Chainsaw idiots.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Can you look at my saw? It's not cutting right."
"Chain's dull."
"Can't be, it's a new chain."
"Yeah well someone hit something they weren't supposed to with it."
"I only touched the rock for half a second, the chains's fine."
"Yep, that's all it takes."
"Can I borrow your saw to finish the job?"
"No."

Here's one I heard today: "I need to buy another liter of petrol, this 100ml mix oil says use with 5 litres, not 4...if you dont use the correct amount of mix oil your saw wont cut as fast"
Post yours
This is so dumb on so many accounts.
Firstly, IF that blonde girl really believed there was going to be a significant performance difference between 40:1 & the 50:1 recommendation then wouldn't one just estimate there to be 1/5 left in the bottle from the 'full line'? It's barely over an imperial tablespoon.
That's madness!
The other thing is most combi cans in Europe are 5 litres. So they just put 4L
In a 5 litre and then wanted to double back and buy one more litre?
To put that into perspective..a 372 has a tank capacity of just under .8L
The stupid things that can f* people up. Must have been reading stuff on the internet at some point...haha.

As long as someone is within a wide range, I see oil ratio as more of a tuning issue than an oiling issue.

With modern synthetics and someone who knows how to tune a saw, anything 16:1 through ~60:1 is "probably" fine and 16:1 through 50:1 is definitely fine. Note: Not advocating anyone run any less oil than the mfg specifies, and I'm not doing it, just saying that it's "probably" fine.

If they don't know how to tune a saw, and their saw guy tuned it for them, then yeah they better keep running pretty darned close to whatever mix the saw was tuned for. A 25%(or whatever) change in tuning can be huge. And learn to tune your damned saw.

I once loaned a saw to someone. It came back with the low screw all the way in, burnt oil in the air filter, a smashed up chain and a loose handlebar.
Log splitter came back with a broken rod through the block and Chipper came back with a cracked block ! I wont lend anything really anymore.

I'm often asked by my wife's friends if they can borrow one of my saws. I say yes, it comes with an operator. Normal reply is , ok I'll be over to get it (fill in the blank for a date) and I say. No when would you like me to come over and help you? They are normally flabbergasted because they dont get some people just dont lend their equipment to others.

NO disrespect to Stihls or Huskys, but one of my pet-peeves is when a Stihl or Husky "Bro" (usually Stihl) tells a homeowner that cuts a few broken limbs in a year to not "waste their money" on a Poulan Pro but instead should drop $500+ on a pro grade saw.
Better if they just advised them to put some fuel stabilizer in every mix, and empty the tank when storing. Else, most wouldn't be able to clean a carb or install a kit and would be buying new every couple of years. Perhaps those advising buying an expensive saw are hoping to get it cheap when it gums up and is going to cost more than buying a new cheap one to fix.

NO disrespect to Stihls or Huskys, but one of my pet-peeves is when a Stihl or Husky "Bro" (usually Stihl) tells a homeowner that cuts a few broken limbs in a year to not "waste their money" on a Poulan Pro but instead should drop $500+ on a pro grade saw.

For that kind of user, a case of Trufuel is going to do more good than caring what color the saw is.

Better if they just advised them to put some fuel stabilizer in every mix, and empty the tank when storing. Else, most wouldn't be able to install clean a carb or install a kit and would be buying new every couple of years. Perhaps those advising buying an expensive saw are hoping to get it cheap when it gums up and is going to cost more than buying a new cheap one to fix.
For that kind of user, a case of Trufuel is going to do more good than caring what color the saw is.

Most of the bad experiences I've read about on different homeowner-grade gas powered tools can be traced to leaving ethanol gas in them. Especially the occasional use ones. Even the most expensive saw will stop running if you let the carb gum up / corrode.

What I've seen repeatedly on Facebook etc, a guy asks about the Poulan Pro saws for occasional cleanup or trimming. Then cue the Stihl bros " NAH BRAH THEY'RE JUNK AND DON'T WORK TRUST ME... GET A STIHL!!"

Then they post a picture of their barely-used Stihl with the original bar and chain.

X2 we got my old man a ryobi battery powered saw for Christmas last year. His old 031av just took too much work for him to start and keep going, since he stopped burning wood to heat his house. It works well for the 4 times a year he needs it. Plus the battery work in other attachments as well.

Better yet for light duty occasional use, most power tool companies make something like this.
Even worse. Then they have to replace a $75 battery (whoops, just looked it up - $159!!!) every couple of years when they don't maintain it. And, it locks them into a manufacturer. Gas is universal across manufacturers, and $5 worth will run a saw all day with minimal interruption.

Back