How's your wood pile holding out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holtby

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Mine is holding out pretty fair since that "polar vortex thingy" didn't hang out in NE KS too long? I haven't bought any propane in over 2 yrs. or since I retired from local steel foundry. I've been getting by with just 1 3/4 to just over 2 cords per heating season in these past few seasons. Maybe I'm part polar bear (no wife or kids home helps that). Anyways thanks for any thoughts.

Mine is holding out pretty fair since that "polar vortex thingy" didn't hang out in NE KS too long? I haven't bought any propane in over 2 yrs. or since I retired from local steel foundry. I've been getting by with just 1 3/4 to just over 2 cords per heating season in these past few seasons. Maybe I'm part polar bear (no wife or kids home helps that). Anyways thanks for any thoughts.
You must be in southern KS. Here in eastern central NE the month of Dec was hard on the wood pile but I usally burn 9 to 12 cords a year to heat the house and the shop.

It must be my polar bear thing, but I did go thru some wood there for awhile (lots of trips to wood shed). It doesn't sound like North East KS...1 3/4-2+cords for whole season does it????

My token mixed bag three cord stack that I cut with the oregon battery saw will be out I guess sometime in February. I still have a cord of two-three year old mixed oak and hickory, 3 cords of two year old pure oak,one cord 1 year old hickory, three cords one year old oak, 3 cords one year old mixed bag, another 3 cord stack of one year old mixed bag, two and a half cords of pine, a cord and a half of ash that isn't split but can burn now fine, tried it, then a buncha stacked up oak that ain't split, proly 2.5 cords, then took down a standing dead stub today, proly at least near a cord in it minus the rot..hmmm another two cords of oak cut not split laying on the ground down to the swamp...oh ya, a single cord of mixed bag, one year old. almost forgot that stack.

..shoot got more than a i thought once I start adding it all up together. Not all ready to burn now of course. ain't sweeating it none though.

My goal is stay current, add to it, eventually I think i can fit around fifty cord in my second stacking area.

I will think what to do then.

I like cutting too much to not cut, so...I dunno, still a ways to go to hit fifty though. Mud makes cutting and hauling too much of a pain to do a lot in the winter when i want to do it.

It's taken a beating, but it's manageable. Had a little extra ready for this winter for some reason......... Only seen one -20F night so far this year. It's bound to get colder later this month.

Last edited:
Same here - 5 cord already and it's only middle of Jan. Reminds me of the old days when it never got out of the single numbers for weeks on end, -20 to -30 every night. Made a serious enough dent in the wood pile to start bringing in next years wood. 15 cord stacked and waiting for this very reason. You can never have too much.

I've read several new forecasts tonight even the European ones are saying it ..It's supposed to be coming backwith avengence too. Even colder than the one we had just got over the highs below zero
You got about a week to get some wood cuz if the models are correct like they have been showing January Is definitely going to go out with a bang .. I find The most interesting part about all this is how accurate the farmers almanac has been so far . They were calling all this out specifically way back in October . That method they use must have some validity to it despite meteorologists shrugging it off as rubbish. I knew it was going to be cold because our deer were out roaming early before their rut for food and had gotten fat to bulk up , God put something biologically in them because animals just seem to know what's going down

Last edited:
I threw the rest of what I have in the basement last weekend. That included a load of slabwood that I picked up a few weeks back in case I ran low. The way things are going this year that will probably get me through the 1st week in Feb. Think I am gonna have to make another trip down the road to the Amish sawmill for another bundle of slabwood. Good thing he is cheap.

I'm still burning through leftovers from previous years wood, and some red elm that does get burned the following year every year. I'm just getting through leftovers from 2 years ago wood supply. The last couple of years wood usage was way down but I tried to maintain harvest rate. I do need to get out in the woods and get some more harvested for future use.

Since I had kept track from the very start at this home how much wood I burn a winter I have way more that enough. I had averaged out over 5 years I burnt 14 4'x8'x18". So I make sure to have those 14 stacks and usually stop when I am at 20 stacks. The new ad on furnace I am using for the first time this year seems way more frugal on the amount of wood it takes to keep the house at a temp I and the wife are happy with. I'm betting I'll burn less than the 14 stacks average this year even though it has been the coldest here I have ever recorded in my weather journal by a bunch. we have had late December weather in November, late January weather all of December and so far in January.

:D Al

I have made a serious dent in my pile on the porch. I should be fine until April. Then I will have to start taking from nexts years wood.

I let mine get too low this year. I like to have at least 3 cords seasoned and ready to burn every year but I let my hardwood pile get down to 1 1/2 cord and had 1/2 a cord of pine and 1/2 a cord of apple and plum that was starting to rot. I have already burned the 2 good cords and am working on the 1/2 cord of rotten stuff now. Looks like I might make it thru winter without cracking into stuff I cut this year. I could have made it last a bit longer if I would not have had the issues with my stove that I had this year.

my pile is holding up pretty good. I have about 5 left weeks at current pace before I have to dip into my reserves out back. My reserves are wood allocated for a shortage/ start of next years wood. I am about 3 years ahead on wood, so Im really not sweating it

Jeff

Back