M-tronic/Autotune bologna??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. The 441CM and 576AT seemed to close the cc gap with larger saws, in fact the mm but stock 441 Brad had was on par with a good running 046. Look for post 148. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/178634-10.htm One thing I really liked about the MM 441 was the throttle response, it was ported saw fast.

all iam saying its i hate working on 441s period. design took 2 steps back in terms of serviceability and thats no opinion its fact. at least the 576 stays inline with other pro saws in the way you work on them.

also i do like the new electronic carbs, but that doesnt over ride the fact they come on the 2 least popular 70cc models.

if they tried out a 372 xtorq autotune, i be in.

+1, Throttle response does feel very quick on these saws, right out of the box.

Throttle response has been a complaint on some strato's.

I Hadn't heard that. That could well be true as I havn't tried any other strat's other than the 562. Mabye thats why the 1st Gen Strat saws like the 575 didn't go over so well.
I Guess I can't speak for all the new pro-saw strats, But I would like'n the throttle response on the 562 to very near/ or on par with a 346.
It's Very Quick, more so than any of the others I own.

People only have to look at some of the ported 441 M-Tronics doing the rounds to see that the technology is VERY adaptable. Personally I think the 441's are an overweight and poorly balanced turd but there is no doubt they are a good saw. The people that own them love them but the same people always seem to have a full stable of Stihl gear so can't exactly be classed as non biased :poke:
Personally I have the 441C's baby brother the 241C and it is an awesome little saw. I'll take my ported Dolmar 7900's and Husky 390XP's over a 441 anyday as it's the balance and handling, not performance, that I find a shocker.
I agree that the technology is limited compared to what is on motorbikes etc but it does work. Too much money and development has gone into it for us mere mortals to think we know better than Stihl on this one and we really shoudn't underestimate the IQ of the guys who developed it. Stihl (and Husky) have a lot more up their sleeve than this.

well i was about to get a stihl 441c-m but found out that in aus the dealers dont have any softwear to fix a problem should it arise , they would have to pack it up and ship it back to stihl aus to fix it so no saw for 2 to 4 weeks or more so that equals NO AT FOR ME.

makes you wonder why a big company like stihl lets the horse out and then shuts the gate ?? :confuse:

Even less chance of a quick fix if they found out it was a 441C sourced from the US :D
Good luck getting that puppy fixed via Stihl Australia!

Last edited:
Ok Matt i agree but
Holden V Ford
Good luck getting your ported 390 or what evers fixed under warranty in Australia.:msp_rolleyes:

If something goes wrong withe the MTronics i will gett the parts and fix um.

Ok Matt i agree but
Holden V Ford
Good luck getting your ported 390 or what evers fixed under warranty in Australia.:msp_rolleyes:

Thats why I stated it's my opinion on the 441 Andrew and put the poking stick bit in. I thought all my positive comments on the M-Tronic system may have given me a buffer but apparently not. As far as getting my 390 fixed under warranty I don't need to, I can fix it myself which was my point. Try doing diagnostics on an M-Tronic system that's crapped itself and come up with a solution in your shed.
My comment to Darren was assuming he was looking at importing a 441C-M from the US (which I think he would have), not buying one local. Bringing Stihl Australia into the equation with their lack of diagnostics and a turn around time of 2-4 weeks is a moot point as they wouldn't want anything to do with an imported 441C anyway. They'd either charge you $800 to fix it, or tell you to jam it.
Remember that I actually own an imported 241C and if it sh*t itself I wouldn't have the gall to take it to a local dealer to be fixed. That's the ultimate kick in the guts and just downright rude.
If you import any new model saw from the US to Australia and expect a local dealer to fix it in a reasonable timeframe, or fix it at all, then you're probably pushing the relationship boundaries just a bit too far.

EDIT: You must have been pretty quick with adding the "If something goes wrong withe the MTronics i will gett the parts and fix um" bit mate as it didn't even come up with an edit tag.

Of course to fix it you have to know what the parts are that you need. Is it the coil? Is it one of the sensors? Is it the solonoid operated H jet? Is it a combination of everything? Problem is that without the diagnostics gear you are limited in knowing where the actual problem is.

Last edited:
Ya mate i agree again but
Im not paying an extra 6 or 700 dollars for an Australian warrenty no way.:msp_sad:
As you know as soon as you go anywhere near a saw with a grinder and do any modds bye bye warrenty.

Jeeze new fangled crap, all them little parts, tubes and what not. LMAO!!! As bad as a new auto.

I am happy not to be subject to such.

PM8004.jpg

Ya mate i agree again but
Im not paying an extra 6 or 700 dollars for an Australian warrenty no way.:msp_sad:
As you know as soon as you go anywhere near a saw with a grinder and do any modds bye bye warrenty.

Neither am I. You can buy two US sourced saws for the price of one Aussie one so I'll take the no warranty approach anyday.
My original comment to Darren about getting a dealer to fix it should have been clearer. I was referring to all imported saws and Australian warranty but in Darren's case it was a 441.

My god Randy you have enough room in there to fit a whole desktop computer to run that thing.

I wandered through some of Mastermind's build threads, I was quite frankly appalled at the "under the hood" clutter, I saw failure written all over them. They won't age well, wear and oxidation will wreak havoc, then off you go to assume the position at the dealer.

shop002-1.jpg

I wandered through some of Mastermind's build threads, I was quite frankly appalled at the "under the hood" clutter, I saw failure written all over them. They won't age well, wear and oxidation will wreak havoc, then off you go to assume the position at the dealer.

My local stihl shop charges $65 an hour and can't even make his shop computer work, much less a saw he knows absolutely nothin about. The 441C will be a parts swappers dream....

So, what does the m-tronic do when u are cutting along and u hit a knot? Does it lean out? Richen up? Does it advance the timing or possibly retard it?

So, what does the m-tronic do when u are cutting along and u hit a knot? Does it lean out? Richen up? Does it advance the timing or possibly retard it?

I'd suggest it advances the timing while richening it up. All I know is that it just punches out more torque and gets on with the job :)

People only have to look at some of the ported 441 M-Tronics doing the rounds to see that the technology is VERY adaptable. Personally I think the 441's are an overweight and poorly balanced turd but there is no doubt they are a good saw. The people that own them love them but the same people always seem to have a full stable of Stihl gear so can't exactly be classed as non biased :poke:
Personally I have the 441C's baby brother the 241C and it is an awesome little saw. I'll take my ported Dolmar 7900's and Husky 390XP's over a 441 anyday as it's the balance and handling, not performance, that I find a shocker.
I agree that the technology is limited compared to what is on motorbikes etc but it does work. Too much money and development has gone into it for us mere mortals to think we know better than Stihl on this one and we really shoudn't underestimate the IQ of the guys who developed it. Stihl (and Husky) have a lot more up their sleeve than this.

Even less chance of a quick fix if they found out it was a 441C sourced from the US :D
Good luck getting that puppy fixed via Stihl Australia!

and thats what me comment was all about i don't have much money so what ever i have i try to fix me self
thats why me truck's been of the road fo so long haha so it will be a normal saw and from what i have seen of the 461 wouldn't touch one for at least 3 years and i need one a lot soona than that look at me sig i've got withdrawal
BAD CHEERS.

and thats what me comment was all about i don't have much money so what ever i have i try to fix me self
thats why me truck's been of the road fo so long haha so it will be a normal saw and from what i have seen of the 461 wouldn't touch one for at least 3 years and i need one a lot soona than that look at me sig i've got withdrawal
BAD CHEERS.

Don't worry mate the 390XPG covers the ones you've sold :) And it'll keep your mitts warm in cold weather...

Latest posts

Back