Best saw for $300-350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm helping a guy to pick out a new saw. I got a steal on a Solo made Crafstman (651) on ebay for about $250, which I sold to another friend. This other guy likes that saw and wants at least that much Hp and CC's (4.0 Hp, 51cc's) He wants brand new and wants to pay $300-350. The Stihl 029 and 031 are about the best bang for the buck when it comes to Hp, but after hearing many bash the quality and plastic crankcase, I tried to steer him away from those models. Unless another bargain comes up on ebay, I can't get a Solo 651 for less then $400. I recommended the Husqvarna 346XP (about $370), and the echo CS-510 (about $380), but suggested the John Deere CS-56 (about $320, 12.6 lbs, 4.1 Hp, 2-year warranty). The CS-56 beats an 029 in almost every category (except maybe operator convenience).

My questions then:

I owned an 029 for a while, and other than the extra weight, thought it seemed decent. Has anyone had specific problems with this saw?

Has anyone had experience with the John Deere CS-56 (or equivalent Olympyk/ EFCO/ EMAK)?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Check this out, I'm told this is a solo made saw but I don't know for sure

http://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm
Go to their store, follow the links to chainsaws and look at the "baileys" brand saw. 51cc 3.6hp 20" b/c $299.95 new with a warranty. I have not used one of these or even ever seen one so I'm not recommending it just pointing it out for you to look at.

I have a MS290 that seems to keep running stronger,with plenty of power for me.It was purchased with a 20" bar and has more than enough power for it.The saw does not have a adjustable oiler,which I consider a weak point.Sthil says it can be fitted with 16" to 24" bars,however I consider the oil volume a little low for a 20" bar and would recommend a 16"(which Stihl recommends on their web site).
Rick

The Bailey's B51 is a 651 SP, not the 651, just 0.4 hp less, still a great saw.

Solo 651

Jeff Sikkema, a guy many of you know, advertises a new Solo 651 for $289.95 in the flyer he sends out. I never checked to see if it`s a 651P but the price would suggest that it is. Russ

The problem with the 029 is it is a $300 disposable saw. It is a huge pain in the rump to work on. For the same $300 you can get many lighter, rebuildable saws, like the Husky 55.

Its too bad that Baileys only has the 651SP. That still is an awesome deal for a saw that I think is better than a Stihl 026. When I bought the Solo (651) made Craftsman on ebay, the guy sold two of them for a buy it now price of near $230. I'm kicking myself for not buying the other one. I think the Husky 55 would be a good saw in that price range, I'm just concerned it may not have enough power to suit this guy. I tried to convince him to let me find him a nice used 60cc pro saw for around his price range, but he insisted he wanted new. Thanks everyone for the input, and keep the suggestions coming.

I stopped at the local Jonsered/Echo shop, and they have the Echo CS-510 for $350 w/20$ bar. I believe the Hp of that saw to be around 3.8, and it weighs 11.3 lbs. It also has a two year consumer warranty. Has anyone had experience with this saw or had a chance to run one of these next to another 50cc saw?

Anyone that can help out with info on the 4.0 hp Solo 651 price and availability? Have a contact for this Jeff Sikkema?

I called Scott Hourigan co, they thought $499 was the best they could do.

Solo has a new saw, the 650, also 51 cc, but only 3.3 hp. However, it only weighs 9.9 lb, making it close to the 3.5 hp shindaiwa 488 in weight, which is 10.1 lb.

I just bought my 651 from Scott Hourigan in September 2001 for $400 (16" Bar). Did Scott Hourigan mention why the price jumped $100 in 6 months? I get the impression that that Solo is trying to phase out the 651 in the US, and switch to the 651SP. Maybe that's why the price hike. Could it have something to do with emissions? Other than the rim vs. spur sprocket and red instead of black filter cover, I'm curious as to what the difference between the 651SP and 651 is. Why does one make 4.0Hp and the other only 3.6. Maybe the porting or the carb is slightly different.

651 vs 651SP

Yes!, you are correct sir! I don't claim to be anything close to resembling a "wrench" but, this is the way it was explained to me.
The 651 has a different ignition. The 651SP is a quad-port design as oppossed to the 651's closed port design. I'm told that it is this closed port deal that makes that 651 a screamer. The difference between 'em when you run 'em side-by-side is huge. The 651SP is a good saw, don't get me wrong but, seems like the 651 has "one more gear".I guess it's the difference 'tween a Semi-pro and a Pro saw. Maybe one of you fellas who wrench on saws for a living could elaborate on this and shed some light our way? The wizards on this site who "juice" saws would surely know/explain how porting makes the difference. Thanks in advance.

Guys, I went to the 2000-2001 Dolmar.de german website, and the old 54 cc model 115 was still available. it weighs 10.1 lb, same as Shindaiwa, but claims 3.7 hp, making it the best in class. 0.7 lb lighter and .3 hp less than the solo.

I'll bet, if and when dolmar upgrades their smaller saws to be like the new PS-7900, they'll be amazingly light and fast.

A friend has a couple Sachs, 120 and 143 or something, they still work great. I used to have the 120, I think it was, same size and weight as the Husky 266/8. always liked its power and feel, but it was stolen, along with a 288, 026 and samll echo. Four years earlier, my 045 Super and three others flew the coup.

Now my quiver are insured!!! $68 a yr, and if I run over em, that's covered too, methinx.

More for less

Hey Tony I just bought a cs-4400 Echo for $280.00 I'm going to put it to the test this weekend. I'll let you know if holds up. I compared more than a few saws but Echo has always had a good rep. And when price is an issue, they seem to be the better choice. The 4400 may be too small for major work but it comes with a 18" bar. It will handle my small amount of fence row clearing and firewood. Good luck!! The Hoosier

"It's a Jungle out There!

Well, we ended up going with the John Deere CS-56. Even with an extra Stihl RS chain, the total was just under $350. So far he seems thrilled with the saw. He said it starts easy, is light weight, and has good power. (I want run it!!) It's also the pretiest saw I've ever seen. There just something about that color green.

Just an update. I finally ran the JD CS-56. It must start easy, because I managed to flood it out upon starting thinking it would be cold blooded like my saws. Cuts like a dream. Lots o' torque and excellent power. I think it would outcut most saws for $350, and some that cost more. I'm impressed, and now I feel the need to try the JD CS-62. I really think that these are going to prove to be good saws for Deere, once people stop discrediting them because of John Deere's Homelite experiment.

Homelite is the hot potato no one wants to get stuck with now. Someone ppplllleeeeeaaaaaasssseeee kill Homelite and put them out of their misery!:mad:

Get the 346xp. Lighter than the Husky 55 and more horsepower. Runs thin kerf chain like a charm. Had one for a month a love it! Great for limbing felled trees and bucking up stuff under 12 inches. Great power keeps it from bogging down in larger cuts. Cut 6 cords last Sunday and left my 288 in the truck. Definitely worth the extra $50 bucks or so.

What do you mean thin kerf chain? Low pro 3/8th or .325? I think there is a wide kerf 3/8 chain, but I dont use it for any bar length.

I run 3/8 .050 on most of my saws. I hear .325 is faster for small saws, but I dont feel like having to screw with another chain type, plus it has too darn many cutters to file. I run semi skip and full skip. I know you should run full comp on up to 24 inch bars, but mine seem to cut smoothly enough. I'm only seldom in real hardwoods.

Back