Chainsaw idiots.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Do you guys sharpen blades?”

“Yes we do, $10 if it’s off your lawnmower, $15 if it’s still on”

“What do you mean lawnmower? I’m talking about my chainsaw blade”

“You mean your chainsaw chain?”

“No I mean my chainsaw blade”

“You mean your bar? We don’t sharpen bars, but we can rail it and buff it and make it good as new for $15”

“No I just need my chainsaw blade sharpened”

“Ok that will be $10 and we will have it for you tomorrow”

Happens multiple times a day, everyday

"My belt broke do you replace those"
-yes, whats your make and model
"Uhh...orange, something..."
-Scotts, husqvarna, ariens,huskee?
"Yeah...husqvarna"
-model number?
"I don't know im on vacation for 2 weeks ill look when i get back"

It was a black yard machines with a yellow decal....the pto cable had snapped.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

"willow is much harder to cut than pine, the saw doesnt bite into it as much. i dunno, maybe my chain is not as sharp at the moment. dont you just love it when you buy a new chain?"
Every new chain I put on finds a nail within the first few minutes of use! Every time I put new Stump Grinder teeth on my grinder we hit rock or concrete shortly! WTF is this?

"My belt broke do you replace those"
-yes, whats your make and model
"Uhh...orange, something..."
-Scotts, husqvarna, ariens,huskee?
"Yeah...husqvarna"
-model number?
"I don't know im on vacation for 2 weeks ill look when i get back"

It was a black yard machines with a yellow decal....the pto cable had snapped.

That’s an everyday exchange for me as well

“Do you guys sharpen blades?”

“Yes we do, $10 if it’s off your lawnmower, $15 if it’s still on”

“What do you mean lawnmower? I’m talking about my chainsaw blade”

“You mean your chainsaw chain?”

“No I mean my chainsaw blade”

“You mean your bar? We don’t sharpen bars, but we can rail it and buff it and make it good as new for $15”

“No I just need my chainsaw blade sharpened”

“Ok that will be $10 and we will have it for you tomorrow”

Happens multiple times a day, everyday
You need a sign for that!

My favorite are the guys that claim their chain tension adjuster doesn't work. They didn't know that the bar nuts had to be loose and they turned it and turned it somemore, now it REALLY doesn't work.
People used to complain about echo side tensioners being crappy but at least once a week id have one come in that was forced so hard it bent the threaded rod.

I went for a walk today down a laneway. I have access to this lane way because I own land either side of it. My neighbour had cut some willow trees further up. Nearly everyone had barberchaired. One had a big chair left on it, the others were just stumps with splits running into the roots. Looking into his field I could see some BIG willows (18-24") that suffered the same fate.

the 290 that my old boss gave me to fix right after I first started working for him- the bar was burnt blue for a solid inch around the edges & it was filed down so far 3-4mm of the drive link below the tie straps was sticking out of the bar groove and DL where riding on the bottom of the channel... It wouldn't cut straight with a "brand new" chain after he replaced the one that was on it so he filed it straight again.
Turns out on inquiry he'd dipped the new carbide chain into his gravel driveway on the first cut, but didn't think it would make it cut weird being carbide, and then spent 4 hours with a bastard file and a level on the bar rails in between test cuts on a fallen tree, during which he ran out of bar oil & put injector cleaner in the tank instead...
He bought a new Bar and chain, sprocket and oil and solved the problem...

the 290 that my old boss gave me to fix right after I first started working for him- the bar was burnt blue for a solid inch around the edges & it was filed down so far 3-4mm of the drive link below the tie straps was sticking out of the bar groove and DL where riding on the bottom of the channel... It wouldn't cut straight with a "brand new" chain after he replaced the one that was on it so he filed it straight again.
Turns out on inquiry he'd dipped the new carbide chain into his gravel driveway on the first cut, but didn't think it would make it cut weird being carbide, and then spent 4 hours with a bastard file and a level on the bar rails in between test cuts on a fallen tree, during which he ran out of bar oil & put injector cleaner in the tank instead...
He bought a new Bar and chain, sprocket and oil and solved the problem...
WTF!

Back