Firewood guys: 261cm and ??? (ms400 or 500i with 20" bar)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I asked this in the chainsaw section a while back but figured I'd check with the firewood guys too - it's getting real close to decision time on the second saw and since the 400 has been popping up all over the country maybe a few more guys here have picked one up. I did watch a YouTube video where a guy was running a two saw combo of the 261 and 500i.

The 500i is 13.9lbs and seems to be ~$1300 whereas the 400 is 12.8lbs and ~$850. Either way it's going to run a 20" ES light bar.

What do you think? Go with the 400? 500i? Get both?

Is the 500i going to be wasted on the 20" bar?

Thank you!

I haven’t been able to figure out from the people that recommend the 462 over the 400 if that’s because that’s the saw they know, or if they have used both. Those that I know have used both have been recommending the 400 since it’s got better AV numbers and is a smaller form factor. They did say the 462 would be better with a 24+” bar though. Never ending debate.

I know absolutely nothing about either saw.
However, I think it would depend on which saw your going to use the most of your two saw plan.
If it is the 261, I would opt for the larger big saw, leaving the option of longer bars if ever needed. If your going to run the larger saw more, and as you say, with a 20" bar I would opt for the lighter of the two or three big saws. Another consideration is vibration, and carpel tunnel, if that's an issue at all. Then consider which has better anti vibration.

I had a chance to run a 500i a couple of years ago. It wasn't broke in and all we had was a 20" bar. I couldn't tell much difference between that and my 462 with a 20" bar. I have a bunch of saws and the 261 and 462 are the ones that get the most use. TBH I don't know a lot about the 400.

Johnsayen You didn't say how old you are. I can't speak about a 400 or 500 never ran one. I have had a 461 for seven years and for six it was my go to saw running mostly a twenty inch bar. I have a 660 with a thirty six inch bar for the big stuff. Being seven years older and two shoulder surgery's later in the last year I bought a 261 with a sixteen inch bar and now its my go to saw and the 461 sets a lot. I process 15-20 cord a year mostly locust and hedge and since I bought the 261 all its seen is hedge. Both saws have been great zero issues with both. If your a young guy buy a NOS 461 or a 462 you will love it.

Johnsayen You didn't say how old you are. I can't speak about a 400 or 500 never ran one. I have had a 461 for seven years and for six it was my go to saw running mostly a twenty inch bar. I have a 660 with a thirty six inch bar for the big stuff. Being seven years older and two shoulder surgery's later in the last year I bought a 261 with a sixteen inch bar and now its my go to saw and the 461 sets a lot. I process 15-20 cord a year mostly locust and hedge and since I bought the 261 all its seen is hedge. Both saws have been great zero issues with both. If your a young guy buy a NOS 461 or a 462 you will love it.
early 40s - thanks for the advice - I am leaning toward the 400 but will see.

a 57-62 cc saw will pull a 20" bar all day, unless you plan to run longer bars on that saw I would get the smallest/ lightest saw possible to prevent fatigue and use less fuel. 90% of cutting firewood the logs are on the ground with you bending to finish cuts with only the base of the trunk requiring a longer bar over 18". If it were I looking into this I would source a saw that runs a16-18" bar and a second saw to run a 20-28" bar. its 50 cents of one half dozen of another!

I haven’t run a 400 yet but I’d like to. I run a 20 on my 562 and I think it pulls it nice. I did buy a 20 for my mastermind 500 just for hahas but I’ve only used it with a 24 so far. I haven’t used a stock 500i but the mastermind version is just insane. I’ve only put a couple tanks on it too.

I recently bought the 400c, my local shop got them in the same week and i bought one, definitely stronger than the 362 i've run, should be similar in power (and weight) to my old 044, which is the saw i usually reach for even though ive had or used every Stihl and Husky pro model made in the last 20 years except the 500i. For 20" bar the 400c is plenty but if you ever want to use a 25" bar and still cut with authority, i like the 461 or 462. For the big stuff the 661 is a great saw.

In case of a newish saw, I use the calculation every 10cm (about 4 inches) per HP.
Give or take a little. Considering you actually use the whole bar.
Some people don't like the bend over and would use a 40" bar like a Bushcutter.
If you use a much longer bar, you'll likely wear out your clutch, or make your piston get hotter than optimal.
But most importantly, the saws oiler is not made to oil such a bar. Sparky bar and heavy chain wear bla bla bla.
If the bar is shorter, you are carrying needless extra weight, and be using more gas.

I run both a 500i and a 462 that being said the 462 is fine up to about a 28 where the 500 I run up to a 36. The 500’s really need an aggressive chain with a lot of cutters to really start coming alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case of a newish saw, I use the calculation every 10cm (about 4 inches) per HP.
Give or take a little. Considering you actually use the whole bar.
Some people don't like the bend over and would use a 40" bar like a Bushcutter.
If you use a much longer bar, you'll likely wear out your clutch, or make your piston get hotter than optimal.
But most importantly, the saws oiler is not made to oil such a bar. Sparky bar and heavy chain wear bla bla bla.
If the bar is shorter, you are carrying needless extra weight, and be using more gas.

I like this thinking and can you tell me, how many HP are you thinking for a 20" and how many for a 24-25"?

Back