How's Your Wood Pile Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many cords will you burn this winter?

• Total voters
Man, don't recall if I posted pics or not for this year..oh well..

For this winter I have this long mixed bag pile, just paced it out to do the math, about 500 cubic feet, a scosh more, (used to be six feet high, now only five, been sitting close to three years) then the smaller pile is my mid winter polar vortex stash, about 1 1/4 cord, ash splits and oddball oak chunks, still adding to it with dry uglies. Also have a decent supply of pine crotches and assorted whatnots to hit, before even looking at any of the primo or upcoming winters wood.

Attachments

• IMG_20140924_184835.jpg
    IMG_20140924_184835.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20140924_184954.jpg
    IMG_20140924_184954.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 93
Here's my first flammable igloo, isn't that what Holzhauzen means in German??
DSC01540.JPG
Didn't have the best shingles to use on top but it might help keep some of the rain out of the middle. Still have a pile to stack up and my little one wants me to make a hollow one to play in too!

I didn't find it to take any longer than stacking regular especially since I did this right next to the pile instead of loading a wheelbarrow and moving it.

I'm starting on next years firewood. I will split and stack when I'm bored this winter.

I wish I could split and stack during the winter. I want to create one of these Holzhauzen log stacks. I've enough time to clean the property and create a big burn pile, then the snow will be here, and I'll go into hibernation.

Last November, I bought a 1986 F-150 300L6 with a 4 speed with granny low. I then spent $700 on a splitter. All of this wood is free. Really free. I already took other jobs that I have done with the truck and subtracted then from the $2K I have in the truck. If you rent a splitter it is $50.00 for 4 hours. SO the $700 bucks is already a washout. I have around 5.5 cord CSS ready for the winter. I have a line on some more free stuff. The picture doesn't show how deep the pile goes. It is about 8 feet high and 6 feet deep and about 20 ft long. Plus I have 2 smaller piles as well. I really am telling the oil man to suck it! We started a few fires already on the 40* days, but usually burn from mid October till March-ish...

I also cut a cord for my neighbors on the left of me and 4-5 cord for the neighbor to my right. I also CSS about 5 cord for my mother. Her pile is not even done yet. I had an epic failure on log splitter. The ram completely blew apart!! I got a new ram with much more splitting power!!
wood_zps8d57bd3a.jpg

The new splitter splits sideways!!

Last November, I bought a 1986 F-150 300L6 with a 4 speed with granny low. I then spent $700 on a splitter. All of this wood is free. Really free. I already took other jobs that I have done with the truck and subtracted then from the $2K I have in the truck. If you rent a splitter it is $50.00 for 4 hours. SO the $700 bucks is already a washout. I have around 5.5 cord CSS ready for the winter. I have a line on some more free stuff. The picture doesn't show how deep the pile goes. It is about 8 feet high and 6 feet deep and about 20 ft long. Plus I have 2 smaller piles as well. I really am telling the oil man to suck it! We started a few fires already on the 40* days, but usually burn from mid October till March-ish...

And oil isn't going to get any cheaper. The world will be lucky if we can just stabilize here at these prices. I live up against the Lolo National Forest; 2 million acres of wooded mountains. I think I can stay warm during the winter with about a gallon or two of chainsaw gas and some physical effort on my part during the spring summer months.

I also cut a cord for my neighbors on the left of me and 4-5 cord for the neighbor to my right. I also CSS about 5 cord for my mother. Her pile is not even done yet. I had an epic failure on log splitter. The ram completely blew apart!! I got a new ram with much more splitting power!!

*snort* ;)

Im rather new to the cord measurement. I usally measure mine out in ricks, i dont sell just personal use i am assuming a rick in half a cord, 4x8 or 32 sqf. I have 25 rick seasoned and put in dry storage and another 30 rick seasoning, i burn a mix of hardwoods, i have alot of ash,hackberry,locust,and osage orange...i have already fired the stove twice this year, for the cool nights i got some junk like sycamore and box elder

Back