Husqvarna S2800 Splitting Axe-First Impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally made it to the woods with the new S2800. Granted I only have a few dozen swings through it but wanted to post up my first impressions.

Significantly shorter handle.
image.jpg image.jpg

But sports a much larger head with a more aggressive flare.
image.jpg

I didn't really notice that the handle felt short when handling it. With the shorter handle it seemed to be easier to get a speedy swing and also more accurate.

Now keep in mind I was splitting a 16" aspen which except for the knotty sections isn't much a challenge. But this seems to split through with more authority than the fiskars and puts the splits out to the side more due to the aggressive flare.

I swung to resplit a halved round with a swing that would have been "just enough" with the Fiskars. Blew right through the wood and into a rock. Oh well, it's not a show piece.
image.jpg

In summary I need to split more wood to say it's performance is unequivocally "better" than the X27. But it is sure looking that way at this point.

I'm using the Husqvarna splitting axe this past year for 14-16" birch and fir that won't fit on the Klappi Kone cone splitter on our firewood log saw. It's definitely better than the Fiskars.

Not a popular statement, praising the Swedish axe over the Finnish axe, in Finland, but it's the truth. I wouldn't waste my money on the Fiskars. Junk by comparison.

If my price check was correct on Amazon I will be sticking with my Fiskars.
Check with some real dealers and you may be surprised at the price. Well worth it over the $45 fiskars.

Check with some real dealers and you may be surprised at the price. Well worth it over the $45 fiskars.
@spike60 has them in his shop for $70. Had I known that I would have picked one up there versus ordering from Baileys.

But if it works as well in other species I would agree it's worth the extra ~40 bucks.

@spike60 has them in his shop for $70. Had I known that I would have picked one up there versus ordering from Baileys.
Yep. I got mine from TK since he had one in stock when I asked him. Close to the same price. I can't remember for sure.

What's the warrantee on the Husky?

I'll be waiting for the follow up when you get into some real hardwood 24" rounds. I wouldn't bet the farm just yet.

Latest posts

Back