Husky 268 Oil Tank Vent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slang

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Is there some kind of mod kit, or updated vent for a 268 Husky oil tank? This is a 1996 year model, straight 268. After the saw runs for a while, and I sit it down to take a break, it pukes out a big puddle of bar oil. It looks to me, like the leak is coming from the oil tank vent. If my memory is correct, I think that I read an article somewhere that Husqvarna had some issues with the material that the tank vents were made out of during the 1990's 268 era. Does anyone know about this? And if so, what is the cure for it? Man, this thing makes a mess when it's stored for a while. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about the vent itself, but would it help to loosen/remove the oil cap to relieve any pressure in the tank before storing the saw? Ya know... burp it before putting it to bed... :D

I'm not sure about the vent itself, but would it help to loosen/remove the oil cap to relieve any pressure in the tank before storing the saw? Ya know... burp it before putting it to bed... :D

Well, yes. But the problem is that after I run it, and let it sit for a few minutes while I take a break, then crank it up again to run it some more, the whole bottom of the saw is good and soaked with oil. And so are my clothes. And nothing is cracked, or broken.

I found that old post that I was referring to. But, that particular issue was with the fuel thank vent. We just replaced the fuel vent with a new one, new fuel line, new fuel filter, and found an original Tillotson carburetor rebuild kit. We put one of those Chineeze carb kits in this Irish Tillotson, and it sucked fuel into the air cleaner elbow like a vaccum cleaner. Flooded like crazy, until we put the Tillotson kit in it. Now it runs like a new engine, except for the darned oil leaking out of the bar oil vent. I wonder if somebody might have replaced the oil tank cap with something that would just fit, and not the correct cap? Maybe it should have a breather hole in it? I dunno, I'm stumped again.

Thanks for the reply.

The vent is a piece of plasitc tubing with a 'roll pin' partially inserted in one end.
The latest oem vent is a stiff lenth of white nylon like tube. Part # 503668403 (tube + pin).
Last one was around 5 bucks.

Couple things to check.
The tubing hasn't broken off.
The free end of the tubing should be up at the top of the tank near fill cap so its in the 'air' so to speak.
The roll pin end is flush with the case and hasn't been pushed in.
The tubing is a tight fit to the vent hole. The roll pin actually holds the tubing in the vent hole by expanding the tubing.
Sometimes the wrong size tubing or roll pin has been put in. Or tygon flex tubing is used and the free end falls down from top of tank and into oil.

The old vent can be removed by pushing the roll pin/tubing into the tank. And then fishing the piece out with long nose pliers/hemostats or coat hanger. Put a new vent in the free end goes into vent hole first and fed up to area behind fill cap. Press the roll pin/tube carefully into vent hole so roll pins is fush with case surface. Least that works for me. Should be a tight press fit.

I'll try and post up some pics if the upload is working.

The vent is a piece of plasitc tubing with a 'roll pin' partially inserted in one end.
The latest oem vent is a stiff lenth of white nylon like tube. Part # 503668403 (tube + pin).
Last one was around 5 bucks.

Couple things to check.
The tubing hasn't broken off.
The free end of the tubing should be up at the top of the tank near fill cap so its in the 'air' so to speak.
The roll pin end is flush with the case and hasn't been pushed in.
The tubing is a tight fit to the vent hole. The roll pin actually holds the tubing in the vent hole by expanding the tubing.
Sometimes the wrong size tubing or roll pin has been put in. Or tygon flex tubing is used and the free end falls down from top of tank and into oil.

The old vent can be removed by pushing the roll pin/tubing into the tank. And then fishing the piece out with long nose pliers/hemostats or coat hanger. Put a new vent in the free end goes into vent hole first and fed up to area behind fill cap. Press the roll pin/tube carefully into vent hole so roll pins is fush with case surface. Least that works for me. Should be a tight press fit.

I'll try and post up some pics if the upload is working.

I really appreciate the help. We'll check it out, and see what the problem seems to be. Jimmy, PM'd me a good idea also. He replaced all of the o-rings, x-rings, vent hose etc. on his 268 and said that it solved his problem for good. Thanks again.

Might not need all the pics, but in case someone hasn't done this..

Roll pin sticks out of the tube about 0.120"
The bend is headed over and up and back of fill cap

0606141842 (Mobile).jpg

Free end of tube final position turned to 11 o'clock
0606141740a (Mobile).jpg

roll pin end pressed flush with case
0606141844 (Mobile).jpg

roll pin pressed too far in, below
0606141824 (Mobile).jpg

Latest posts

Back