Husqvarna 61 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhfarmer

Reaction score
The more I read the more I get confused. I have a Husky 61 orange top that I am looking to upgrade. I am thinking a P&C but I am not sure what is the best size to go with without a lot of modification. Is the 268XP P&C a simpler mod than the 272? Will my stock carb. bolt up or will I need to replace it? Any advice would be great

The more I read the more I get confused. I have a Husky 61 orange top that I am looking to upgrade. I am thinking a P&C but I am not sure what is the best size to go with without a lot of modification. Is the 268XP P&C a simpler mod than the 272? Will my stock carb. bolt up or will I need to replace it? Any advice would be great

No need for confusion. Rebuild your Husqvarna 61 and get to cuttin. Very good saw with the latest orange top. Your saw should have the larger Tillotson hs254b carb from factory. Your 61 carb would work on a 268 or 272xp saw. If you want to rebuild a larger saw, find one that is stock and has all the correct parts.

The very early ones have a carb and intake manifold with bolts that are skewed the reverse of the later ones, and those still can be converted, but you'll need a complete intake tract. I changed my 1983 white top to a 272 and what I did was rethread the ends of the intake manifold bolts to 4mm from 5mm. The bigger bore saw has smaller bolts for more intake port size and without "stepping" the bolt size down the way I did you would not be able to line up the pieces for assembly. I've seen sponsors here that have a nice kit all ready to go with all of the correct part to do the change over to 272. Bolts, manifold, carb and p&c. The jug and exhaust bolts on without any mods at all. You'll love it. Mine is my go to saw for almost every cutting chore.

i used a 272 topend on my j-red 625, it really runs well, not as easy of a swap as it is on the husky, i also have a complete set up to convert my early white top 61, been itchin to do it here soon:rock:

Well NH as far as carbs go..the 61 carb will run a 268XP or 272XP top end fine..however it is what degree of performance you are striving for with this upgrade. The one in my sig is a gray top 61...I mixed and matched 670 Jonsered and 268XP parts and ported cyl and opened up the windows in the piston. It runs very strong and is as dependable as anything...daily user..requiires very little fussing/tuning..just starts right up and judst rips...but I was trying to get as much as I could out of the parts I had at the shop. I am building another just about identical on a 630 Jred case now so it's the right color..very good power.....or Xtra Power.....

Thanks for the input, yes it does have the larger carb. I will check out the sponsors and see what kits are available

Thanks for the input, yes it does have the larger carb. I will check out the sponsors and see what kits are available

good luck with the upgrade. if you find a vendor with an upgrade kit, post it on this thread. i still have grey top 61 that i bought new in the late eighties. it has a ton of hours on it but still has 150psi compression. i've been pondering upgrading with a 272 top end and have the same questions you have posed. i'm concerned that i will need a different carb and linkage to make the job worthwhile. also there isn't room under the grey top for a bigger air filter.

As it stands I bought a parts saw from dozer dan. I haven't got it in my hands yet but I am hoping that it will have all the parts that I need to make the conversion:msp_biggrin:

I have built two 61/272 's so far. I don't like the 4mm intake threads! 1mm up to 5mm shouldn't make a lick of difference , but...

I would keep it a 61 and do a nice mm with base gasket delete. They are great runners as is. I believe the upgrade will do fine but you most likley will have top cover fitment issues. Unless you are just wanting to build it for kicks then more power to you. Plenty of threads on here of how to do it. Use search and you will get burried with info. And if you upgrade go with 272 p/c.

Back