firewood saved my life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hade a massive heart attack in june .they said that the only reason I surived was because I was in such good physical shape . I do 20-30 facecord a year and split by hand . I guess I have firewood to thank for being alive .

Glad your still above ground. But there is no way I could split that much by hand. Now I'm not going to get into what kinds of wood splits easier but, 90% of the wood I get will make most hydraulic splitters cringe Ax's and mauls just bounce off. My old 25 ton splitter would simply stop and not split a lot of the wood I get. My 40 ton unit has split everything I have thrown at it and it hardly even whimpers at forked hardwoods, though I have learned how to read the grain and have figured out how to attack gnarly hardwood.
I wouldn't stop doing what I do but I do go at it a little more carefully the older I get.

My dad was one of the first Navy seals before the seals were established. He was underwater demolition and deep sea diver and did a lot of salvage at Pearl Harbor after Japan attacked. He died at 56 from a massive heart attack. Glad your still here.

not forgetting that so is the body! 40' yikes.... I have jumped off 50' diving platform before... so no doubt u gave ur suspension a good run for its money!!

Thats 40' plus 70 MPH. It's incredible how fast the top pros are on 4 wheeled ATV's. The average pro ATV set up is about 25K or more per bike. A set of four shocks runs 3K for 3 shocks minimum . Two in front and one in back. Many use titanium bolts and other parts driving the cost extremely high. Just as an armature I would spend on average 6 or 7 hundred bucks per race weekend. A set of tires cost around 400 bucks and only lasted maybe 2 to 4 race weekends consisting of 2 motos per race, even less if it was a hard pack and blue grooved track. Traction is so important in racing and you can feel the difference in traction going from tires that only had a few races to a new set. The cheapest competitive armature bike runs 10K or more. The pros are sponsored so they get new everything every race. Pro ATV lap times are now faster then pro 2 wheeled motocross on almost every track and the dirt bikers hate that. lol
A good shock set up can make even huge landings seem like nothing, soaking up the landing like a cat on all fours. It's a lot of fun though. I don't race anymore but I still go to races and usually get recruited into some kind of job at the track, like starting gate official, flagger, finish line flagger, or pulling bikes off the track when they break or crash and towing them to the pits or tech inspection and even driving the water truck. It's always something. The people are great people fron all over and from all backgrounds. It's a very family friendly sport, with riders as young as 6 to 60 years old. There is a class for every age group. I have been to races where there were over 1000 riders at a single event. We even get TV coverage at the national events and even some local ones as well. I'm still involved almost as much as when I raced. Let me tell ya, hearing 30 pro bikes leave the gate sounds like a 747 taking off. It's pretty cool to watch the bikes fly over huge jumps all seemingly in formation one after the other. It's even more fun running in the pack. Scary but fun none the less.
Get on you tube and check them out. Search for ATV 24/7 or The Ride ATV racing or Rip it up films. You even get good go pro footage from the pro riders. Or better yet, go see a race in person. You wont be disappointed and all are welcome.

Here is some links to get you started. Enjoy!

My dad was one of the first Navy seals before the seals were established. He was underwater demolition and deep sea diver and did a lot of salvage at Pearl Harbor after Japan attacked. He died at 56 from a massive heart attack. Glad your still here.

The Underwater Demolition Teams (UDT) were a special-purpose force established by the United States Navy during World War II. They came to be considered more elite and tactical during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. Their primary WWII function began with the reconnaissance and removal of natural or man-made obstacles on beaches prior to amphibious landings. They later were assigned to assist in the recovery of Space capsules/astronauts after splash down in the Mercury and Apollo space flight programs. The United States Navy's Underwater Demolition Teams were pioneers in underwater demolition, closed-circuit diving, combat swimming, and midget submarine (dry and wet submersible) operations. Commando training was added making them the for-runner to the United States Navy SEAL program that exists today.
In 1983, after additional SEAL training, the UDTs were re-designated as SEAL Teams or Swimmer Delivery Vehicle Teams (SDVTs). SDVTs have since been re-designated SEAL Delivery Vehicle Teams.

I knew one of these guys very well. He served most of his time before and during the Korean war. These were some tough cookies!

The Underwater Demolition Teams (UDT) were a special-purpose force established by the United States Navy during World War II. They came to be considered more elite and tactical during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. Their primary WWII function began with the reconnaissance and removal of natural or man-made obstacles on beaches prior to amphibious landings. They later were assigned to assist in the recovery of Space capsules/astronauts after splash down in the Mercury and Apollo space flight programs. The United States Navy's Underwater Demolition Teams were pioneers in underwater demolition, closed-circuit diving, combat swimming, and midget submarine (dry and wet submersible) operations. Commando training was added making them the for-runner to the United States Navy SEAL program that exists today.
In 1983, after additional SEAL training, the UDTs were re-designated as SEAL Teams or Swimmer Delivery Vehicle Teams (SDVTs). SDVTs have since been re-designated SEAL Delivery Vehicle Teams.

I knew one of these guys very well. He served most of his time before and during the Korean war. These were some tough cookies!

Yeah growing up my dad would do things that at the time I didn't realize how much of a bad ass he was, cause to us he was just dad and he never acted like a bad ass. He was a family man through and through and was loved and admired by everyone that got to know him. Here are two examples. When I was six my parents bought some property to build a house on. We had gotten a lot of rain so he couldn't drive to the back of the property to unload some RR ties he used for corner post. He would put one on each shoulder and carry them all the way to the back of the property. Being just six years old I didn't know just how bad ass that was, it was just something I thought all grown men could do. As I got older and looked back it was only then did I realize just how bad ass that was. Growing up he would take us and all our friends to the pool on hot summer days. The pool we went to was an Olympic size pool and he could swim under water from one end to the other and back and never come up for air. Again extremely bad ass but that was just something my dad could do.
He loved to tell jokes and pull pranks on people and scaring the crap out of someone was something he loved to do. He loved to set us kids up and scare the crap out of us. He could hold the attention of everyone in the room with his jokes and stories.

A guy I worked with a while back(he retired) was into all sorts of things. He worked full time, cut grass on the side, did HVAC on the side, and all other types of things. He was in his 60s and was always doing stuff. He still does all that stuff except the full time job. Now he just does more of the stuff he wants to fill that time slot.

He told me 2 years or so before he retired his wife asked him when he was gonna stop. He said he told her he’s not stopping until he can’t do it anymore cause if he stops now he would be done for, that you can only keep doing things if you keep doing it.

The guy moved around just about as well as me and I was half his age.

Back