Cant decide on smaller saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donut757

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Trying to figure out a saw that will suite my occasional needs around the house if ever needed and at the farm, 50 acres... no firewood but habitat work and cleaning up downed limbs, etc. all timber is pine and not large yet. Have a buddy that takes care of all bigger stuff if needed so really want something smaller that will fit on the four wheeler, not a pain to tote around, but can handle anything up to say 10” if ever needed... most would be less than that when just trimming. If i had to guess we are talking homeowner use, 3-4 days of use a year at farm, and then as needed at the farm.

Use to have stihl 200t that was given to me and has been long gone, ms 250 that has been a great saw but we keep that at the cabin, and the current ms 180 (bought used for $80) that has worked out perfectly for my needs. It has bitten the dust after 3 years and im not spending the money to repair it.

I can get Stihl stuff for a very good price so i will be sticking with them. I dont want to go with the cheap ms 180, but im really not against it becuase the is perfect but it doesnt have the power i wis it had at times but have made it work. Not looking to break the bank but Right now im thinking about:

180 (~$150)...cheap
250 (~$240)...heavier than i would like, more saw than what i imagine needing regularly. But familiar
211 (~$200). Little more power than 180
251 (little cheaper than 250)... ^ , but never used one
193 c-e ( ~$265).. i know light weight, but power is my concern on anything closer to 10”
193t (~$230)... i would sacrifice power for the top handle and ease of use
241 (~$360)... i dont need a pro saw, but the power and weight i keep coming back too.

I really dont know if i would use the saw enough to justify the 241. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Not sure how i left off the 211 in intial post... have read many good thing about the 211. The 211 and 241 are top choices really

Yeah USD, and they end up being saws that were pulled off the assembly line to check for fucntion.

I guess the only thing that i hesitate with the on the 241 is the fancy M Tronic carb... i dont think i care to learn how to mess with them, but maybe im missng something on their ease of tuning/self adjusting??? Especially with such occassional use, how does that effect the fancy electric carbs?

The ms 201 c-em looks like a good running little saw.
10 inch pine is easy cutting stuff, if a little saw struggles with it, its dull.
You don't need to mess with m tronic saws, that's the point of them they self adjust.
I'd use the cans of pre mixed gas if I only used the saws a few days a year so the carbs don't gum up.

You don't need to mess with m tronic saws, that's the point of them, they self adjust.
I'd use the cans of pre mixed gas if I only used the saws a few days a year so the carbs don't gum up.

Yup, and Yup. I have the orange version of the auto tune and not needing a screwdriver to play with the carb is a bonus, not a detraction. I bought one can of Trufuel and reuse the empty can. I use stabilant and label the can with the ratio and mix date and pour it into my car when it gets a little age on it.
can.jpg

I have an MS231, which is the Europe-only smaller sibling of the MS251. It's a great little saw: I bought it over the MS241 because I could not justify buying a smaller pro-saw and it really surprised me in favorable fashion. It has a lot of hours on it, only problem so far has been crud buildup on the clutch, which is not exactly unexpected considering this is not a pro-saw.
I dare to say I use it as much as the MS362C and albeit it looks rather tatty right now I am going to keep it until it's economically sound to keep it running or my much abused body finally falls apart. :D
So my vote is for the MS251. The MS241 is much better, but it's also so much more expensive...

The 170/180 models will do basically everything i need... but i will throw those in trash for what i cant get new ones for.

241 is ~$120 more than 251... i put the word in and will have to wait a bit for 241 to be available.

Trying to figure out a saw that will suite my occasional needs around the house if ever needed and at the farm, 50 acres... no firewood but habitat work and cleaning up downed limbs, etc. all timber is pine and not large yet. Have a buddy that takes care of all bigger stuff if needed so really want something smaller that will fit on the four wheeler, not a pain to tote around, but can handle anything up to say 10” if ever needed... most would be less than that when just trimming. If i had to guess we are talking homeowner use, 3-4 days of use a year at farm, and then as needed at the farm.

Use to have stihl 200t that was given to me and has been long gone, ms 250 that has been a great saw but we keep that at the cabin, and the current ms 180 (bought used for $80) that has worked out perfectly for my needs. It has bitten the dust after 3 years and im not spending the money to repair it.

I can get Stihl stuff for a very good price so i will be sticking with them. I dont want to go with the cheap ms 180, but im really not against it becuase the is perfect but it doesnt have the power i wis it had at times but have made it work. Not looking to break the bank but Right now im thinking about:

180 (~$150)...cheap
250 (~$240)...heavier than i would like, more saw than what i imagine needing regularly. But familiar
211 (~$200). Little more power than 180
251 (little cheaper than 250)... ^ , but never used one
193 c-e ( ~$265).. i know light weight, but power is my concern on anything closer to 10”
193t (~$230)... i would sacrifice power for the top handle and ease of use
241 (~$360)... i dont need a pro saw, but the power and weight i keep coming back too.

I really dont know if i would use the saw enough to justify the 241. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Not sure how i left off the 211 in intial post... have read many good thing about the 211. The 211 and 241 are top choices really
I used to have a MS 270, now bumped to the 271 and loved it. Not a pro saw but all the power of one it seemed. $399.99 around me . If you're willing to go $360, go the 399.99.

Awesome saw.

I used to have a MS 270, now bumped to the 271 and loved it. Not a pro saw but all the power of one it seemed. $399.99 around me . If you're willing to go $360, go the 399.99.

Awesome saw.

I dont doubt it, but will discounted price ill be cheaper than retail.

If i cant get the 241, it will be back to the drawing board with a lesser saw for lesser money. Fingers crossed a 241 is available.

What’s wrong with an older 028/029? They seem well build. I’m not a Stihl guy but I have a 170/029/041.

Back