Husqvarna S2800 Splitting Axe-First Impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be an error on Amazon's part. Identical other than price point. Think it said 10 year warranty on the Gardena.

@spike60 has them in his shop for $70. Had I known that I would have picked one up there versus ordering from Baileys.

But if it works as well in other species I would agree it's worth the extra ~40 bucks.

I was just going to ask where you got it.

I am seriously contemplating this now. Unfortunately my testing ground of red oak will be gone this weekend hopefully.

I am giggling thinking about the speed that I can get out this.

ETA - I just pm'd Spike. So hopefully I'm in.:D

Thanks for the review guys, and the link from Scrounging (did not know this was here).

Head design looks nice, but I'm 6'1", so until/unless they extend the handle, I'm very pleased with the Fiskars.

Plus, I got the hydro earlier this year, so most of my work with the Fiskars is on the Ash up at my property, and that stuff practically splits as soon as the Fiskars touches it. Hard to imagine "better" than what already works so well. Plus, I'm sure I get a lot of head speed from the longer handle.

But keep me posted if they produce it with a longer handle, I would definitely give Spike a call.

Thanks for the review guys, and the link from Scrounging (did not know this was here).

Head design looks nice, but I'm 6'1", so until/unless they extend the handle, I'm very pleased with the Fiskars.

Plus, I got the hydro earlier this year, so most of my work with the Fiskars is on the Ash up at my property, and that stuff practically splits as soon as the Fiskars touches it. Hard to imagine "better" than what already works so well. Plus, I'm sure I get a lot of head speed from the longer handle.

But keep me posted if they produce it with a longer handle, I would definitely give Spike a call.
Maybe it would be a good Christmas gift for Matt ;)

I'm with the rest of the big fellers. The handle looks a little short for my 6'4" frame. BUT! Would have to get it in my hands. The metallurgy is what gets me though. For 70 or 80 bucks, I'll keep pinching my pennies for a Gransfors Bruks.

That's fine. The edge on my X27 has been rolling right over. Have heard nothing but stellar reviews on the GB metallurgy and would love to own a tool that my son would be proud to have handed down to him.

you can fix your x27 if you file back the edge a little. I convexed mine and never had issues again.
With that said I still love my GB's because for me it's just more satisfying using a quality tool.

Maybe it would be a good Christmas gift for Matt ;)

Even at only 5'10'' I like the long handle for two things, speed and not hitting my legs. I love the design of that head, if they get a longer handle on them Im deff. gonna have to visit Bob. My wife and kids love hiking around the reservoir near his place and I love spending money in his shop.

Well I traded off back to back with the S2800 and X27 in some twisty, knotty red oak today and I'll declare a winner. The S2800 just plain opens the wood up with more authority. I'm not saying throw your Fiskars in the garbage. But if you have an extra $70 bucks (price at @spike60 's shop) or $100 retail OR haven't bought a Fiskars yet, get this one instead.

The shorter handle takes some getting used to (which I'm still not totally used to) but this tool flat out performs better.

Well I traded off back to back with the S2800 and X27 in some twisty, knotty red oak today and I'll declare a winner. The S2800 just plain opens the wood up with more authority. I'm not saying throw your Fiskars in the garbage. But if you have an extra $70 bucks (price at @spike60 's shop) or $100 retail OR haven't bought a Fiskars yet, get this one instead.

The shorter handle takes some getting used to (which I'm still not totally used to) but this tool flat out performs better.

sounds great! Now your mission is to talk husky into making a 36" handle version. I'll sign a petition to get on a mailing list.

I probably wont ever consider them without a lifetime warrantee. Especially since they are approaching the cost of those fancy German made mauls. I'd but a heavy over process German maul over the Husky axe first. Just my take.

I probably wont ever consider them without a lifetime warrantee. Especially since they are approaching the cost of those fancy German made mauls. I'd but a heavy over process German maul over the Husky axe first. Just my take.
Honestly if it doesn't break in the first ten years it's probably not going to break.

One other thing I noticed was that in that knotty hardwood I did feel a little vibration in the Fiskars handle. Not bad, but definitely there.

10 years will be a good test for sure however, polymers do funny things with age so I'd rather be assured at year ten that my asset is still under warrantee.

sounds great! Now your mission is to talk husky into making a 36" handle version. I'll sign a petition to get on a mailing list.

I've emailed them zog.

Gardena said no plans and husqvarna was no help.

Trying to find a contact us email addy for husqvarna USA is dang near impossible. I wound up contacting the the Australia branch, how I have no clue. Got the run around then re-directed. They want you to ask your dealer. Yeah that's not happening with my local dealer.

I'd be all for signing a petition for a 36" model.

I've emailed them zog.

Gardena said no plans and husqvarna was no help.

Trying to find a contact us email addy for husqvarna USA is dang near impossible. I wound up contacting the the Australia branch, how I have no clue. Got the run around then re-directed. They want you to ask your dealer. Yeah that's not happening with my local dealer.

I'd be all for signing a petition for a 36" model.
Isn't there an online petition hosting site? Fire it up!

Latest posts

Back