Fiskars X27 vs Husqvarna S2800

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well fellas, I finally ran these head to head. Long term members know how endeared I am to the Fiskars line so this may surprise some.

The S2800 simply has more mass and is a more effective tool. One round I bounced the Fiskars off four times without as much as a crack. The Husky split it completely in two hits. However the Husky tool is still light enough to swing consistently and not tire out like you would swinging a traditional maul.

With that being said you really need to watch your stance as you can take it in the knee or foot pretty easily with the shorter 27" handle on the Husky. Especially if you are splitting on a raised block.

These retail for $100 but @spike60 has them in his shop for $70. That's a little more than a Fiskars but very much worth the money IMO.

I have a couple wooden husky axes,how do you like the plastic vetsion ?

Why anyone would hand split vs, hydraulics never ceases to amaze me, come on....18th century. :laugh:
There is a lot of different situations when cutting firewood. In a majority of my situations a hydraulic splitter requires more effort getting it to the wood and getting the wood to it then just standing it up and cracking it open making it small enough at the spot to toss it some distance on the truck or trailer saving walking thousands of steps with hundreds of pieces of weighty wood to load it out and or get it to the splitter. With a lot of twisted grain or knotty wood might rather still get it to the splitter but more times then not most of the wood splits easy enough with a Fiskars or heavy maul and what doesn't is easier for me to noodle to size on the spot with a well maintained appropriate size chainsaw which serves double purpose in this case and saves wrestling with, maintaining the splitter and handling big rounds. Hand splitting straight grained wood on flat ground in frozen conditions isn't very hard, neither is noodling with a well maintained chainsaw. Granted working with more then 1 person you can utilize a splitter and loader and save a lot of effort and be efficient with your hydraulic equipment in different situations, and I have done and do at times, but its not for every body all the time. I think a larger % of firewood cutters are mostly trying to save some money using wood heat. I usually just go out to the woods with a pick up or tractor and trailer with chainsaws and a Fiskars and come back with a load of split wood with some small rounds and it goes in either a pile for sale later, or i deliver it direct or to my porch for my own use .

I actually really like to hand split provided the wood isn't something difficult like elm, knotty pine, etc. I usually do smaller volumes (1/2-1 cord) at a sitting which is enough to make it accumulate quickly but I can split it all in one session by hand.

With that being said if I find a reasonably priced splitter it will be mine.

Id rather use a maul than a hydro splitter in a majority of the maple, oak and ash I split. Its faster and more productive than most hydro unit esp. when a piece only required to be split 2-3 times.

Once you use a mechanical splitter you will wonder how anyone still uses a hydro unit.

Come spring or very late winter when I get a new load of logs I might ask if I can borrow your splitting axe. One thing I wish the Fiskars had was more mass, just another pound or pound and half.

I went to my daughter and son in law to work up some seasoned white oak. They had their brand new TSC splitter and to be honest they were quite new at it too. I started splitting with the Fiskars and was almost three rounds to their one. They outlasted me in endurance, but were impressed with how fast the Fiskars was. I'm sure they'll have a new one one next time I help.

Well fellas, I finally ran these head to head. Long term members know how endeared I am to the Fiskars line so this may surprise some.

The S2800 simply has more mass and is a more effective tool. One round I bounced the Fiskars off four times without as much as a crack. The Husky split it completely in two hits. However the Husky tool is still light enough to swing consistently and not tire out like you would swinging a traditional maul.

With that being said you really need to watch your stance as you can take it in the knee or foot pretty easily with the shorter 27" handle on the Husky. Especially if you are splitting on a raised block.

These retail for $100 but @spike60 has them in his shop for $70. That's a little more than a Fiskars but very much worth the money IMO.
My local shop has the S2800 and I picked it up and really looked it over. I was tempted but decided against it based on length. I was really surprised at how short it really is! To me that seems like a major design flaw. I would love to try one but not willing to plunk down the coin just to see!

Back