AutoTune vs M-Tronic vs ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an end user, if it works that is all that matters. I don't pretend to know how it does it, but it does it!

And, re: the carb problems, I don't think any one here knows if it was a manufacturing problem, or a design problem. I would think if the problem were the fault of a specific carb co., they would have switched to a different co., but they have not. IMO, that says something.

Also, if someone knows of something that is more sophisticated in Auto Tune then in M-Tronic, please share what it is, I'd like to know.

This is what I know, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The M-Tronic system looks for maximum rpm under load. If the engine is too lean you loose rpm's, too rich you loose rpm's. The system also changes ignition timing. That's pretty much it.

The Husqvarna system has a temp sensor in the carb and a TPS sensor. Don't know if it has an O2 sensor, but I don't believe so.

Not the best video but have a look anyway. Yes it's the shop talk guy.

And Stihl says: "STIHL M-Tronic remembers your last setting under the same external conditions and resets to it every time once the engine reaches full power. "

Elsewhere, it says it adjusts for temp, alt, and fuel quality.

This is an exercise in futility, no one is providing hard answers.

I am not trying to call ********, but I just can't wrap my head around 760 minutes of run time on 39 tanks. Do people really idle their saws that much?

I read through the Stihl tech sheet on the M-Tronic. Yes it saves last tune, but that is obviously in flux during use, and in different environmental conditions. But when you turn the saw off it saves those parameters. The system works off of rpm's. If the temperature goes up, the air is now less dense and the mixture now becomes too rich, and rpm's drop. At that point the fuel setting is leaned out to raise the rpm's.

The Huaqvarna system is more advanced, and is likely the reason for some of the issues, along with QC problems with the carb manufacture IMHO.

This is first generation stuff people. Yes it should work correctly, but that is what happens to manufactures that didn't really invest in R&D for 30+ years.

My other thing is why is quad porting and spring av just being put on the 661?

Because the 660 was a bulletproof saw and well liked with the people that mattered. More importantly the 660 was not sold in high volumes so it wasn't a priority. That is until updating the saw was a must, unless Stihl didn't want to sell a 90cc saw anymore.

let's just take a moment to look at the current saws of today and the past saws they replaced. separate the 2 brands as old and new. i think the fact that the new stihls are literally and i mean literally fat ass husky's is the answer to all questions this thread could bring up. stihls suck and even stihl knew that so they copied everything. literally!!! only 2 things i can think of husky copying was the 3/4 wrap and the flippy cap. they sure were smart about the flippy cap though. i swear, the stihl engineers must have been on acid when they designed those caps.

let's just take a moment to look at the current saws of today and the past saws they replaced. separate the 2 brands as old and new. i think the fact that the new stihls are literally and i mean literally fat ass husky's is the answer to all questions this thread could bring up. stihls suck and even stihl knew that so they copied everything. literally!!! only 2 things i can think of husky copying was the 3/4 wrap and the flippy cap. they sure were smart about the flippy cap though. i swear, the stihl engineers must have been on acid when they designed those caps.
My sides hurt after that!

My other thing is why is quad porting and spring av just being put on the 661?

Because the result is a 661 that is lighter, more powerful, and smoother to operate. it's stihl a POS though :D

it is actually because stihl just decided to try compete with the 390 by copying it. they are competing for sure but the 390 is a platform that is 13 years old. you stihl guys are gonna **** bricks when the new husky's come out.

This is what I know, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The M-Tronic system looks for maximum rpm under load. If the engine is too lean you loose rpm's, too rich you loose rpm's. The system also changes ignition timing. That's pretty much it.

The Husqvarna system has a temp sensor in the carb and a TPS sensor. Don't know if it has an O2 sensor, but I don't believe so.

Not the best video but have a look anyway. Yes it's the shop talk guy.

they are the same man. all either of them have is a module on the side of the carb. no temp sensor or TPS at all. they both adjust the mixture by ignition feedback which is what you think the m-tronic does.

they are the same man. all either of them have is a module on the side of the carb. no temp sensor or TPS at all. they both adjust the mixture by ignition feedback which is what you think the m-tronic does.

The AT system has a temperature sensor in the carb and the throttle cable has a magnetic TPS pickup.

Back