Husqvarna S2800 Splitting Axe-First Impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging by the damage from the over strike I'd say yes.

What were your thoughts on the length difference?

That's my only hangup, is me being closer to the pointy end. Not that if it will work as well as the Fiskars, because it will and probably better.

I am half tempted to order this thing. The red oak pile I'm working in would be a good break in.

ETA - I just emailed Husqvarna about a longer one in the future. We will see what they have to say

I waited for the X27 for the length, if I miss the round and chopping block, I want that head in the ground or steel toes, not my shins!
Take a short axe, clock it down the way it will go with a glancing blow or plain miss. That is some sharp steel moving fast! It will bite.

I waited for the X27 for the length, if I miss the round and chopping block, I want that head in the ground or steel toes, not my shins!
Take a short axe, clock it down the way it will go with a glancing blow or plain miss. That is some sharp steel moving fast! It will bite.
I know. That's my concern.

SVK, have you used an X25 to compare those two, them both being about the same length and all. May be a more apples to apples comparison. I'd love to have one, but then that is how I feel about most tools with a blade!!!!!:surprised3:
YES, I have a problem.
I have thought about picking up a X25 but I wanted to compare the "heavy hitters" from both of these brand's offerings therefore the S2800 should (and does) compete with the X27.

What were your thoughts on the length difference?

That's my only hangup, is me being closer to the pointy end. Not that if it will work as well as the Fiskars, because it will and probably better.

I am half tempted to order this thing. The red oak pile I'm working in would be a good break in.

ETA - I just emailed Husqvarna about a longer one in the future. We will see what they have to say
Length not noticeable when swinging. As I mentioned in my first post it almost seems you can get more speed so combined with the heavier head I would say that is the reason for it's good performance.

When I had "blow-throughs" on rounds being split on the ground, the axe head impacted the ground approximately at the point where the round was closest to me. I can see if you were splitting on a block and missed the block you could end up with the head in the ground between your legs. If you were splitting on a block with a tire attached, the tire would catch the head for you.

Well that's great , just great , now I've got another mousetrap that I have to go and buy :(

Just kidding LOL
I have an x25 , I like the length , as with the S2800 you split in a straight down motion , not a circular motion so glancing blows go straight down , not towards you .
I'd like a little more weight but I do like the idea of the wider flare .
I have a friend with an x27 , I should borrow it to see what it's like but I have 4 other mauls in the same length but at 6lbs and 8lbs so I'm grabbing them for the weight .
I guess the s2800 will be on the list after the Husqvarna splitting maul and the GB splitting maul LOL

i have a couple x27 and a x25. i like them a lot but maybe i need to try this husky axe. i really like the length of the x27 though. the x25 is and feels much shorter but nothing you cant adjust to.

i figure i split most of my wood by hand so i dont mind spending a bit to try new possibly better tools. i cant afford the $100+ counterparts but anything under that ill give a shot.

I checked out a new x27 in the shop the other day and it isn't near as sharp brand new as the original super splitter, not even close.

I'll have to wait on another new axe though, just dropped a wad on junker saws (three work fine now, a 359 and 42 husky, and one poulan) and trimmers, plus doing this big oak is costly, many new loops, got to get a bar rail closer tool now, and this weekend found out my 371 broke a clutch spring and that trashed the plastic oiler gear thingee, ordered those.

Wood heat is not free! heh, waiting to hear back from a dude with a low miles engine for the bogger mkII..wood heat is not free! HAHAHAHAHA

Short handled axes are no less safe than long ones. They require a different technique when using. You should bend your knees when swinging so the axe never breaks the horizontal plane as you swing down. If you do this then you will not have to worry about missing your block and hitting your body.

yep, at 6'6'' i want the long handles as well. Swing and miss and that sucker would take out my knee and or shin:cry:
You need to make your own wood splitter. Good regular maul head, at your size an 8lb is good, reshape and sharpen, hang it from around a 40 to 48 inch handle. I have no idea where to get a 4 foot handle, perhaps it can be made by a good wood worker.

You know, there's a niche market there, same as for clothes, hand tools for big guys.

You need to make your own wood splitter. Good regular maul head, at your size an 8lb is good, reshape and sharpen, hang it from around a 40 to 48 inch handle. I have no idea where to get a 4 foot handle, perhaps it can be made by a good wood worker.

You know, there's a niche market there, same as for clothes, hand tools for big guys.

I like the 35'' handle on my Mueller over the 31'' on my Wetterlings. I bought several vintage Hultafors and Gransfors heads off of Ebay- they are all getting 36'' handles. When I split with my Iron and Oak splitter I pull it up on 2 car ramps and put a block under the tongue jack.:rock:

The Gardena is very similar to the
S2800 in style but is 28" compared to the S2800 24"
Price is high on the Gardena at $117 on Amazon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-10-13-11-59_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-10-13-11-59_1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 40
The Gardena is very similar to the
S2800 in style but is 28" compared to the S2800 24"
Price is high on the Gardena at $117 on Amazon.
It's identical except for color....I think that is an error on Amazon that says the Husky S2800 has a 24" handle

Edit: Baileys says that the Husky has a 27" handle. Still pretty sure they are identical.

Back