 550xpat carb and adjust the "magic screw", although I've never done it and don't know exactly what it does do.

I'm starting to think that the 550xpat is falsely worshipped on this site, its throttle response is not too good.

The throttle response is pre-set, only idle and wot are adjusted on the fly. I suppose you could go into the 550xpat carb and adjust the "magic screw", although I've never done it and don't know exactly what it does do.

I'm starting to think that the 550xpat is falsely worshipped on this site, its throttle response is not too good.
There is a L adjustment on the 550. There's other adjustments on the butterflies on the 441 to help the idle.

I generally really like my M-Tronic saw. It did start acting up on me a few weeks ago, so I did a re calibration and it has run like a top since then.

I think that it is great that U can re calibrate it yourself w/o going to the dealer or needing any tools.

Full Disclosure: I have never owned an Auto Tune saw.

I'm unaware of any performance issues to date with M-tronic. Husky 562xp on the other hand... Has had some issues. Although not with all 562's.

But I think you knew that.
I myself havent owned any autotunes but there is alota fellas here on AS that love them so there has to be something great about them . I had trouble with my first saw over a year ago which was a 441c with a hot start issue but I traded to the dealer for my 461. Since Ive bought a 362c and a 241c and have had 0 issues with either saw! Especially the 362!!!! Its an unbelievably awesome saw!! It wasnt so awesome in stock form as I think Randys exact words when he ran it was TURD!! Dang I had a bad day that day!!:( But when I got it back:):rock::happybanana:

i don't get wound up. i'm just sitting here having a whiskey look'n to whind others up LOL i'm not convinced that the el44 on my 562 has any kind of TPS or temp sensor. i have not stripped it down completely but once the module is removed it is just a normal carb as far as i can tell. i didn't even pull the recoil off yet though so not sure where those wires go. just not sure how a magnetic TPS could communicate with the module unless one of those wires goes to the magnets which it appears to not. now i am curious so i'll have to find out where those wires go. i just got the saw not long ago.
can confirm there is in fact a temp sensor and throttle position sensor on el44. we have tests for them in the diagnostic tool (Husqvarna Service Hub)

my 562 has an el-44

Stihl bought the rights of auto tune ( m- tronic) from husky . m-tronic is one of the first stages of huskys auto tune.. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys .
They didn't buy them. They took Husky to court and convinced some EU judge to side with them. Stihl got electronic compensating carbs, strato charging and some other stuff.

Latest posts

Back