How To Remove Aluminum Transfer Without Acid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on a husqvarna 2100 cylinder that I'm going to be putting back on the saw with a new oem piston and new rings.
Here's a before pic of the transfer on the cylinder. Hit it mostly by hand with 150, 320 emery cloth and red scotch brite pad and then with a dremel and the same stuff.

20150714_205201.jpg

Here is after I got done. There are still a couple tiny spots that you can barely see, soooo good to run like this or keep on givin er and try and get the tiny spots out?

20150715_000634.jpg

On certain spots (when you are sure it's transfer) that are close to the port edge, and being stubborn, I use a small diamond burr. That way I can just hit that one spot without worrying about sanding thru at the port edge.

Thanks, I'm not sure it's actually transfer, everything feels really smooth.

Looks like minor pitting to me, too. You could use a crayon or soft grease pencil to mark over the spots and then gently wipe with a paper towel to see if anything remains. If it all wipes away except at the spot(s) of interest, that''s a pretty good indication it's pitting and not still raised material.

Looks like a nice, clean job, btw.

Looks like minor pitting to me, too. You could use a crayon or soft grease pencil to mark over the spots and then gently wipe with a paper towel to see if anything remains. If it all wipes away except at the spot(s) of interest, that''s a pretty good indication it's pitting and not still raised material.

that right there is a great tip

Great to

Great tip Poge, thanks!

So reading through this whole post, if there is no raised transfer left and you don't go through the plating, the cylinder is good to go. Does anyone have a picture of a cylinder that has gone through the plating, just wondering what that looks like.

I'd say you're good to go and I'd run it without a worry based on your pics.

No pic to offer, but compromised plating is fairly obvious and appears as flaking (or being eaten away by careless acid treatment). Gouges are another thing and chips around the ports are yet another consideration. The little pits in your pics wouldn't concern me at all.

Ya did good.

I'd say you're good to go and I'd run it without a worry based on your pics.

No pic to offer, but compromised plating is fairly obvious and appears as flaking (or being eaten away by careless acid treatment). Gouges are another thing and chips around the ports are yet another consideration. The little pits in your pics wouldn't concern me at all.

Ya did good.

Thanks Poge, just curious more than anything, haven't seen compromised plating and wondered what it looked like.

Great info Randy thanks for sharing with us all, I do have a question and if it has been asked I guess I missed it. How did you cut the slot in The spike for the Emory cloth to fit into? I was thinking Dremel but wont know till I try it,.. wondering if the slot would be too lose for the cloth using a Dremel to make the slot. Thanks Jeff

Great info Randy thanks for sharing with us all, I do have a question and if it has been asked I guess I missed it. How did you cut the slot in The spike for the Emory cloth to fit into? I was thinking Dremel but wont know till I try it,.. wondering if the slot would be too lose for the cloth using a Dremel to make the slot. Thanks Jeff

He said he used a hack saw but I'm sure you could use a Dremel.

Back