How To Remove Aluminum Transfer Without Acid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read this post last night and it was great.
I just wanted to share with some of you that were asking about making the mandrels and how to do it.
I work in a Fab shop that builds excavator buckets and attachments and we make a lot of these for cleaning out the bores after welding and paint. what we use is a "split rollpin" and weld it to the shaft of old stone wheels. We always save the old stones after they are to small to use and take a hammer smash it, clean it up and get a rollpin the size that you need and weld it on. if you don't have a welder and you can find the right size rollpin you could just pound it on and should be good to go.

This is me loading one of the buckets we built this summer.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 125
This what I am talking about.
Not very pretty but it works.
4cdd3fcabf408a1dea05b8f212f689fa.jpg

I just read this post last night and it was great.
I just wanted to share with some of you that were asking about making the mandrels and how to do it.
I work in a Fab shop that builds excavator buckets and attachments and we make a lot of these for cleaning out the bores after welding and paint. what we use is a "split rollpin" and weld it to the shaft of old stone wheels. We always save the old stones after they are to small to use and take a hammer smash it, clean it up and get a rollpin the size that you need and weld it on. if you don't have a welder and you can find the right size rollpin you could just pound it on and should be good to go.

This is me loading one of the buckets we built this summer.

That is a real nice looking excavator bucket.
After welding one of those up you would have to turn the heat down to weld that roll pin. ( haha )

Do you always put your fingers out when holding the tool?

Got some good music going too, just need a glass of tea to top it off.

Another fine video production Mr. Randy!!

How do I get one of those split mandrels and that Wigglesworth thingy?
Hack saw and a steel rod!

GOODNESS Man;
You've got more tools than a dentist. Tells me that you are not a newbie. Thanks for sharing this with us. Mind telling us more about how you acquired these precision tools on ur bench? We're envious-LOL
regards,
JohnL

GOODNESS Man;
You've got more tools than a dentist. Tells me that you are not a newbie. Thanks for sharing this with us. Mind telling us more about how you acquired these precision tools on ur bench? We're envious-LOL
regards,
JohnL

If you are a coffee drinker, then I'd say to brew a large pot and pull up your favorite web searcher and type in something like " arboristsite: mastermind meets "
That should get you some results along the lines of these.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mastermind-meets-the-562xp.191622/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mastermind-meets-the-jonsered-2095.197578/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mastermind-meets-the-stihl-088.222188/page-2

and Sometimes it just sets off the crowd.....
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mastermind-meets-the.197673/

There are other folks building and modding things here
and some appear to be building some very stout runners.

But getting some decent photos and the right choice of words
to describe what you've done, can be as much of a skill as the saw work itself.

Some guys threads will stay pretty much on the point and for some folks that may seem a bit dry to read.
So you can easily miss them and the details that may be that magic tweak that your hunting for.
Peoples use of localized jargon, abbreviations and misspellings (me included)
can make it a real bear to search for things on occasion.

But i'm just rambling and haven't added anything here, so...

if you ever begin to get tired of the reading and searching?
Just remind yourself of the efforts these folks put into learning it
and then the additional task of coming back to post it for us.

I did this today too. I got all the transfer off. However, I managed to sand through the plating around the exhaust port trying to remove some trouble area. Its not a lot but enough to make me question it. Is this going to be a problem if I put a new piston in it?

575XP Piston.jpg rattler362 was kind enough to direct me here... this cyl is going to be my first major "transfer" project...

How do you make sure you don't hit the edges of the exhaust port with the sandpaper? Sorry if that is a stupid question, never done this before.

So I'm having a tough time getting the last couple little spots of transfer which you can see one just below the exhaust port.
It's really smooth and you can't feel the spot, so is it still necessary to get it completely off?
20150110_003330.jpg
Here was the before.
20150105_213644.jpg

So I'm having a tough time getting the last couple little spots of transfer which you can see one just below the exhaust port.
It's really smooth and you can't feel the spot, so is it still necessary to get it completely off?
View attachment 393295
Here was the before.
View attachment 393296
How again did u get the largest amount off? That looks about 100% better

Here's a pic after I just stopped. You can still see very small deposits but they are really smooth and don't seem to be getting any smaller anymore.

20150110_004936.jpg

View attachment 393295
Here was the before.
View attachment 393296
How again did u get the largest amount of
Thanks. 180 grit mostly on a piece of wooden dowel, then some 320 grit the same way and finally some red scotch brite pad by hand also.
Here's a pic after I just stopped. You can still see very small deposits but they are really smooth and don't seem to be getting any smaller anymore.

View attachment 393297
r u gonna flex hone or just the scotch brite to put the finishing touch on it?

Just scotch brite, do I need to do something else? I thought that was the last thing done in the videos on the original post. I could be wrong though. This is my first attempt at this.

Latest posts

Back