How's Your Wood Pile Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many cords will you burn this winter?

• Total voters
Been busy last two weeks....a farmer friend asked if I still burned wood as he had 2 oaks that had been down for a couple years. I said HELL YES!!! Went out to his place to have a look; a little punk on the outside but still good solid oak (one red one white) about 2 1/2 cords total. Got the last load home today (in pictures)...some bucking and splitting to do but should be done by Wednesday. Got down to 1/2 cord left after last winter...starting to get caught up for 14/15 .... now gotta start in on 15/16. Wood on pallets is a mix of red elm, hedge, mulberry, oak, silver maple, stink wood/box elder (for the shop), cottonwood and pine/spruce (about 8 cords total c/s/s/).
load of oak 001.jpg load of oak 004.jpg load of oak 005.jpg load of oak 007.jpg load of oak 008.jpg load of oak 009.jpg

Been busy last two weeks....a farmer friend asked if I still burned wood as he had 2 oaks that had been down for a couple years. I said HELL YES!!! Went out to his place to have a look; a little punk on the outside but still good solid oak (one red one white) about 2 1/2 cords total. Got the last load home today (in pictures)...some bucking and splitting to do but should be done by Wednesday. Got down to 1/2 cord left after last winter...starting to get caught up for 14/15 .... now gotta start in on 15/16. Wood on pallets is a mix of red elm, hedge, mulberry, oak, silver maple, stink wood/box elder (for the shop), cottonwood and pine/spruce (about 8 cords total c/s/s/).
View attachment 365842 View attachment 365844 View attachment 365846 View attachment 365847 View attachment 365849 View attachment 365850
Do you have any live red elm in your area? All is gone here in NE Nebraska. I like the rig in your avatar. Yours?

Rig belongs to my cousin in Idaho...we restored/rebuilt it in the 80's. The red elm came from a farmer who put 280 acres of CRP back into production. It was living when he took lt down - none bigger thab 13" dbh.

I stacked this yesterday, Fingers are sore! 42ft long. I counted I have 215 ft of stacked wood 4ft high. I have a lot more to stack but I ran out of things to stack it on! I don't like buying wood to stack on. I been cutting small pine trees to stack on. It's been a good year in Arkansas for firewood. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 79
I stacked this yesterday, Fingers are sore! 42ft long. I counted I have 215 ft of stacked wood 4ft high. I have a lot more to stack but I ran out of things to stack it on! I don't like buying wood to stack on. I been cutting small pine trees to stack on. It's been a good year in Arkansas for firewood. Thanks

Assuming 16" average lengths, that's about 9 cords. That's a lot by my standards, but how much do you typically go through in a year?

Nice looking wood there too! What is it?

I have a bunch of dry red elm to get cut and stacked but I have 7+ cords ready to go! Working on a wood shed right now because I'm sick of tarping.

Attachments

• 20140901_105911.jpg
    20140901_105911.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 63
Getting close to haveing this 10 cord row complete. Hurrican aruther has provided me with almost 16 cords this year so far and i still have multiple areas and customers to cut for yet

Attachments

• 2014-08-31 10.00.48.jpg
    2014-08-31 10.00.48.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 69
Northern BC. We had first frost Aug 21st.

Last winter we had -38 for 3 seperate weeks. Usialy December to febuary we are highs of -15. Lows around -25.

-40 you run threw a lot of wood.

6cf5f1eddd6b9b43e346cab297fd4d76.jpg

Red and white oak 15%-22% moister as of today. Dropped trees, cut, split, stacked April 25th.

I use a home made solar kiln, so far I've been pretty happy with it. I use 6mil plastic and the one thing i love about using it keeps the color in the wood. Only the end pieces that the sun directly hit get grey. I also have a great spot for sun from early morning to sunset so that helps alot.

I use a home made solar kiln, so far I've been pretty happy with it. I use 6mil plastic and the one thing i love about using it keeps the color in the wood. Only the end pieces that the sun directly hit get grey. I also have a great spot for sun from early morning to sunset so that helps alot.
Would you mind sharing more about the kiln?

I've been reading alot about how they are made and how they are supposed to work. I think more people arnt trying it because you don't know the results of what you did for months. Anyway, i didn't have a master drawn out idea behind this and I'm still tweaking it but like i said you don't know if you're doing something good or really bad for a couple months. Alls I did was

loosely stack the wood on skids alternating direction each row, next I kept it square until about 4' high. Then, i placed some on top to give it a little peak in the middle. Finally, got 6 mil plastic from one end to the other and had it up about one foot off the bottom. Folded the ends like a Christmas gift and walked away for 4 months. August 1st I pull the sides up and just have the top covered. Today i got 20% on median size and 24% on my big all nighters.
0d7144001bf483d9ea653021dfc0f32d.jpg

Back