500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have had a chance to put the 500i through a fair amount of wood at this point. Coming from a 261 I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’ve got a 20” stihl light bar on the 500i and it eats wood for breakfast. Bucked a bunch of 25” oak this week and i couldn’t bog the saw. I know red oak cuts easy and I was still surprised by the power.
I know there’s been a lot of posts on this saw, figured I’d share my experience in case anyone is on the fence.

I’m not a pro. I like this saw. I feel like it’s a great compliment to my 261. I debated the 400 vs 500i for a long time since I only plan to run a 20/25” bar. Fear of missing out I guess.

That is a heck of a saw for a 20" bar, on the 25" red oak did you go up on the bar size?
But you have two of the top saws in your stable for sure.

That is a heck of a saw for a 20" bar, on the 25" red oak did you go up on the bar size?
But you have two of the top saws in your stable for sure.
Would have liked to but am still waiting on a 25 light. It worked good to buck from both sides and a wedge.

Johnsayen…. Just wondering if you’re still pleased with your 500 I… we have a 661 but rarely use it so now considering trading… How does it compare to the 461? Thank you for your thots!

Johnsayen…. Just wondering if you’re still pleased with your 500 I… we have a 661 but rarely use it so now considering trading… How does it compare to the 461? Thank you for your thots!
Well for one thing the 461 vibrates your hands a lot more than the 500I. So that alone sold me on buying one. I don't need carpal tunnel worse than it is already. Also the 500I is very snappy and light weight. Most people love them that I talked too.

261 and the 500i. Best 2 saw plan there ever was. I have yet to even see a 500i. I'd like to run my 461 against one, but not likely in my area.
Don't take this the wrong way, but the 500i is gonna be like a school yard bully to your 461. Its gonna kick its ass, take its lunch money, AND stick its head in the toilet. Ive got both and there is NO comparison between the 2.
Ive already sold one my my 390xps and Im seriously thinking about selling the other one and replacing it with another 500i.

Don't take this the wrong way, but the 500i is gonna be like a school yard bully to your 461. Its gonna kick its ass, take its lunch money, AND stick its head in the toilet. Ive got both and there is NO comparison between the 2.
Ive already sold one my my 390xps and Im seriously thinking about selling the other one and replacing it with another 500i.
I think he bought a 500i?

Yeah, I never considered keeping the 461 around when I found the 500i for sale. Redundant, and I needed to sell the 461 to help cover the cost of the 500i.

Have had a chance to put the 500i through a fair amount of wood at this point. Coming from a 261 I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’ve got a 20” stihl light bar on the 500i and it eats wood for breakfast. Bucked a bunch of 25” oak this week and i couldn’t bog the saw. I know red oak cuts easy and I was still surprised by the power.
I know there’s been a lot of posts on this saw, figured I’d share my experience in case anyone is on the fence.

I’m not a pro. I like this saw. I feel like it’s a great compliment to my 261. I debated the 400 vs 500i for a long time since I only plan to run a 20/25” bar. Fear of missing out I guess.
I just picked up a 500i R 28”. What second bar should I get, was thinking 18 or 20… also was thinking a 36 and sell the 28”. Thoughts on what bar and what chain? Home owner who enjoys a good workout helping friend with there projects

I just picked up a 500i R 28”. What second bar should I get, was thinking 18 or 20… also was thinking a 36 and sell the 28”. Thoughts on what bar and what chain? Home owner who enjoys a good workout helping friend with there projects

My opinion, the 28" bar is about perfect for the 500i. Depending on your height and arm length...a 28" doesn't touch the ground for me when I let the saw hang at arms length, but I can cut wood sitting on the ground without bending over.

Unless you're in extremely large wood a LOT, a 36 is just too long for most applications. 18 or 20 would be a waste...use a lighter saw for that kind of work. A 28" bar will cut 20" wood without issue. I don't see a need to have a shorter bar on stand by personally.

If you're in wood big enough to warrant a 36" bar, you need a 661, not a 500i. Again, my opinion. Worth what you paid for it.

My opinion, the 28" bar is about perfect for the 500i. Depending on your height and arm length...a 28" doesn't touch the ground for me when I let the saw hang at arms length, but I can cut wood sitting on the ground without bending over.

Unless you're in extremely large wood a LOT, a 36 is just too long for most applications. 18 or 20 would be a waste...use a lighter saw for that kind of work. A 28" bar will cut 20" wood without issue. I don't see a need to have a shorter bar on stand by personally.

If you're in wood big enough to warrant a 36" bar, you need a 661, not a 500i. Again, my opinion. Worth what you paid for it.
I have a 35x40 dia tree that I wanted to cut sections from it to make a table so wanted the 36 bar for one time use…. I will try the 28, agree with the standing upright…

I have a 35x40 dia tree that I wanted to cut sections from it to make a table so wanted the 36 bar for one time use…. I will try the 28, agree with the standing upright…
Oh, yeah, for periodic use, the 500i will pull a 36 no problem.

I'm not against having one, I just don't think the 500i is the right saw for a guy that needs a 36" bar even 50% of the time.

You're going to enjoy the 500i with a 28. My 462 was my favorite saw...now it hasn't run since I got the 500i.

Oh, yeah, for periodic use, the 500i will pull a 36 no problem.

I'm not against having one, I just don't think the 500i is the right saw for a guy that needs a 36" bar even 50% of the time.

You're going to enjoy the 500i with a 28. My 462 was my favorite saw...now it hasn't run since I got the 500i.
I hope so, my other saw is a 009… so it will be a little more power. :)

Latest posts

Back