How's Your Wood Pile Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many cords will you burn this winter?

• Total voters
Im rather new to the cord measurement. I usally measure mine out in ricks, i dont sell just personal use i am assuming a rick in half a cord, 4x8 or 32 sqf. I have 25 rick seasoned and put in dry storage and another 30 rick seasoning, i burn a mix of hardwoods, i have alot of ash,hackberry,locust,and osage orange...i have already fired the stove twice this year, for the cool nights i got some junk like sycamore and box elder

A regular cord is 128 cubic feet, or 4x4x8, any size splits that fit. A rick or face cord or rank is usually, but not always 1/3rd of a cord, but man, it varies widely by region and local custom.

Hi Dave. Prepare to possibly be inundated with explanations of cord measurements.

Short version is by cord is the only official measurement as it's legally defined in many jurisdictions and rick can mean anything a seller wants it to mean, since it's not defined. As Zogger just mentioned, a cord is 128 cubic feet. For home usage, the most common breakdown is 16" lengths stacked four feet high and 24 feet long. You can get 1/2 cords or 1/3 cords commonly in many locations.

Welcome aboard Dave!

I dont think i have ever heard many ppl in my area...indiana ....use cord, i cut my lenght 20" and usally measure my completed stacks and do the math to figure out how many rick i have

Last November, I bought a 1986 F-150 300L6 with a 4 speed with granny low. I then spent $700 on a splitter. All of this wood is free. Really free. I already took other jobs that I have done with the truck and subtracted then from the $2K I have in the truck. If you rent a splitter it is $50.00 for 4 hours. SO the $700 bucks is already a washout. I have around 5.5 cord CSS ready for the winter. I have a line on some more free stuff. The picture doesn't show how deep the pile goes. It is about 8 feet high and 6 feet deep and about 20 ft long. Plus I have 2 smaller piles as well. I really am telling the oil man to suck it! We started a few fires already on the 40* days, but usually burn from mid October till March-ish...

I also cut a cord for my neighbors on the left of me and 4-5 cord for the neighbor to my right. I also CSS about 5 cord for my mother. Her pile is not even done yet. I had an epic failure on log splitter. The ram completely blew apart!! I got a new ram with much more splitting power!!
wood_zps8d57bd3a.jpg

The new splitter splits sideways!!

how about the car? 67 Tempest, LeMans???

Haha, I swear I didn't notice your forum name until I saw this post this morning! Used to have a 67 LeMans and 65 Catalina back in the day.

Here's my old neighbors wood pile. He used to work in an old timey saw mill, running a Cat powered head rig with a manual turn down. Prior to that he rode the carriage turning down, quit a job. But he still thinks wood should end up looking like a board, he's got nothing but time, sorta his hobby.
image.jpg

image.jpg I'm almost done for this year's wood. Been cutting all dead standing ash and some other wood that I'm not able to identify. It's very hard, very dry, splits like a dream so I call it firewood. This is my shoulder season wood and when it gets cold, I burn those long stacks next to the barn. It's mostly black locust with some ash, maple and linden mixed in.
image.jpg My racks next to the house under the overhang. When one rack is empty, I use the tractor and loader to move more down from by the barn. Then i burn the other rack first so its always rotated. Works pretty well. These racks hold about 2/3 of a cord. I always keep 2 or 3 days worth on the hearth next to the stove to drive out as much moisture as possible.

I'm not sure why so many people stack their firewood so tight when it's out in the open. It drys faster when there is some space between the splits.

From everything I have found water exits through the ends....give the ends plenty of Sun and wind and it will dry

I'm not sure why so many people stack their firewood so tight when it's out in the open. It drys faster when there is some space between the splits.

Well..one reason is starting with a tighter stack, as it dries it shrinks and creates spaces. Too loose to start with, the stack could get unstable.

With that said, I stack what I would consider moderate, not too loose or too tight.

I'm not judging. I just hate stacking and spend as little time on it as possible. I've never had a stack fall over and I figure the more air flow the better!

Latest posts

Back